RadioBanter

-   Radio Photos (https://www.radiobanter.com/radio-photos/)
-   -   I remember! (https://www.radiobanter.com/radio-photos/122066-i-remember.html)

Brian Hill July 10th 07 11:57 PM

I remember!

back when I was learning there wasn't no tab or no internet etc.. and you
had to read music to learn a song and finding a book was few and far between
and you would sit up till all hrs of the night and day playing along with
records or the radio to learn a song and I didn't know about drop tunings
and I found all kinds of strange ways to play songs that I found out later
were in drop tuning. Yea those days made you work for it!

--
Regards
B.H.

Brian Hill July 10th 07 11:59 PM

I remember!

Sorry guys wrong group!

BH

Brenda Ann July 11th 07 12:33 AM

I remember!

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

Sorry guys wrong group!

BH

NP Brian. You're right, the old days you DID have to work for it.. for
almost anything. But it was all worth it, gave one a sense of accomplishment
that you don't get today with all the test answers published online and
colored keytabs for keyboards, etc.

Take care. Stay cool.

Hagstar July 11th 07 01:23 AM

I remember!

I don't remember much of anything good about the old days. They're gone-
that's good. Mostly I remember JFK's death, duck and cover drills, Cuban
Missiles, Vietnam body counts, Selma, Watts, Newark, then RFK and Martin
Luther King,

John H.

Hagstar July 11th 07 01:28 AM

I remember!

PS- Oh, and I remember lots of hippies. They burned my dad's office at
Columbia in '68. They're driving SUVs to Wal-Mart and McDonalds and voting
GOP today. No movement has ever fizzled so completely and so clearly proved
the utter shallow self-serving hypocrisy of its members.

John H.

Brenda Ann July 11th 07 02:06 AM

I remember!

"Hagstar" wrote in message
I don't remember much of anything good about the old days. They're gone-
that's good. Mostly I remember JFK's death, duck and cover drills, Cuban
Missiles, Vietnam body counts, Selma, Watts, Newark, then RFK and Martin
Luther King,

John H.

Not much good about these days either, John.

Today we have daily scandals in DC, duct tape and garbage bags, terror
threats real and imagined, kids killing kids for their shoes, people killing
people for sport or as a form of suicide, the Axis of Evil, Katrina victims,
widespread firestorms, Iraq and Afghanistan body counts and a choice of
presidential candidates that is really no choice at all.

All in the way you choose to look at things. In some ways the Hippies were
right.. but, like most anyone, they sold out to the system and the almighty
dollar in the end. And the cold war was better than the one we're in now
(and is also seemingly making a comeback), in that at least the Soviets had
more or less the same morals that we did, and placed the same importance on
the lives of at least themselves and their families. This century's crazies
don't care, whether they are Islamic extremist crazies or college and high
school student crazies.

All that aside, nobody used the words "good old days". Only "old days",
when we earned what we got, instead of expecting it to be given to us just
for the asking. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I thought that was
better.

C'est la vie.

Stay safe, John.

skinnysteve July 11th 07 11:31 AM

I remember!

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 20:28:50 -0400, "Hagstar"
wrote:

PS- Oh, and I remember lots of hippies. They burned my dad's office at
Columbia in '68. They're driving SUVs to Wal-Mart and McDonalds and voting
GOP today. No movement has ever fizzled so completely and so clearly proved
the utter shallow self-serving hypocrisy of its members.

John H.

ya no real hippies left except me that is

Ken July 11th 07 11:59 AM

I remember!

Brian Hill wrote:
back when I was learning there wasn't no tab or no internet etc.. and you
had to read music to learn a song and finding a book was few and far between
and you would sit up till all hrs of the night and day playing along with
records or the radio to learn a song and I didn't know about drop tunings
and I found all kinds of strange ways to play songs that I found out later
were in drop tuning. Yea those days made you work for it!

What is 'drop tuning'? Ken

Bruce Y July 11th 07 04:37 PM

I remember!

They're driving SUVs to Wal-Mart and McDonalds and voting
GOP today.

-
This 50+ year old hippie drives a Ford Ranger 4-cylinder gas miser, and has
never voted for a nazi.

jakdedert July 11th 07 10:39 PM

I remember!

Bruce Y wrote:

They're driving SUVs to Wal-Mart and McDonalds and voting
GOP today.

-
This 50+ year old hippie drives a Ford Ranger 4-cylinder gas miser, and has
never voted for a nazi.

Me either...not intentionally that is. A few I voted for didn't turn
out so well, so I worked for their opponents in the next election. I'm
driving my 30+ mpg '90 Corolla (14 years after I bought it); and
fighting the death penalty (and everything this administration stands
for, in general).

What are you up to these days, John?

jak

Rick[_6_] July 12th 07 03:11 AM

I remember!

"Pepperidge Farm remembers. But I forget!"

Anyone besides me remember what show that 2 liner was in?

Rick

Jeffrey D Angus July 12th 07 05:35 AM

I remember!

From: Wikipidea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suite:_Judy_Blue_Eyes

"Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" is a song — or rather, a suite of short
songs or sections — written by Stephen Stills and performed by
Crosby, Stills and Nash, which first appeared on their self-titled
debut album in 1969. It was also released as a single(edited and
in mono), going to #21 on the Billboard Pop Singles chart. The
song is ranked #418 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest
Songs of All Time.

The group has performed this song many times, most famously at
the Woodstock and Live Aid festivals. The title is presumably a
play on words for "Sweet Judy Blue Eyes."

The acoustic guitar for the song is tuned to a very unusual tuning.
Rather than the strings being tuned to the traditional EADGBE,
they are instead tuned to EEEEBE. Stills used this same tuning for
"4+20". He uses a similiar tuning for "Carry On" but drops the
notes down one half step. (EbEbEbEbBbEb)

Jeff

--
RESTRICTED AREA. Anyone intruding shall immediately become subject to
the jurisdiction of military law. Intruders will be subject to lethal

Uncle Peter July 12th 07 10:08 PM

I remember!

"Hagstar" wrote in message
I don't remember much of anything good about the old days. They're gone-
that's good. Mostly I remember JFK's death, duck and cover drills, Cuban
Missiles, Vietnam body counts, Selma, Watts, Newark, then RFK and Martin
Luther King,

John H.

I remember JFK.. I remember his and dream, and Americans
putting a man on the moon...

I remember AM radio when it was king.

Life was good.

Tom Biasi July 13th 07 12:15 AM

I remember!

I remember JFK.. I remember his and dream, and Americans
putting a man on the moon...

I remember AM radio when it was king.

Life was good.

Hey,
AM radio is king now.
How does it go? Dope smoking, long hair, maggot infested, hippy FM jocks?

Tom

Hagstar July 13th 07 01:53 AM

I remember!

"Bruce Y" wrote in message

They're driving SUVs to Wal-Mart and McDonalds and voting
GOP today.

-
This 50+ year old hippie drives a Ford Ranger 4-cylinder gas miser, and
has
never voted for a nazi.

Thanks, me too !

John H.

Hagstar July 13th 07 01:56 AM

I remember!

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message

Life was good.

I'm a very late Boomer- JFK disappeared early on, the rest of the '60s in
NYC area anyway was tumultuous, putting nicely. Cousin Brucie was god
though.

John H.

Ron in Radio Heaven July 13th 07 02:16 AM

I remember!

Hagstar wrote:
I'm a very late Boomer- JFK disappeared early on,

I was in the 6th grade when JFK was killed and the
Beatles first came on the scene.
It was a very interesting time to be growing up.

Watched every space shot there was, just eat it up.
Got my first transistor radio for my birthday
just before Alan Shepard's first sub orbital flight,
a little green Motorola that I still have.
In the forth grade my teacher asked me to bring my
radio to class the next day so we could listen to John Glen
first real orbital flight... I got to sit in class all day listening
with my ear phone with instructions to interrupt if anything
interesting happened. I was the RADIO MAN, it ruined me.

73 all,

Ron
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/

Bruce Y July 13th 07 04:28 AM

I remember!

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message

Life was good.

I'm a very late Boomer- JFK disappeared early on, the rest of the '60s in
NYC area anyway was tumultuous, putting nicely. Cousin Brucie was god
though.

John H.

Did someone say Cousin Brucie?
That aint me, but this is:

http://www.musicradio77.com/fullairchecks.html

Jeffrey D Angus July 13th 07 11:01 AM

I remember!

Hagstar wrote:
I don't remember much of anything good about the old days. They're
gone- that's good. Mostly I remember JFK's death, duck and cover
drills, Cuban Missiles, Vietnam body counts, Selma, Watts, Newark,
then RFK and Martin Luther King,

Lest we forget, "The gun control act of 1968" and wage and price
controls. Charles Manson and the Manson Family. The Symbionese
Liberation Army. The John Birch Society. The Great Society. Students
for a Democratic Society. And with Watergate, the media's ascension
to serial killer status in that from that time forward, they've made
it their goal to destroy anyone in office.

Oh, and personally, graduating from high school just in time for the
first collapse of the aerospace industry. "Help wanted: Service
station attendant. NO engineers!"

Oh yeah, trying to make sense of it all trying to grow up living under
the fear of a nuclear holocaust or ending up as a box gift wrapped by
the Army.

The only nice thing about that time was not knowing about AIDS,
crack cocaine, crystal meth, disco or reality TV.

Jeff

Brenda Ann July 14th 07 12:21 AM

I remember!

"Jeffrey D Angus" wrote in message
Hagstar wrote:
[...]

There is good and bad in every time and in every endeavor.

Things I remember from the 60's:

Television worth watching, where the most violence you saw was on Road
Runner cartoons.

Tuning across the (AM) dial at night to hear all the interesting things..
programs (mostly all different) from thousands of miles away, it was almost
like being there.

Going to school to learn things, from teachers that went there to teach. And
the most dangerous thing in school was the playground bully.. and he only
used fists.

Riding bicycles without having to get geared up to look like some sort of
unearthly monster.

Being able to do things like mow lawns or do field work to earn money (try
that now if you're under 16!)

Secret prisons were something that the bad guys had.

You could drive for a week (or more) on $5 worth of gas. (now you can just
about get home from the gas station)

I could walk into a radio shop and watch the tech work on things for hours,
and not only did he not get upset, he tought me as he went. (now there are
virtually no repair shops left, and most of the ones that are, don't repair,
they exchange).

A hamburger was 19 cents. If you wanted fries and a Coke, it was 45 cents.
If you felt like going to eat at a real cafe, sit in a booth and have
someone serve you, the price went up to a dollar.

You could take a Greyhound to ANYWHERE for under $20! (now they have
cancelled most routes completely, and stop in far fewer towns on the ones
they still have)

Sometimes, kids would get in a fight during a Little League game. The
parents broke it up, instead of participating.

You weren't worried about whether your neighbor was a serial killer,
abductor, or politician.

You could go out all day, and never lock your door.

You knew your neighbor, and even shared your time, your lawn mower or your
BBQ with them.

Kids played outside, instead of sitting endless hours in front of the TV or
computer.

So, yeah. There was Richard Speck, Sirhan Sirhan, Jack Ruby, Herbert
Hoover's dossier's, the Cuban missile crisis, the Watts riots... but
overall, things were not so bad. The Russians did a lot of sabre rattling,
but I don't recall any bombs.

William Sommerwerck[_2_] July 14th 07 12:35 AM

I remember!

Things I remember from the 60's:

Television worth watching, where the most violence you saw
was on Road Runner cartoons.

An odd remark, as we're now living in the Platinum Age of television... The
Soparanos, Mythbusters, and The Simpsons/King of the Hill/South Park, to
name just a handful of great shows. I ought to throw in the live version of
The Tick, one of the most wonderfully written TV shows I've ever seen.

I could walk into a radio shop and watch the tech work on things
for hours, and not only did he not get upset, he tought me as he
went. Virtually no repair shops are left, and most of the ones that
are, don't repair, they exchange.

This appears to be because most modern electronics cannot be economically
repaired. And even if it's built to last, changing technology has an
irritating way of rendering it obsolete 5 to 10 times as fast as it used to.

A hamburger was 19 cents. * If you wanted fries and a Coke,
it was 45 cents. If you felt like going to eat at a real cafe, sit
in a booth and have someone serve you, the price went up to
a dollar.

You're looking at Ye Olde Days through rose-colored glasses. How did those
prices compare to your disposable income?

* More like 15 cents.

You weren't worried about whether your neighbor was a serial killer,
abductor, or politician.

grin

You could go out all day, and never lock your door.

In Bermuda, perhaps, but that was hardly common in the US.

So, yeah. There was Richard Speck, Sirhan Sirhan, Jack Ruby,
Herbert Hoover's dossier's, the Cuban missile crisis, the Watts riots...
but overall, things were not so bad. The Russians did a lot of sabre
rattling, but I don't recall any bombs.

You are ignoring WWII, as it occurred before you were born (or you were very
young). Post-WWII America was certainly its Fat 'n Stupid era.

I'll agree with one thing... We're entering an era where it appears that the
utter stupidity of world leaders (and I'm condemning all of them) will lead
us into a global war that will make double-u double-u 2 (punning reference
intentional) look like a tea party.

Brenda Ann July 14th 07 01:35 AM

I remember!

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
Things I remember from the 60's:

Television worth watching, where the most violence you saw
was on Road Runner cartoons.

An odd remark, as we're now living in the Platinum Age of television...
The
Soparanos, Mythbusters, and The Simpsons/King of the Hill/South Park, to
name just a handful of great shows. I ought to throw in the live version
of
The Tick, one of the most wonderfully written TV shows I've ever seen.

When we were kids, William, shows like those you listed would never have
been allowed on television, let alone during primetime or any time kids
would be watching. And that includes "The Tick" (which, BTW, I agree with
you that it is a very well done show. Patrick Warburton does The Tick to a
tee.. he was made for the part). But it would never have passed the
Television Code.

A hamburger was 19 cents. * If you wanted fries and a Coke,
it was 45 cents. If you felt like going to eat at a real cafe, sit
in a booth and have someone serve you, the price went up to
a dollar.

You're looking at Ye Olde Days through rose-colored glasses. How did those
prices compare to your disposable income?

Actually pretty favorably. As a preteen/early teen I spent a lot of my time
working and earning money. At 12 I worked the strawberry fields (ate up half
their profits... LOL), at 13 and 14, I worked in the (sugar) beet fields.
Early season I would thin (weed), late season I would help with the harvest.
I made up to $8 a day. That may not sound like much, for so much work, but
for a kid back then, it was a lot of money, considering our largest outgo
was 10 cents for a bottle of soda from the machine (5 cents if we bought it
by the glass in a cafe) or a nickel for a candy bar. For the 'bad kids',
the big money was 30 cents for a pack of cigarettes from a machine (a
quarter if they could forge a note from mom or dad and buy them at the
store..)

* More like 15 cents.

The 19 cent figure was at Dee's (at the time the only chain in the Salt Lake
Valley) at a time (1968) when I was actually interested in going to fast
food places.

You weren't worried about whether your neighbor was a serial killer,
abductor, or politician.

grin

You could go out all day, and never lock your door.

In Bermuda, perhaps, but that was hardly common in the US.

In most any place, except maybe the larger cities. Nobody in Salt Lake ever
locked their doors (except businesses), let alone any of the several small
towns I lived in growing up. It was also quite common for people to leave
the keys in their car or pickup so they didn't have to look all over the
house when they wanted to go out. I actually lived in houses that never had
a lock on the front door at all.

David[_3_] July 14th 07 01:38 AM

I remember!

"You can linger too long in your dreams
Say goodbye to the oldies but goodies
'Cause the good old days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it
seems"

Billy Joel

William Sommerwerck[_2_] July 14th 07 04:04 AM

I remember!

Television worth watching, where the most violence you saw
was on Road Runner cartoons.

An odd remark, as we're now living in the Platinum Age of television...
The
Soparanos, Mythbusters, and The Simpsons/King of the Hill/South Park, to
name just a handful of great shows. I ought to throw in the live version
of The Tick, one of the most wonderfully written TV shows I've ever seen.

When we were kids, William, shows like those you listed would never have
been allowed on television, let alone during primetime or any time kids
would be watching. And that includes "The Tick" (which, BTW, I agree with
you that it is a very well done show. Patrick Warburton does The Tick to a
tee.. he was made for the part). But it would never have passed the
Television Code.

My point was about "television worth watching". There was little
"entertainment" programming really worth watching in that era.

jakdedert July 14th 07 04:32 AM

I remember!

William Sommerwerck wrote:
snip
My point was about "television worth watching". There was little
"entertainment" programming really worth watching in that era.

Yet we all watched with rapt attention. There were some shows which I
will still catch today, notably 'The Twilight Zone'. It was the best we
had, and for those of us in rural areas, perhaps the best that can be
imagined at the time.

Like Brenda, I did a lot of odd jobs...mostly farm stuff. I was bucking
hay bales at 14. Before that I drove the tractor and the trucks in the
field. Machinery played a big part in my life, and sometimes I think I
missed my calling as a heavy machine operator. OTOH, being a farm boy,
animals were a constant concern and joy as well...horses especially.

The atmosphere, despite the Cold War, Vietnam and the Six Day War (among
others), not to mention the almost annual political assassinations, was
somehow more relaxed.

jak

Phil Nelson July 14th 07 06:26 AM

I remember!

Nobody in Salt Lake ever locked their doors

Don't tell anyone, but in our previous old country-ish house outside Redmond
WA, we never locked the doors. Too far off the path for anyone to bother.
Plus, we had neighbors with guns.

When we left on a longer vacation, I would make a show of locking the front
door, to instruct our kids that locking up is a Good Thing, but a child
could have gotten into the house within a minute or two.

Phil Nelson

William Sommerwerck[_2_] July 14th 07 12:22 PM

I remember!

The atmosphere, despite the Cold War, Vietnam and the
Six Day War (among others), not to mention the almost
annual political assassinations, was somehow more relaxed.

This was probably because "things" changed more slowly, and we weren't
deluged by what has become nearly omnipresent media.

William Sommerwerck[_2_] July 14th 07 12:26 PM

I remember!

Don't tell anyone, but in our previous old country-ish house
outside Redmond WA, we never locked the doors. Too far
off-the-path for anyone to bother. Plus, we had neighbors
with guns.

This must have been many years ago, because Redmond and surrounding areas
are now so heavily developed that there's no longer any "outside".

Tom Biasi July 14th 07 01:28 PM

I remember!

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

Sorry guys wrong group!

BH

Quite a thread for mistake hey Brian.

The Visitor July 14th 07 02:40 PM

I remember!

William Sommerwerck wrote:
An odd remark, as we're now living in the Platinum Age of television... The
Soparanos, Mythbusters, and The Simpsons/King of the Hill/South Park, to
name just a handful of great shows.

Now I know you're kidding!

Carter-k8vt July 14th 07 02:52 PM

I remember!

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Television worth watching,

The Soparanos, Mythbusters, and The Simpsons/King of the
Hill/South Park, to name just a handful of great shows.

My point was about "television worth watching".

Well, "worth watching" and "great shows" must be a matter of personal
opinion...

I'm not a particularly religious person and certainly not a member of
the "Religious Right" (and will gladly swear like a sailor when called
for), but IMHO, South Park is, for lack of a better term, quite
degenerate. Talk about morality "sliding down the slippery slope", that
show seems to have to slid down to just about the bottom of said slope.

A large majority of the "popular" network shows are infantile. Had a TV
on the bench a year or so ago, can't remember the name of the show but
my wife said it was one of the top two or three.

On the show, they were talking about having attended a lecture about
"homo erectus".

First actor: "He said homo". Tee-hee, giggle giggle, canned laughter

Second actor: "Oh, he said erect". Tee-hee, giggle giggle, canned laughter

Maybe that's funny--if you're in the Third Grade.

Sorry, but IMHO, a large majority of network TV is truly mindless pap.

You're welcome to your opinion, but if you think this is the Golden (or
Platinum) Age of TV, then I've got some nice Florida land I'd like to
sell to you... :-)

Hagstar July 14th 07 02:57 PM

I remember!

"Bruce Y" wrote in message
http://www.musicradio77.com/fullairchecks.html

I lost this link, thanks!

John H.

William Sommerwerck[_2_] July 14th 07 03:47 PM

I remember!

I'm not a particularly religious person and certainly not a member of
the "Religious Right" (and will gladly swear like a sailor when called
for), but IMHO, South Park is, for lack of a better term, quite
degenerate. Talk about morality "sliding down the slippery slope", that
show seems to have to slid down to just about the bottom of said slope.

This is a highly moral -- though utterly vulgar and outrageously tasteless
show. I think you're looking too closely at the surface and not paying
attention to the point -- and there is a point.

Sorry, but IMHO, a large majority of network TV is truly mindless pap.

Most of the shows I referred to were not network shows.

You're welcome to your opinion, but if you think this is the Golden (or
Platinum) Age of TV, then I've got some nice Florida land I'd like to
sell to you... :-)

How much?

Carter-k8vt July 14th 07 05:12 PM

I remember!

William Sommerwerck wrote:

This is a highly moral -- though utterly vulgar and outrageously tasteless
show. I think you're looking too closely at the surface and not paying
attention to the point -- and there is a point.

Well, as you probably can presume, I do not watch the show, so can't
respond to your claim of it being "highly moral" or getting its point.
However, with the little snippets I have seen, I -do- equate your
"utterly vulgar" and "outrageously tasteless" with my "degenerate".

FWIW, I do watch and enjoy 'King of the Hill' and would agree that it is
highly moral-- and amazingly, they seem to be able to do it without
gratuitous vulgarity and outrageous tastelessness.

Sorry, but IMHO, a large majority of network TV is truly mindless pap.

Most of the shows I referred to were not network shows.

Yes, I realized that and that is *specifically* why I did spell out
"network" TV in my response. However, it (network) is still watched by
tens of millions and it is still mindless pap.

You're welcome to your opinion, but if you think this is the Golden (or
Platinum) Age of TV, then I've got some nice Florida land I'd like to
sell to you... :-)

How much?

Best offer!

....but in the meanwhile, it looks like we can respectfully agree to
disagree as to if we are experiencing another "Golden Age" of TV.

Gordon Richmond July 14th 07 06:41 PM

I remember!

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Television worth watching,

[...]

Well, I'm not a big fan of TV in general, or South Park in particular, but I've seen
enough episodes of the show to understand that it relentlessly SATIRIZES political
correctness and wishy-washy Liberalism and immorality.

But I also know that some people just don't "get" satire.

Gordon Richmond

Phil Nelson July 14th 07 09:52 PM

I remember!

It was 9 years ago. That road in Happy Valley is still a pretty rural
island. The residents have been battling developers for at least 30 years.
One of them lives in her grandparents' farmhouse, which is on the national
historic register. Yes, there are big housing tracts a mile uphill, and all
the way from there to Issaquah, but you can still keep livestock, legally
shoot at coyotes in your woods, etc.

Phil

Ron in Radio Heaven July 14th 07 11:06 PM

I remember!

Brian Hill wrote:
I don't think too many things in my life have given me the same feeling of seeing
Neil Armstrong on a old black and white tv put his foot down on the moon

That was one of the best birthday presents I've ever gotten,
July 20 1969 was my 17th birthday.
I had to threaten to quit my summer job at the grocery store
cause the boss wanted me to work that night.
I've got a pretty good collection of Apollo 11 stuff, one of these
days I'm going to take some photos of it and do a web page.

Brian Hill July 14th 07 11:11 PM

I remember!

"Tom Biasi" wrote in message

"Brian Hill" wrote in message