Old September 24th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Default Is the code requirement really keeping good people out of ham radio?

wrote:
On 22 Sep 2006 20:46:15 -0700, "
wrote:

Opus- wrote:

If it is eliminated, will that change the "Service"? Maybe.

Probably not.

Heh heh...if the test is eliminated the expressed outrage,
anguish, and horror will be a horrendous wail never to be
silenced until the last code key is pried from cold, dead
fingers! :-)

well I am hopeing some of them will be silenced chlucting at their
hearts when they read the R&O

Careful, Mark, we can't say such things due to "threats" against
the pro-coders. :-) They are muy touchy about threats against
Them.

That sounds fair. In general I've approved what Industry Canada
does on communications regulations...a bit more than what the
FCC does for US civil radio services.

indeed if they had been willing say 10 years ago to go along with what
Canada has now (which was proposed by members of NCI) this would be
over long since

Well, Mark, it is like this: Some of those who have the cool
HOBBY of amateur radio think they are "servicemen" in the
"service of their country" for having that hobby. We can't say
nasty to them because that is not "nice." They rank
themselves as equivalent to soldiers, sailors, and airmen.

They want the ILLUSION that they are doing great and
meritorious SERVICE. Especially the morseketeers. That is
important to them. The illusion, that is. Screw the reality
part of it, that doesn't apply to them (they think).

Never mind that US amateur radio licensee numbers are holding
static with a slight downturn over the past three years. Oldsters
are signing off permanently and newcomers are going in through
the no-code-test Technician class. Most of the latter are STAYING
no-code. [General Of The Amateurs Miccolis says otherwise but
then he loves cooking the stats to suit his own taste]

As time goes on with the code test gone, the amateur bands
WILL change. But, it will be slow since humans are living longer
now. Human attrition will, nonetheless, happen. Oldsters don't
want to think about that but it is inevitable to all of us. The
oldsters want to preserve the illusion that they are still "young,"
believing in the old, antiquated ways they were impressed with.
Why some even believe they are a "service to the country" by
having that hobby.

There's no argument with those ancient morseketeers, certainly
no "discussion." To them, all must be preserved. [read
mummified] Ptui.

Old September 26th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Opus- wrote in
:

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:19:27 -0400, jawod spake
thusly:

Who the **** are YOU to make such a statement? You snot nosed,
arrogant PRICK! You do NOT know the kind of person that I am!! Wake up
and smell the cappuccino! Code is obsolete! Knowing code does NOTHING
to make somebody an "asset to the service". And, could you explain
what makes a person an "asset to the service"?

Jeez,
Chill out, eh?

Sorry, but I get upset with people who make statements that are easily
taken as personal insults.

SNIP

It's hilarious watching how violent CB'er hams get. ROFL.

How's your Code practice coming along?

SC
Old September 26th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:59:03 GMT, Slow Code spake
thusly:

Opus- wrote in
:

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:19:27 -0400, jawod spake
thusly:

Who the **** are YOU to make such a statement? You snot nosed,
arrogant PRICK! You do NOT know the kind of person that I am!! Wake up
and smell the cappuccino! Code is obsolete! Knowing code does NOTHING
to make somebody an "asset to the service". And, could you explain
what makes a person an "asset to the service"?

Jeez,
Chill out, eh?

Sorry, but I get upset with people who make statements that are easily
taken as personal insults.

SNIP

It's hilarious watching how violent CB'er hams get. ROFL.

****, but you're stupid. Where is the violence? But that is typical of
bigots. Always deflecting, never answering..usually because they lack
the ability.

How's your Code practice coming along?

I'm not, nor will I ever. If code means associating with bigots like
you, then I want no part of it. Much rather talk to civilized people.
Old September 26th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Opus- wrote:

SNIPPED

I'm not, nor will I ever. If code means associating with bigots like
you, then I want no part of it. Much rather talk to civilized people.

Then we will gladly acknowledge that you desire to leave this NG.

We don't need the profanity, the attitude and the whimpering.

All in favor, say AYE! ...

Old September 27th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:43:52 -0400, Dave spake
thusly:

Opus- wrote:

SNIPPED

I'm not, nor will I ever. If code means associating with bigots like
you, then I want no part of it. Much rather talk to civilized people.

Then we will gladly acknowledge that you desire to leave this NG.

Are you saying that there are no civilized people in this newsgroup?
Talk about attitude.

We don't need the profanity, the attitude and the whimpering.

Then tell the pro-coders to quit insulting and labeling people.

All in favor, say AYE! ...

Nay.
Old September 27th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 23:15:45 GMT, Slow Code spake
thusly:

Dave wrote in
:

Opus- wrote:

SNIPPED

I'm not, nor will I ever. If code means associating with bigots like
you, then I want no part of it. Much rather talk to civilized people.

Then we will gladly acknowledge that you desire to leave this NG.

We don't need the profanity, the attitude and the whimpering.

All in favor, say AYE! ...

Aye.

What are YOU saying "aye" for? YOU'RE the bigot.
Old September 29th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Made Extra in 1995 and had to do 20wpm. I did it and have NEVER used CW
since and have no intention to ever do so..even if "someone is dying!"
IMHO it is an outdated requirement and will/should be dropped altogether
very very soon....

"Nada Tapu" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 23:23:03 GMT, Slow Code wrote:

Or just lazy people out?

Sc

It certainly didn't keep me out, and I wasn't all that crazy about
learning it, either.

NT

Old September 30th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Barry OGrady wrote in
:

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:54:46 -0500, Nada Tapu wrote:

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 23:23:03 GMT, Slow Code wrote:

Or just lazy people out?

Sc

It certainly didn't keep me out, and I wasn't all that crazy about
learning it, either.

More to the point, are there more licensed amateurs since the code
requirement was removed years ago?

No, numbers are decreasing because ham radio has been dumbed down so
having a ham license isn't worth anything anymore and people are leaving.

SC

shortwv John Lauritsen Shortwave 0 November 28th 04 07:19 PM
178 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 1 November 22nd 04 03:49 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1402 ­ June 25, 2004 Radionews Shortwave 0 June 25th 04 07:32 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1402 ­ June 25, 2004 Radionews General 0 June 25th 04 07:29 PM
214 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (09-APR-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 1 April 10th 04 06:59 PM