Old September 19th 07, 04:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default Can you identify this radio? - "Unknown Radio.jpg" 336.4 KBytesyEnc

Dave Moorman wrote:

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

I loaned the computer with Mandiva to a friend who is very computer
illiterate. he loved it, and got a CDROM with Unbutu Linux and
installed it on one of his older computers, and he likes it. There has
been a fair amount of discussion on: news:rec.crafts.metalworking about
different versions of Linux. Check the Google Groups Archives.

http://www.ubuntu.com/ has the full OS free for download, or you can
have them mail you a free bootable CDROM with it.

If you need any help getting the computer up and running, let me
know.

Thanks, Michael. I'll look into Ubuntu.

Dave

http://distrowatch.com/ubuntu might be helpful.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old September 20th 07, 01:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 00:05:36 -0500, Dave Moorman wrote:

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

I downloaded it months ago, but I'm testing another version of Linux
(Mandiva) right now. I have looked at various versions of Linux for
over 10 years.

I inherited a new computer that my older brother had bought just before
he died, Mike. He had it long enough to install Windows on one
partition and SUSE Linux on the other. I've fired it up a couple of
times but of course have no passwords, so I may have to re-install Linux
to make it usable.

So...I was wondering which version of Linux you liked?

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am currently running Ubuntu on 2 machines and linux mint on a 3rd. Mint
is based upon Ubuntu, but already has most of the multimedia and non open
source codecs and plug-ins already installed. Basically works out of the
box. You should be able to install it on the root partition where Linux is
currently installed. If you don't touch the NTFS partition the
bootloader (grub) will add windows to the list of boot devices and then
you will have a dual boot machine.

Good luck,

Scott.

Old September 20th 07, 04:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Scott. I think it's dual boot now. I've spent very little time
with it - other projects going on - but will get to it. I downloaded
Ubuntu so may try that out but will also give mint a look.

Dave
Old September 28th 07, 03:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:46:19 GMT, , "Bob
Smith" wrote:

I am about to give up identifying this radio. I have had it for several
years and have not ever seen another like it. It has no name or model on it.
The two tags on the rear only list patent numbers. I have looked in Riders 1
thru 14, Sams, and Beitman with no luck. I have also searched Ebay many
times as well as other sites on the net without success. The radio is a
superhet with the following tube line up: 6A7 converter, 6K7 IF amp, 6H6
detector, 6F5 first audio, Two 42's in parallel as audio outputs and 80
rectifier. The closest thing that I found was a sears 7171 in Riders 10-95.
The chassis layout for the 7171 is almost identical but with one less 42 and
a different IF amp. Sears didn't build their own sets and I would almost bet
that whoever built the 7171 also built the radio that I have.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments and info.

The radio positively is a Silver Marshall 500 Tombstone as verified at this link:
http://radioattic.com/item.php?radio=0096005
Old September 30th 07, 08:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

On 27-Sep-2007, "jim menning" wrote:

Can you identify this radio? - "Unknown Radio.jpg" 336.4 KBytes yEnc

The radio positively is a Silver Marshall 500 Tombstone as verified at
this link:
http://radioattic.com/item.php?radio=0096005

Positively incorrect.

Different cabinet, different grille cutout, different knob position,
different dial,
etc.

But it does appear to have the same escutcheon and similar dial.

I agree, Jim, close but no cigar!
The knobs on mine are also different and on mine the left knob
is actually two knobs. The knobs on mine are wooden where the
ones on the Silver Marshall 500 appear to be bakelite or plastic.
but I still appreciate the interest and attempt to help.

--
Bob Smith