Old September 12th 07, 04:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default Can you identify this radio? - "Unknown Radio.jpg" 336.4 KBytes yEnc

In article S%KFi.3809$ed1.564@trnddc05,
"Phil B" wrote:

We just want to click and view.

That's exactly what I like to do and do it all of the time, yEnc or no.

I understand your sentiments, Phil, and if I couldn't find software to
decode yEnc, I'd be irritated, too. If you look at it from another
point of view, folks who doggedly refuse to accommodate yEnc, which is
fairly common, are making their lives far more difficult that it needs
to be and missing out on content that they might enjoy or benefit from.

If I post I use UUEncode - not a yEnc fanatic or anything. I just
figure - use free and/or easily obtainable software that manages it and
spend life clicking and viewing, not cussing and fussing.

Dave
Old September 12th 07, 07:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

GPS co-ordinates N 45 57.751 W 64 37.497
"Dave Moorman" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"Ken Doyle" wrote:

We don't do yEnc here.

Ken D.

Many, many people do yEnc, Ken. It shouldn't be hard to find software
which decodes it effortlessly. I use MT-Newswatcher on a Macintosh but
could use a number of other newsreaders and decode yEnc with no problem.
Given that there is so much more software available for PCs, there
shouldn't be any difficulty finding a newsreader that will decode it.
Forte Agent probably does.

Dave

I have often wondered why. Why would someone post in yEnc, when only
a small percentage of people can view the image. Why not post in GIF
or in JPG when EVERYONE can view it.

No, I am not interested in reading all the comparisons of the good and evil
of yEnc. I am just a simple person, with simple wants and needs. Not
interested
in looking for software, download it and running it so that I too can view
yEnc.
I neither like it nor do I dislike it. I just don't use it.

I hope that this post will NOT start any flame wars.

Regards
Reed

Old September 12th 07, 07:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Reed Park" wrote in message
I have often wondered why. Why would someone post in yEnc, when only
a small percentage of people can view the image. Why not post in GIF
or in JPG when EVERYONE can view it.

No, I am not interested in reading all the comparisons of the good and
evil
of yEnc. I am just a simple person, with simple wants and needs. Not
interested
in looking for software, download it and running it so that I too can view
yEnc.
I neither like it nor do I dislike it. I just don't use it.

I hope that this post will NOT start any flame wars.

Regards
Reed

Exactly. Windows will view a GIF, JPG, and many other formats.

You would think that someone looking for HELP on an issue would make it the
most easily available possible, fer cryin' out loud. But no, in order to
help the OP, WE should go and find and install something.

Seems strange to me...

Buck

Old September 12th 07, 09:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

In article ,
"Reed Park" wrote:

I have often wondered why. Why would someone post in yEnc, when only
a small percentage of people can view the image. Why not post in GIF
or in JPG when EVERYONE can view it.

No, I am not interested in reading all the comparisons of the good and evil
of yEnc. I am just a simple person, with simple wants and needs. Not
interested
in looking for software, download it and running it so that I too can view
yEnc.
I neither like it nor do I dislike it. I just don't use it.

I hope that this post will NOT start any flame wars.

Let's hope not!

You still get GIFs and JPGs in yEnc. The image compression format (JPG
or GIF) is the same when yEnc is used.

Currently UUEncode is the scheme used to encode and transmit most JPGs
and GIFs over the Internet.

Apparently using yEnc instead of UUEncode results in significantly
smaller files being sent over the Internet. That's all that I know
about it. Smaller files can be a big advantage to people with slower
Internet connections.

I have no idea what percentage of images are sent via yEnc.

Dave
Old September 13th 07, 02:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Dave Moorman" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"Ken Doyle" wrote:

We don't do yEnc here.

Ken D.

Many, many people do yEnc, Ken.

yEnc is extremely rude to use on Usenet, WHAT does it matter that it SHOULD
be easier to decode? WHAT purpose does it have except to show "look at me,
I'm a really savvy techy person who has no Windows computers anywhere in my
life!". Sheesh, it's ruder than HTML. Of course, Ken G. can't understand why
we all just don't post JPG's on rec.antiques.radio+phono.

John H.

Old September 13th 07, 04:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

ian field wrote:
"Sal Brisindi" wrote in message
Folks,
I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my email program and newsgroup reader which
incidentally decoded the yenc photo that was posted here without any
problems.

Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

Regards,
Sal Brisindi

My last experience with Mozilla was not a good one!

It wouldn't accept a whole host of plugins I rely on and when I tried to
uninstall it, it messed up so many settings I had to run system restore to
clean up the mess!

I have Mozilla loaded on 3 of my PC's without any problems, but then I
don't think I loaded any plugins.

Sal
Old September 13th 07, 05:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Ken Doyle" wrote:

We don't do yEnc here.

Ken D.

Many, many people do yEnc, Ken.

yEnc is extremely rude to use on Usenet, WHAT does it matter that it SHOULD
be easier to decode? WHAT purpose does it have except to show "look at me,
I'm a really savvy techy person who has no Windows computers anywhere in my
life!". Sheesh, it's ruder than HTML. Of course, Ken G. can't understand why
we all just don't post JPG's on rec.antiques.radio+phono.

John H.

Well the purpose of yEnc is to have smaller files sent over the
Internet. That saves bandwidth and makes downloads and uploads faster
for those with slower connection speeds. It's not just people
deciding, "I'm going to be rude today and post some JPGs using yEnc."

Dave
Old September 13th 07, 06:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Phil B" wrote:

We just want to click and view.

That's exactly what I like to do and do it all of the time, yEnc or no.

I understand your sentiments, Phil, and if I couldn't find software to
decode yEnc, I'd be irritated, too. If you look at it from another
point of view, folks who doggedly refuse to accommodate yEnc, which is
fairly common, are making their lives far more difficult that it needs
to be and missing out on content that they might enjoy or benefit from.

If I post I use UUEncode - not a yEnc fanatic or anything. I just
figure - use free and/or easily obtainable software that manages it and
spend life clicking and viewing, not cussing and fussing.

Dave

And those who use it might miss out on getting help from the only
person who can help, but don't have the time or inclination to convert
the file so they can see it.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old September 13th 07, 06:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Sal Brisindi wrote:

Ken Doyle wrote:
We don't do yEnc here.

Ken D.

Ken,
Here is a jpg of it.

Sal

[Image]

Thanks, Sal. Whatever it is, it has a bad transformer. Not only
did somone let the smoke out, the whole thing vaporized.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old September 13th 07, 12:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Sorry to be snippety, my apologies. Most people I know post yEnc
deliberately because it's "better".

John H.