Old July 3rd 07, 02:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default Whats this antenna for

I`m not familiar at all with antenna lingo .
If you look at it strait the zig zags are pretty much centered
The measurements are total across the entire antenna . I am beginning to
wonder if this is part of a big antenna or something . I dont see any
extra holes or broken ends but do see pole mounts . I dont see what good
having no connection between the parts is and its strange why the part
with the wing nuts is floating , not mounted and no signs of it being
mounted . If you pulled very hard on the cable it would bend the zig
zags .

It must have been used before ?? it was sitting on top of the chimeny of
my shop then the wind blew it down the roof far enough so i could snag
it .

I guess it would make an iteresting towel rack .

Old July 3rd 07, 04:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Ken G." wrote in message
I`m not familiar at all with antenna lingo .
If you look at it strait the zig zags are pretty much centered
The measurements are total across the entire antenna . I am beginning to
wonder if this is part of a big antenna or something . I dont see any
extra holes or broken ends but do see pole mounts . I dont see what good
having no connection between the parts is and its strange why the part
with the wing nuts is floating , not mounted and no signs of it being
mounted . If you pulled very hard on the cable it would bend the zig
zags .

It must have been used before ?? it was sitting on top of the chimeny of
my shop then the wind blew it down the roof far enough so i could snag
it .

I guess it would make an iteresting towel rack .

Ha! And so it would!
I think you are right, it is part of a larger antenna.
Strange looking anyway.
Regards,
Tom

Old July 3rd 07, 04:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

I wonder about a couple of the details of this antenna, first why are
the reflector elements insulated from the boom?

1) In the Ham world, if the element goes through the boom and is
electrically in contact (shorted) the width of that boom is subtracted from
the total element length when calculating resonance, directors and
reflectors.

2) It may have rotating elements to accommodate shipping and installation.

Those are my guesses.

PP

Old July 4th 07, 12:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default this antenna Other side

Yep .. uh--hu

Old July 4th 07, 12:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default this antenna folds up

Neet & purdy

Old July 4th 07, 12:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default End of this antenna

Maybe this will put an ``end`` to this !

Old July 4th 07, 02:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Paul P" REMOVE paul @ REMOVE ppinyot . REMOVEcom wrote in message
I wonder about a couple of the details of this antenna, first why are
the reflector elements insulated from the boom?

1) In the Ham world, if the element goes through the boom and is
electrically in contact (shorted) the width of that boom is subtracted
from the total element length when calculating resonance, directors and
reflectors.

The way it appears is that the elements are insulated from the boom, and
also broken in the middle, like a dipole would be. If they were active
log elements for the higher VHF channels, I'd expect to see transposing
jumpers interconnecting each set of elements, and also that the elements
lengths would taper... So, those fold up elements make terrible yagi
elements, and they won't work very well as reflectors for the UHF
zig-zag elements. It would be nice to know if that was mounted by
itself on a mast? It looks like a Channel Master design?

Pete

Old July 4th 07, 02:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Uncle Peter wrote:
[...]

Back in the day antenna companies made custom antennas for a specific
area that were combinations for vhf-uhf TV stations. Maybe it's one of
those.
Old July 4th 07, 06:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 19:58:42 -0600, (Ken G.) wrote:

i guess UHF

The zig-zag part looks like a 6 dipole collinear. If that is the case
the yagi-like elements would act as a reflector.

whats up? Radio TexMex Shortwave 4 July 5th 06 08:25 PM
Whats up with the ULS Kap Swap 1 April 30th 05 08:11 PM
Whats on 4.845? gil Shortwave 2 December 30th 03 04:19 AM
Whats the value? LJ Boatanchors 1 November 8th 03 09:28 PM
Whats up Dan/W4NTI Policy 8 August 25th 03 02:25 PM