Old March 5th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default "F" Connectors ?

Hello,

Would appreciate your opinions on the use of "F" connectors on coax between
areceiving antenna and scanna.
e.g., "F" O.K., or stick to BNC's ?

The Daiwa coax switch box has in their specs usable to only 600 MHZ
Anyone using for the 800 MHZ range, or beyond ?

Thanks,
B.
Old March 5th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"Robert11" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..
Would appreciate your opinions on the use of "F" connectors on coax
between areceiving antenna and scanna.
e.g., "F" O.K., or stick to BNC's ?

They very basic I would let them as they are on each connector.

The Daiwa coax switch box has in their specs usable to only 600 MHZ
Anyone using for the 800 MHZ range, or beyond ?

In use of receiving only loss should be humble.

73 Ralf, DL2MRB

Old March 6th 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

Would appreciate your opinions on the use of "F" connectors on coax
between areceiving antenna and scanna.
e.g., "F" O.K., or stick to BNC's ?

The Daiwa coax switch box has in their specs usable to only 600 MHZ
Anyone using for the 800 MHZ range, or beyond ?

Thanks,
B.

I use RG-6 from 500khz all the way up to 1.2ghz and most of the time I'm
transmitting. Works awsome for scanners
and great for transceivers.

I know you're saying that radio coax is 50 ohm and RG6 is 75 ohm but, I read
an article, and I wish I could remember
where it is, the guy that wrote the article said that if don't try to load a
long wire with it, it works great. You have to
use it for the exact frequency you plan to talk on.

Now with the dualband antenna I'm using it for, and since I'm only
transmitting on one freq at a time, it works just fine.
I checked the VSWR on all my transmitting antennas and it's between 1.0 -
1.5

I love using this cable because it's smaller, you can put more of them thru
the same hole that you can only put one piece
of the other stuff and it's cheaper. I either put "F" connectors on the
ends and then use adapters to go from "F" to whatever
connector that is on the back of the unit I'm using or, I put on a PL259 and
then use an adapter. Either way, it works
just fine.

If you're going to use a PL259 you need to be careful because the 259 whole
alone is bigger then the RG6 so you have to
get a reducer that goes over the RG6 so it fits snug. Also, I found out by
accident that there are two different sized reducers and many
sizes of RG6. I just happen to have 3 differenct sizes of outside jacketed
cable so I had to take a piece with me to the local
radio shack and buy the correct reducers (very expensive here) for the cable
I had the most of. Then I went on ebay and bought
10 at a time for almost the price I paid for two at rat shack.

I hope this gives you an idea of using RG6 for almost any type of
communications application.

Sorry for being long winded.

Old March 7th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default To John From OP: "F" Connectors ?

Hi John,

Thanks for suggestions and help.
Appreciate it.

Was a bit leary re usage of the "F" connectors for receiving up to 1 GHz on
my new scanner, but feel a lot more confident
about using them now.

Bob (Mass.)

-----------------------
"John" wrote in message
.. .
. ..

Old March 7th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Robert11 wrote:
Hi John,

Thanks for suggestions and help.
Appreciate it.

Was a bit leary re usage of the "F" connectors for receiving up to 1 GHz on
my new scanner, but feel a lot more confident
about using them now.

Bob (Mass.)

-----------------------
"John" wrote in message
.. .
"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Hell,they use them on Dish/DirectTV,etc. What are those,like 5.8+Ghz
systems?
I don't see why they wouldn't work at 1Ghz.

Old March 7th 08, 07:56 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"PhattyMo" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Hell,they use them on Dish/DirectTV,etc. What are those,like 5.8+Ghz
systems?
I don't see why they wouldn't work at 1Ghz.

A LNB (Low Noise Block Converter) provides only an IF around 1 GHz.

Regards,

Ralf

Old March 7th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
You You is offline

In article ,
PhattyMo wrote:

Hell,they use them on Dish/DirectTV,etc. What are those,like 5.8+Ghz
systems?
I don't see why they wouldn't work at 1Ghz.

Bzzzzt, Wrong, DBS uses a Block DownConverter LNB out on the Feedhorn,
and the coax running into the receiver is 900 - 1450 Mhz. Thanks
for playing.......
Old March 8th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

You wrote:
In article ,
PhattyMo wrote:

Hell,they use them on Dish/DirectTV,etc. What are those,like 5.8+Ghz
systems?
I don't see why they wouldn't work at 1Ghz.

Bzzzzt, Wrong, DBS uses a Block DownConverter LNB out on the Feedhorn,
and the coax running into the receiver is 900 - 1450 Mhz. Thanks
for playing.......

Well,okay then,so it's just the *1.45 Ghz* IF frequency..
So it's good to *atleast* 1.45Ghz.
I'm no math whiz,but 1.45 is bigger than 1.
Old March 8th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
You You is offline

In article ,
PhattyMo wrote:

You wrote:
In article ,
PhattyMo wrote:

Hell,they use them on Dish/DirectTV,etc. What are those,like 5.8+Ghz
systems?
I don't see why they wouldn't work at 1Ghz.

Bzzzzt, Wrong, DBS uses a Block DownConverter LNB out on the Feedhorn,
and the coax running into the receiver is 900 - 1450 Mhz. Thanks
for playing.......

Well,okay then,so it's just the *1.45 Ghz* IF frequency..
So it's good to *atleast* 1.45Ghz.
I'm no math whiz,but 1.45 is bigger than 1.

"Good" is relative......Twisting wires together is "Good" in some
cases, but hardly relevant.... F Type Connectors were designed as
a cheap Consumer Connector for the Cable Industry and for frequencies
below 500 Mhz. Some Folks have used them at higher frequencies, but
they SUCK, when compared to the more expensive "Real World" connectors
like SMA's, MCX, etc. On the DBS Systems, the SNR of the system is
large enough that connector losses, really are insignificant, for the
most part. An RCA Phono Connecter would work just as well, or just as
poorly. Depends on if YOUR Cup is Half Empty, or Half Full.......