Old May 14th 07, 02:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default I'd buy that for a dollar!

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Other than your being a whiny, greedy little weasel? Now I remember
why I have you kill filed on news:rec.antiques.radio+phono You distort
what people say in a lame attempt to try to make your point, yet its
obvious that you can't be trusted. When you can't do that, you point
out a typo.

.... wow, "greedy little weasel", never been called that before, but coming
from you, it means nothing ... BTW: all my teeth are healthy, I'll send
some 8 x 10 glossies ....

Not every estate has something worth selling, and some are settled by
bring in a construction dumpster to haul away anything the family
doesn't want.

.... you have made a correct statement, congrats!!

I can't remember the last time I saw an estate sale advertised near
here. The ads that turn up on line are for places up to 200 miles
away. What does show up are EMPTY homes, land, high mileage vehicles
and show animals.

..... sounds like you live in a undesireable area, I am not surprised

BTW, I will not post any details online about the city I live closest
to, because of our resident stalker.

.... perfect

Old May 14th 07, 06:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Ken G. wrote:

Whoever did that estate sale, obviously, did not have their client in
their best interest or even had a clue ... ... and Phil, knowing what
you know, you ripped your neighbor off ...

Well Graham some of these estate cleanout sales are geared to get rid of
stuff instead of trying to run an antique shop where half the stuff dont
sell because its all priced to high then the estate sale company just
keeps it & sells it . I noticed this happening here years back so most
people now just sell the stuff themselves . I have not seen an ``estate
company`` doing estates here for some time now .
One estate sale company near here gathers up the good stuff , looks up
its value from books and internet then puts 1/3 that value on the stuff

Having "been there, done that" unless there is a pile of known good
stuff, or possibly good stuff, a family may have far more interest in
clearing the home quickly - while a mortgage may still be running on the
property and real estate taxes have to be paid and the stuff has to go
before the house can even be fixed up and shown to buyers - than picking
nits over whether they should have got $5.00 versus $15.00 for any given
item. And dragging an Estate Auctioneer into the process doesn't
guarantee a higher return either - when a bunch of dealers show up for
the sale who *do not* want to pay top dollar for anything. Or an
Auctioneer who drags their own "Antiques" into the sale and ends up
selling far more of their merchandise than your own.

An Estate Auction is an option. But squeezing every penny out of
relatively worthless items isn't always the top priority when clearing a
house. Phil got darn lucky on that radio. But seriously, do you think a
bidding war would have broken out on a radio like that if their was an
Estate auction?

Rick
Old May 14th 07, 06:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Rick wrote:

Ken G. wrote:

[...]

I see offers on Freecycle to clean out houses around here. They
divide the stuff into rough groupings, and just give it away, rather
than spend the time needed on more pressing matters. I don't reply to
any of the offers, because there is always someone who needs the stuff
more than I do.

When my next door neighbor died, a guy he'd more or less raised years
ago showed up with a big truck and trailer to take his best hand and
power tools, then he left everything else behind. My dad helped the
widow clean the place out, and I made countless trips to different
thrift stores to give away truckloads of things she didn't want to keep
so the older home could be replaced.

Its like a thread on news:sci.electronics.design about volunteerism
right now. Why hang on to a lot of household items you don't need, when
people have lost their homes to fire, tornados, hurricanes or other
situations that isn't their fault?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old May 15th 07, 05:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Rick" wrote in message ...

Having "been there, done that" unless there is a pile of known good
stuff, or possibly good stuff, a family may have far more interest in
clearing the home quickly -

.... that is where we can be of high value ... we know what the good stuff
is (most do not) and we attract the buyers for it ... as of today, I
have
over 1700 names on our sale email list ... many of those are regulars
that
routinely come to our sales ... it is not unusual for us to have 400+
people
a day coming to a sale (space permitting) buying paper items (old post
cards,
photos, documents, maps, letters, advertising, etc.), old tableware,
dishes,
cast iron pans, knives, spice tins, vintage clothes, books, bedroom sets
musical instruments, dining room sets, chairs, couches, sewing machines,
tools, bottles, jars, cars, boats, trailers, motor homes, hell, we sold
an
airplane once ... then you get into new stuff sales too ... tv's,
microwaves,
computers, canned food, kitchen appliances, virtually anything you have
in your house today ... the vast majority is good, sellable stuff, if it
wasn't
we won't take the sale ...

while a mortgage may still be running on the
property and real estate taxes have to be paid and the stuff has to go
before the house can even be fixed up and shown to buyers -

.... many times the house is already on the market, the older houses are
paid for and since the process for one of our normal sales only takes
a week ... 5 days to setup and the sale on Saturday & Sunday, your
above statement is not an issue ...

than picking
nits over whether they should have got $5.00 versus $15.00 for any given
item.

.... pricing is totally up to us ... items over $50.00 are priced, bids are
accepted
until 2:00pm Sunday afternoon, we then call the high bidder if the item
didn't
sell at the full asking price ... items $50.00 and under are 1/2 price
all day Sunday

And dragging an Estate Auctioneer into the process doesn't
guarantee a higher return either - when a bunch of dealers show up for
the sale who *do not* want to pay top dollar for anything.

..... dealers or regulars, contrary to your opinion, are our best customers
and pay the higher prices because they know what they are buying
and what they can get for it ...

Or an
Auctioneer who drags their own "Antiques" into the sale and ends up
selling far more of their merchandise than your own.

.... I know a dozen or so, they have so much stuff brought to them
there is no need for them to pad the auction with
"their own "Antiques" , there is just no reason to ...

An Estate Auction is an option. But squeezing every penny out of
relatively worthless items isn't always the top priority when clearing a
house. Phil got darn lucky on that radio. But seriously, do you think a
bidding war would have broken out on a radio like that if their was an
Estate auction?

.... unless it is a huge estate, a tag sale works better than an auction,
that is what we do, everything in the house is priced, an auction
is good for large or similar lots of stuff ....

.... after looking at Phil's radio, I would have priced it at $60.00 and
would
have expected bids in the $30.00 to $40.00 range if it didn't sell at
full boat ... we usually sell every old radio we come across ...

BTW: I would have pulled the 1L6 and left it with the cashier, I do that
with some of the more valuable tubes and knobs too ...

... you know how those radio guys can get .... ;-)

Old May 16th 07, 12:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

that is where we can be of high value ... we know what the good stuff
* is (most do not) and we attract the buyers for it ... as of today,

You know thats all nicey nice but your service charges to do that . If
it was just all sold without you guys they would make about the same
amount anyway .

Old May 16th 07, 02:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Ken G." wrote in message

that is where we can be of high value ... we know what the good stuff
is (most do not) and we attract the buyers for it ... as of today,

You know thats all nicey nice but your service charges to do that .

.... there is no service charge, we work on commision ... Ken, you
are showing your ignorance about how the estate sale world
operates ...

If it was just all sold without you guys they would make about the same
amount anyway .

..... but you can't do that Ken, you or the "family or friends" won't
sell everything .. nothing personal, but it requires much more
than putting everything in a dollar bag and moving it out the door

.... I am not going to waste anymore time on the subject, we can
make more money for the family or the probate estate, net to
them, then they could make by just jumping into it .. we do it
on a weekly basis .... don't believe it, that is ok, you really don't
know what this business is all about ..

.... me thinks you just don't like estate sale prices, so be it ..

I can live with that

Old May 16th 07, 06:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

I am not going to waste anymore time on the subject,

Thanks !

me thinks you just don't like estate sale prices, so be it ..

No .. no one likes ``estate service `` prices . Lets see a show of hands
here .

Old May 16th 07, 07:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Ken G." wrote:

I am not going to waste anymore time on the subject,

Thanks !

me thinks you just don't like estate sale prices, so be it ..

No .. no one likes ``estate service `` prices . Lets see a show of hands
here .

I've already plonked him. Doesn't that count?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old May 16th 07, 11:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I've already plonked him. Doesn't that count?

I had him plonked in r.a.r+p - have now done so in a.b.p.r... seems he
is spreading like some unwelcome mold or mildew... So that's two hands.

best regards...
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com
Old May 16th 07, 06:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Ken G." wrote in message

No .. no one likes ``estate service `` prices . Lets see a show of hands
here .

.... we have plenty of customers that do ...