Old August 1st 05, 11:35 AM

Reg Edwards wrote:
What's all this childish, long running fuss about?

Much ado about nothing, Reg.

There's nothing whatever to prevent radio hams from
carrying on in
their traditional, relatively well-ordered,
self-disciplined ways.

Most of them will do just that.

There's plenty of room on the bands to share with a little more QRM.

The more the merrier!

And CB-ers cannot possibly interfere with use of soldering
irons on
the kitchen table. There always has been obstruction by the
XYL.

I once built a receiver on the kitchen table. Had all the bits
and tools in a large wooden box. I'd clear the table, put down
yesterday's newspapers to protect the surface, then build. At the
end of the work session the parts were all put away and the
newspapers were carefully folded up, containing all the wire
snipends, metal filings, etc.

1977 or so, when I was in a small apartment. Still have the receiver.

Just give it time and the more unruly band users will either
fall into line or change hobby to tropical fish.

Hopefully!

Thanks for all the great software, btw.

--

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old August 1st 05, 01:07 PM
ZZZZPK

"MW0GUV" wrote:

:
: anyone with even basic understanding of the term resonant will
: tell you that one length can not resonate "across 40 metres"
:
:
: Are you sure Paddy? I'm sure I read about the 'Barnacle effect' somewhere

yes i'm sure...

and just who is this paddy you keep referring to ?

Old August 1st 05, 03:06 PM
- Jock.

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:34:49 -0700, "John Smith" wrote:

Trust me, I am a fan of Reg, have nothing but for respect for his style of
communication in text... not only caliber, but substance!

I don't think Reg drinks Caliber, he probably quaffs
the real stuff.

73 de Jock.
--

It is impossible to lick your elbow.
Old August 1st 05, 03:24 PM
PromaBoss

thats whjy i beleive in a free system for those who dont wish ot build or
repair

legailse 2 metres/70cms maybe only single freqs not repeaters for anyone who
wants to,a licence to purchased but no need to learn morse and other
things,so ok still a liocence nbut make it easier

then the other liocences for those who require more.

and why insult cbers all the time again i have known many a good cber and
many a bad one

seems like you want to just have ham radio to a few in th clique

things will change regardlss OFCOM really does not want the hassle of loking
after any two way radio,least alon ameteur,it wants more of a free for all
on all bands.

i disagree with much of OFCOMS ideas but ham radio ifd its going to survive
needs to welcome more people regardless of abackgoind and abiklities

i fail to see why i should know how to put an aerail together or solder
something when all i want to do[not really just hypothetixcally] is speak
into it to contact someone else.

"Polymath" wrote in message
Ham Radio has a well-regarded position in society as the
nest from which the engineers of the country fledge; but
what is its position today; and, do we wish to do anything
about that tradition?

1. We have a privileged position in that we are authorised both
to make and also to operate our own transmitters. No-one else has the
privileges of both and hence we are in a unique position. Do we wish
to preserve this status quo, or, are we happy that our numbers
are increasingly over-run by CB types, by which category I mean those
who buy their rigs ready-made off-the-shelf and even send them back
when minor repairs are needed?

2. Ham Radio has traditions of international gentlemanliness, but you
might
think otherwise from reading these NG. The foul-mouthed infantile temper
tantrum is an increasing problem, and, as such, it reflects badly upon us.
Do
we wish this to continue, or should we set ourselves firmly apart from
such people AND REFUSE EVEN TO DISCOURSE WITH THEM,
THESE CHILDISH BROADCASTERS (CBERS), IN THESE NG?

3. The self-styled "national" society, in Britland at least, is going
through a
financial crisis as the _REAL_ Radio Hams leave in their droves when faced
with an influx of what can only be described as CBers. (How else can you
describe
a 6-year-old licensee who does not have the mathematical skill set to
deal with decimals, let alone the elementary transpositions that are
necessary
to deal with Ohm's Law?). Do we wish to have a society that represents the
technical aficionado that is the _REAL_ Radio Ham?

In short, do we simply stand by whilst the Mongolian Hordes of
Ne'er-Do-Wells
destroy what we and out predecessors have setup?

Old August 1st 05, 03:38 PM
Reg Edwards

There's plenty of room on the bands to share with a little more
QRM.

The more the merrier!

You could not be more wrong.
:-(

73 de G3NYY

============================

Oh yes he could!

Radio amateurs thrive when in the midst of QRM and N. Brings out the
best in 'em. Determination and the competitive spirit.

Without it, on a silent band, they are in danger of lapsing back into
the state of couch potatoes with nothing to discuss except the weather
and their state of health.
----
Reg

Old August 1st 05, 03:59 PM
John Smith

Jock:

You sure you are not related to Jacque Straap, me and that guy were really
tight in high school and college.

He was a real supporter of mine...

John

Old August 1st 05, 04:04 PM
John Smith

Reg:

AMEN!

A call to arms where sword, shield and steed are called upon to defend the
honor.... nothing heats the blood better than the toss of a gauntlet!

Onward to glory will become the cry in the land!

John

Old August 1st 05, 04:08 PM
John Smith

Nedlar:

Quality? Don't need quantity?

Just how does one tell the "quality girly-man whiners" here from the "not so
quality ones?"

We need a flood of new amateurs to wash this stale and poisonous "air" away
which has been generated by inaction and lack of progress.

John

"Nedlar " Nedlar wrote in message
On 1 Aug 2005 03:35:18 -0700, wrote:

The more the merrier!

What utter rubbish. What we need is more QUALITY not quantity. The
infestation of the amateur bands by low-life CB scum is rapidly
killing the hobby.

Old August 1st 05, 04:13 PM
John Smith

PB:

In reading your post, I was able to get the gist of it...

You are on the right track there... "fixes" are now being applied, have
patience, the "berlin wall of radio" begins to fall...

John