Old July 31st 05, 12:25 PM
Polymath

Default What is Ham Radio coming to?

Ham Radio has a well-regarded position in society as the
nest from which the engineers of the country fledge; but
what is its position today; and, do we wish to do anything
about that tradition?

1. We have a privileged position in that we are authorised both
to make and also to operate our own transmitters. No-one else has the
privileges of both and hence we are in a unique position. Do we wish
to preserve this status quo, or, are we happy that our numbers
are increasingly over-run by CB types, by which category I mean those
who buy their rigs ready-made off-the-shelf and even send them back
when minor repairs are needed?

2. Ham Radio has traditions of international gentlemanliness, but you might
think otherwise from reading these NG. The foul-mouthed infantile temper
tantrum is an increasing problem, and, as such, it reflects badly upon us.
Do
we wish this to continue, or should we set ourselves firmly apart from
such people AND REFUSE EVEN TO DISCOURSE WITH THEM,
THESE CHILDISH BROADCASTERS (CBERS), IN THESE NG?

3. The self-styled "national" society, in Britland at least, is going
through a
financial crisis as the _REAL_ Radio Hams leave in their droves when faced
with an influx of what can only be described as CBers. (How else can you
describe
a 6-year-old licensee who does not have the mathematical skill set to
deal with decimals, let alone the elementary transpositions that are
necessary
to deal with Ohm's Law?). Do we wish to have a society that represents the
technical aficionado that is the _REAL_ Radio Ham?

In short, do we simply stand by whilst the Mongolian Hordes of
Ne'er-Do-Wells
destroy what we and out predecessors have setup?

Old July 31st 05, 01:33 PM
Reg Edwards

What's all this childish, long running fuss about?

There's nothing whatever to prevent radio hams from carrying on in
their traditional, relatively well-ordered, self-disciplined ways.

There's plenty of room on the bands to share with a little more QRM.

And CB-ers cannot possibly interfere with use of soldering irons on
the kitchen table. There always has been obstruction by the XYL.

Just give it time and the more unruly band users will either fall into
line or change hobby to tropical fish.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old July 31st 05, 01:42 PM
Polymath

You mean the intellectual MINNOWS who dare to
appROACH our high PERCHES and have the auDACE-ity
to CARP that they are our equals despite that they are PIKEys?

Perhaps you meant freshwater fish?

Old July 31st 05, 01:45 PM
MW0GUV

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
What's all this childish, long running fuss about?

There's nothing whatever to prevent radio hams from carrying on in
their traditional, relatively well-ordered, self-disciplined ways.

There's plenty of room on the bands to share with a little more QRM.

And CB-ers cannot possibly interfere with use of soldering irons on
the kitchen table. There always has been obstruction by the XYL.

Just give it time and the more unruly band users will either fall into
line or change hobby to tropical fish.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Can anyone tell me what the length my Koi Carp has to be to be resonant
across 40 metres?

Andy MW0GUV

Old July 31st 05, 01:53 PM
an old friend

Polymath wrote:
Ham Radio has a well-regarded position in society as the
nest from which the engineers of the country fledge; but
what is its position today; and, do we wish to do anything
about that tradition?

1. We have a privileged position in that we are authorised both
to make and also to operate our own transmitters. No-one else has the
privileges of both and hence we are in a unique position. Do we wish
to preserve this status quo, or, are we happy that our numbers
are increasingly over-run by CB types, by which category I mean those
who buy their rigs ready-made off-the-shelf and even send them back
when minor repairs are needed?

No one is required to build to their sets (at least no license that I
aware there are some odd byways in theworld) and the we do get tired of
the whining about how you used to have to blow the galls for your own
tubes over a hot fire

2. Ham Radio has traditions of international gentlemanliness, but you might
think otherwise from reading these NG. The foul-mouthed infantile temper
tantrum is an increasing problem, and, as such, it reflects badly upon us.
Do

the foul mouths and most infantile tempers are amoug those Old time
hams whoose passing your seem too lament

we wish this to continue, or should we set ourselves firmly apart from
such people AND REFUSE EVEN TO DISCOURSE WITH THEM,
THESE CHILDISH BROADCASTERS (CBERS), IN THESE NG?

3. The self-styled "national" society, in Britland at least, is going
through a
financial crisis as the _REAL_ Radio Hams leave in their droves when faced

and you know these hams are leaving for these reason how?

Maybe like myself leaving the ARRL they are simply fed up with the
entrenched interests there trying to kill the ARS

with an influx of what can only be described as CBers. (How else can you
describe
a 6-year-old licensee who does not have the mathematical skill set to

as a Ham radio operator of course

Old July 31st 05, 02:13 PM
MW0GUV

"an old friend" wrote in message
oups.com...

Please don't include poly wallys crap in your posts, I have him tucked
nicely away in my killfile and have no wish to read his twaddle.

Thanks

Andy MW0GUV

Old July 31st 05, 02:13 PM
MW0GUV

"Nedlar " Nedlar wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:45:28 +0100, "MW0GUV" wrote:

Can anyone tell me what the length my Koi Carp has to be to be resonant
across 40 metres?

Andy MW0GUV

Twice the width of your mouth.

You are an idiot and a coward

Andy MW0GUV

Old July 31st 05, 03:06 PM
Ken Ward

"MW0GUV" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what the length my Koi Carp has to be to be resonant
across 40 metres?

I think you will find that resonance ACROSS the 40 mt. band is relative to
the "girth" of the fish rather than length.

Yours piscatorially KW.

Old July 31st 05, 04:39 PM
John Smith

Polymath:

You don't need CW to build a transmitter, calm down, take the meds, it will be
ok...

John

Old July 31st 05, 04:41 PM
John Smith

Reg:

Thank you for attempting to restore some sanity here...

However, don't be disappointed if your logic, common sense and decades of
experience is wasted here--seems these fellows won't take the psyche meds and
are believing the "visions" occurring in their minds...

John