Old April 19th 09, 06:23 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,alt.radio.family

Default cb radio in Canada

On Apr 19, 12:15*am, wrote:
In rec.radio.amateur.policy radioguy wrote:

Oregon, Alaska, North Carolina, Texas, Virginia, and Missouri all by
law, REQUIRE hams to have a ham radio installed in their vehicle if
they have ham platetes

Got a reference to the relevant statutes?

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...al/plates.html

snip babble

Are you drunk, on drugs, insane, or just blazingly stupid?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Old April 19th 09, 06:33 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,misc.legal,alt.politics

radioguy wrote in
:

On Apr 18, 11:07*am, Martin Martino
wrote:
radioguy wrote in
:

Also under law you are REQUIRED to have a working mobile ham radio
in your car if you have ham plates
And if you do, FEDERAL LAW REQUIRES hams to use it while driving,
in certain situations.

Besides, if you have ham plates, then under law, you are NOT
allowed to uninstall the ham radio from your car.

There is NO law in New York State (or any other state that I am aware
of)

,
which requires one to have a "working mobile ham radio" in a vehicle
whic

has ham radio plates.

Oregon, Alaska, North Carolina, Texas, Virginia, and Missouri all by
law, REQUIRE hams to have a ham radio installed in their vehicle if
they have ham platetes

..

Oregon only requires ham radio applicants show proof of eligibility for ham
radio plates by submitting a copy of their license when they apply for the
plates.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehic...ular.shtml#ham

Alaska only requires ham radio applicants show proof of eligibility for ham
radio plates by submitting a copy of their license when they apply for the
plates.

http://www.state.ak.us/dmv/plates/amradio.htm

Missouri only requires ham radio applicants show proof of eligibility for
ham radio plates by submitting a copy of their license when they apply for
the plates.

http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/forms/838.pdf

I can't access the North Caroline DMV at the moment.

I'll give you that Texas and Virginia do indeed indicate (on their ham
license plate applications) that the applicant must show proof of a valid
amateur radio license, AND intends to operate 2-way radio equipment in the
vehicle to which the plates will be attached.

And under FEDERAL LAW must answer even if they're driving if they hear
someone call an emergency on one of the ham channels they know they
can help by answering if no one else answers.

Not ddoing so goes against the first purpose of the amateur radio
service as listed in part 97 of FEDERAL communications commission
rules.
and can result in them getting fined.

It turns out that is exactly WHY Texas (in particular) does require holders
of ham radio vanity plates to carry radio equipment... In the state's view,
If a ham puts his call sign on his vehicle's license plates, he is
essentially "advertising" his ability (and willingness) to provide
emergency communications services.

So in Texas, (at least), far from being harrassed by law enforcement for
having radio gear in his vehicle, a ham is more likely to be called upon to
ASSIST law enforcement (or other emergency services) if regular
communications channels are unuseable for whatever reason. Don't want to
help out? Don't apply for ham plates.

And FEDERAL law overrules all state law despite you saying New York
state law overrules all FEDERAL law.

You're putting words in my mouth, or responding to someone else. I never
said a single thing about state vs. federal law. I just pointed out that in
New York State - specifically - there is no requirement to have operational
mobile radio equipment in a vehicle as a precondition for having STATE
ISSUED ham radio license plates.

I admit that there are some states which do appear to have such a
requirement, but New York is not one of them.

But, since we're on the subject, it is absolutely incorrect to make the
blanket statement that "federal law overrules all state law." That is most
assuredly not the case. Read the 10th amendment to the Constitution.

Old April 19th 09, 07:00 AM posted to alt.radio.family,rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,misc.legal,alt.politics

call someone else on the telephone the same as a cell phone.

There are NO inputs on a CB radio like you think there is.

so no one using a cb radio has to make any inputs to it in any way
shape or form.

and many other misconceptions you have about it and them.

Of course, next you'll probably say to use vox on CB and ham radio.

that is also AGAINST FEDERAL LAW.

And both CBers and hams can be fined by the federal government for
using vox since unlike with a cell phone that you think is the exact
same thing as a cb and ham radio, using vox keeps the cb and ham
transmitters constantly transmitting from hearing all the sounds
around them, which is a BIG NO-NO UNDER FEDERAL LAW

Of course you dismiss that since you say new york state overrules
federal law.

that STILL doesn't stop the federal government from fining hams for
obeying your new york state law a bunch of money they can't afford.

Totally frickin wrong on all accounts.

Federal law supercedes any like state law.
If a federal law says it is legal, no state may make it illegal.
And vice versa.

Ham radio license plates are issued by many states as vanity plates.
Anyone can drive these vehicles without the requirement of having a
ham radio in the vehicle.

IIRC the NY law says, "NO hand held devices". As most CB's are dash
mounted, they would not meet the law. VOX stands for voice operated,
which means in most cases, a driver would be wearing a headset and
thus not have anything in his hands. VOX is perfectly legal under
federal law.

Cell phones are full duplex. Hsm radios and CBs are simplex. Only one
side of a conversation can be transmitted at the same time.

Vox would keep a ham radio and CB constantly transmitting even when no
one is talking since it would hear external sounds like outside music,
or just street noise, or the car's heater or air conditioner,

that is against federal law. And both cbers and hams can be fined for
it.

Since it's allowed on cell phones and cell phones are full duplex, it
doesn't matter since both sides csn transmit at the same time.

So a CB, ham radio, and cell phone are NOT all the exact same thing
like some of the people and cops think.

Most modern portable ham radios also have external mikes, much like
police units do.

That is true,

So I do not believe one would be cited under the NY
law.

That's what I thought. They keep telling me it's illegal to drive and
talk with a microphone because "a CB radio and ham radio are boththe
exact same thing as a cell phone"

and that "it's illegal because reaching for and dialing the phone
number inputs on your cb radio and ham radio to make your phone calls
causes accidents which is why new york state outlawed using them while
driving."

I'd be laughing except I know there are many cops who do think that
way. And don't know the difference between a CB radio, ham radio, and
a cell phone.

Or the laws regarding them.

At least the cops in my area are good, and I think probably
knowledgable.

Although I can't say the same for the idiots in the next county.

Who thought my cb radio was a ham radio and asked me if I had a
license for it. Then after I told him it's a CB, not a ham radio, e
said that by law, I still need a ham radio license to legally operate
a CB radio.

which ham radio license must show that I am legally allowed to use
those particular CB frequencies.

And that's not the only time I had a radio problem with the idiot law
enforcement officers in the next county over.

They even thought a radio/TV recieve only unit was a two way radio and
told me I wasn't allowed to have it because it's against the law for
the public to have two-way radios to talk on.

I'd like to see them call their backup on the am/fm broadcast radio/
vhf/uhf tv reciever, and then wonder where the backup they requested
is.

And that was when I was outdoor on foot. Just watching and listening
to it.

Old April 19th 09, 08:21 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,misc.legal,alt.politics

radioguy wrote in news:be557016-bf66-4c4f-b10b-
:

What happened to the FEDERAL law that states states must recognize
other state's laws and vehicle equipment installations as legal?

I don't know where you got this notion from, but there is NO SUCH FEDERAL
LAW. Not when it comes to "vehicle equipment installations" - and this
covers many, many areas besides ham radio.

Some examples:

In some states it is legal to have dark tint on a car's side and rear
windows. In other states it is NOT legal, and an out-of-state car CAN be
ticketed for such, even though the windows might be perfectly legal in the
car's "home" state.

Likewise, rules relating to minimum or maximum ground clearance under a
vehicle. What might be allowed in one state, could well get you a ticket in
a neighboring state.

Likewise, rule regulating exhaust systems and the amount of noise emitted
by same.

But, in other areas, states have NO authority over what other states do...

If you have ham plates, then Alaska, Oregon, North Carolina, Texas,
Virginia, and Missouri ALL REQUIRE that you MUST have ham radio
equipment INSTALLED in the vehicle.

First of all, of the states you listed, only Texas and Virginia have such a
requirement - the others do not - and the requirement only holds true for
vehicles REGISTERED IN THAT STATE. A Texas vehicle with ham plates might
need to have radio equipment installed IN TEXAS, but a vehicle from
California (with California ham plates) does not have to meet the
requirement, just because it might be travelling through Texas.

And most cities, countis, and police departments in other states do
not issue any such documents as you say New York requires.

It's not a case of "you say" - the other poster pasted a direct quote from
Section 397 of New York's Vehicle and Traffic Law. But you didn't read it
very closely, because the locally-issued "documents" it refers to are to
authorize persons OTHER THAN HAMS to have mobile radio equipment. A
licensed amateur does not require a "local permit" - his license alone is
all the authorization he needs.

Now, if the licensed ham is not present in the vehicle, then yes, there
might be a problem.

And I've seen posts saying that's illegal in New York to have a design
in the middle of your ha call letters on your ham plates, and if you
drive through there like that, you will get arrested eveen more.

So that is saying that sdome hams are NOT allowed to drive their
perfectly legal cars with theirperfectly legal ham call plates through
New York state because some states require a design like a lightning
bolt on the ham plates in the middle of the call letters.

That prohibition might hold true for a New York-issued plate, but NYS has
no control (or interest) in the particular color or design of other
states' license plates, as long as the plate and registration is valid and
current in the vehicle's home state.

The FEDERAL law about states must recognize other state's laws about
license plates, stickers, sticker placement, and equipment
installation in vehicles as legal if it's legal in the state the car
and driver are registered in is still in effect and valid.

You're mixing apples and oranges here. A valid vehicle registration in one
state, must be recognized as valid in ALL states - likewise a valid
driver's license. Such recognition is based on the "full faith and credit"
clause of Article IV, Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution.

But, when you get into "sticker placement" and "equipment installation",
again I tell you there is not, and never has been, ANY "federal law"
mandating such. I gave a few examples above - there are hundreds more.

And what about a large family of hams who the whole family has gotten
ham liscenses and has all their vehicles registered with the exact
same ham call plate, perfctly legal in their home state who then must
tak and drive two or all three of their cars on vacation through New
York state in order to legally fit them in the cars.

In Texas, you can have the exactly the same ham plate on multiple vehicles
because the plate itself IS NOT THE VEHICLE LICENSE. The actual license is
on a window sticker - and that sticker number is unique for each vehicle.
As long as the stickers on all vehicles are curent and valid in Texas, you
can drive them legally in any state.

Old April 19th 09, 01:51 PM posted to alt.radio.family,rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,misc.legal,alt.politics

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 23:00:14 -0700 (PDT), radioguy
wrote:

[...]

wrong!
Vox mikes are designed NOT to pick up and operate with any noise other
than the operator's voice.

that is against federal law. And both cbers and hams can be fined for
it.

Show me. Please post a link to the precise law you speak of.

Since it's allowed on cell phones and cell phones are full duplex, it
doesn't matter since both sides csn transmit at the same time.

So a CB, ham radio, and cell phone are NOT all the exact same thing
like some of the people and cops think.

Most modern portable ham radios also have external mikes, much like
police units do.

That is true,

So I do not believe one would be cited under the NY
law.

That's what I thought. They keep telling me it's illegal to drive and
talk with a microphone because "a CB radio and ham radio are boththe
exact same thing as a cell phone"

Wrong explanation. The law says, "handheld devices". So technically,
having a mike in your hand is illegal.

and that "it's illegal because reaching for and dialing the phone
number inputs on your cb radio and ham radio to make your phone calls
causes accidents which is why new york state outlawed using them while
driving."

I'd be laughing except I know there are many cops who do think that
way. And don't know the difference between a CB radio, ham radio, and
a cell phone.

Or the laws regarding them.

At least the cops in my area are good, and I think probably
knowledgable.

Although I can't say the same for the idiots in the next county.

Who thought my cb radio was a ham radio and asked me if I had a
license for it. Then after I told him it's a CB, not a ham radio, e
said that by law, I still need a ham radio license to legally operate
a CB radio.

If cited for that reason, the case can be dismissed because no license
is required for CB.
That myth was started because various states have laws against use of
scanning radios in the vehicle. That is, a ham license makes
everything legal. Sorry, no it does not.

which ham radio license must show that I am legally allowed to use
those particular CB frequencies.

None. Amateur radio frequencies are not inclusive of the CB
frequencies.

And that's not the only time I had a radio problem with the idiot law
enforcement officers in the next county over.

They even thought a radio/TV recieve only unit was a two way radio and
told me I wasn't allowed to have it because it's against the law for
the public to have two-way radios to talk on.

Ask those officers which walmart they their got badge from.

I'd like to see them call their backup on the am/fm broadcast radio/
vhf/uhf tv reciever, and then wonder where the backup they requested
is.

And that was when I was outdoor on foot. Just watching and listening
to it.

Officer? With all due respect, are you really this ****ing stupid or
did that badge make you that way?

Old April 19th 09, 02:12 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,misc.legal,alt.politics

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 21:15:38 -0700 (PDT), radioguy
wrote:

On Apr 18, 5:37*pm, Steve Stone wrote:
* New York State
* Department of Motor Vehicles
* Custom Plate Gallery - Emergency Services

Ham Radio Operator

Requirements: copy of license issued by FCC. * *$23/$5

-----

§ 397
§ 397. Equipping motor vehicles with radio receiving sets capable of
receiving signals on the frequencies allocated for police use. A person,
not a police officer or peace officer, acting pursuant to his special
duties, who equips a motor vehicle with a radio receiving set capable of
receiving signals on the frequencies allocated for police use or
knowingly uses a motor vehicle so equipped or who in any way knowingly
interferes with the transmission of radio messages by the police without
having first secured a permit so to do from the person authorized to
issue such a permit by the local governing body _ or board of the city.
town or village in which such person resides, or where such person
resides outside of a city or village in a county having a county police
department by the board of supervisors of such county, is guilty of a
misdemeanor, punishable by a tine not exceeding one thousand dollars, or
imprisonment not exceeding six months, or both. Nothing in this section
contained shall be construed to apply to any person who holds a valid
amateur radio operators license issued by the federal communications
commission and who operates a duly licensed portable mobile transmitter
and in connection therewith a receiver or receiving set on frequencies
exclusively allocated by the federal communications commission to duly
licensed radio amateurs.

This law deals with the installation of ANY radio RECEIVER that can
monitor police frequencies. The wording DOES NOT suggest that a ham
MUST have a unit in the plated vehicle. The law only says that the
owner of said plates must be licensed to do so.

§ 397-a. Radar detectors prohibited. 1. No radar detector shall be used
in any motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than
eighteen thousand pounds. The presence in such vehicle of a radar
detector connected to a power source and in an operable condition is
presumptive evidence of its use by any person operating such vehicle.
Such presumption shall be rebutted by any credible and reliable evidence
which tends to show that such radar detector was not in use.

What happened to the FEDERAL law that states states must recognize
other state's laws and vehicle equipment installations as legal?

That's known as the "International Reciprocity Pact". It is not
necessarily a federal law. Which is also damned difficult to find on
the search engines.

If you live in NY, anything that NY law says is legal on your
vehicle, must also be accepted as legal anywhere else in the country
as well as Mexico and Canada.

Yours contradicts both the other states and FEDERAL law.

If you have ham plates, then Alaska, Oregon, North Carolina, Texas,
Virginia, and Missouri ALL REQUIRE that you MUST have ham radio
equipment INSTALLED in the vehicle.

No. Those states can only accept the plate. Their laws are for the
residents of their states for the issuance of such plates.

And most cities, countis, and police departments in other states do
not issue any such documents as you say New York requires.

People do go on vacation to other states.

And since many people can only afford one car,

what if it's the ham's wife driving the car thrugh New York without
him.

All that is necessary is that the owner of the said vehicle and plates
has met the state's requirement's for those plates. Stopping an out of
state vehicle simply because the officer did not see the registered
owner driving the vehicle is not probable cause and would not hold up
in court.

Of course, she isnt going to have any such document as you say New
York requires even if his locality did issue such a document to him.
Which most don't because the plates are proof enough.

And of course, she wouldn't have a radio liscense like he does.

Plus SOME states by law put a design in the middle of the ham plate
letters.

And I've seen posts saying that's illegal in New York to have a design
in the middle of your ha call letters on your ham plates, and if you
drive through there like that, you will get arrested eveen more.

If your plates are from NY.

So that is saying that sdome hams are NOT allowed to drive their
perfectly legal cars with theirperfectly legal ham call plates through
New York state because some states require a design like a lightning
bolt on the ham plates in the middle of the call letters.

And you all probably don't even know how to run ham plates.

SOME states allow the exact same call plates on multiple vehicles.
That is, no -1, -2, -3 like New York requires.

Really? Got a case cite for this?

I saw posts saying that is illegal in New York to have any vehicle
with ham plates like that
registered to multiple vehicles even if you're from out of state.

Since when does New York state law OVERRULE Federal law?

Because they say it does.

The FEDERAL law about states must recognize other state's laws about
license plates, stickers, sticker placement, and equipment
installation in vehicles as legal if it's legal in the state the car
and driver are registered in is still in effect and valid.

And what about a large family of hams who the whole family has gotten
ham liscenses and has all their vehicles registered with the exact
same ham call plate, perfctly legal in their home state who then must
tak and drive two or all three of their cars on vacation through New
York state in order to legally fit them in the cars.

wrong.

It's illegal in my state to have a car overcrowded with too many
people. Four or six is the limit depending on how many seatbelts there
are and the size of the vehicle, 2 door or 3 door.

And some vehicles only seat two people, like some pickup trucks or
some small cars.

Old April 19th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner,alt.radio.family

On Apr 19, 12:15Â*am, wrote:
In rec.radio.amateur.policy radioguy wrote:

Oregon, Alaska, North Carolina, Texas, Virginia, and Missouri all by
law, REQUIRE hams to have a ham radio installed in their vehicle if
they have ham platetes

Got a reference to the relevant statutes?

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...al/plates.html

Following the links to the relevant state laws, one finds 2 of those
states have no radio requirement, and none of the others have any
installed radio requirement.

Of those with a radio requirement, occasional use of a HT qualifies,
except Virginia where you would have to keep a HT in the vehicle to
meet the letter of the law.

So there is no state that "REQUIRE hams to have a ham radio installed
in their vehicle" from your own link.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 19th 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner

On Apr 19, 12:15 am, wrote:

In rec.radio.amateur.policy radioguy wrote:

Oregon, Alaska, North Carolina, Texas, Virginia, and Missouri all by
law, REQUIRE hams to have a ham radio installed in their vehicle if
they have ham platetes

Got a reference to the relevant statutes?

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...al/plates.html

Following the links to the relevant state laws, one finds 2 of those
states have no radio requirement, and none of the others have any
installed radio requirement.

Of those with a radio requirement, occasional use of a HT qualifies,
except Virginia where you would have to keep a HT in the vehicle to
meet the letter of the law.

So there is no state that "REQUIRE hams to have a ham radio installed
in their vehicle" from your own link.

I don't know about other states but here is the code section from
Virginia word for word--

§ 46.2-738. Special license plates for amateur radio operators.

The Commissioner, on request, may supply any amateur radio operator
licensed by the federal government or an agency thereof, and having
radio transmitting and receiving equipment permanently installed in his
motor vehicle, license plates bearing his official call letters.

If more than one request is made for use, as provided in this section,
of license plates having the same alpha-numeric, the Department shall
accept the first such application. Persons receiving amateur radio
operator special license plates shall affix such plates only to vehicles
to which they are the titled owner.

The Commissioner shall charge a fee of one dollar in addition to the
prescribed cost of state license plates, for each set of license plates
issued under the provisions of this section.

"PERMANANTLY INSTALLED" is a bit more than just an HT sitting on the
seat all the time.

To my knowledge, I have never heard of anyone being cited for this.
Old April 19th 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,alt.radio.scanner

On Apr 19, 12:15 am, wrote:

[...]

That's what I get for taking the ARRL at face value; Virginia seems
to be the only one with the "permanent" language.

So for the six states mentioned, there is one that requires installation.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 21st 09, 10:26 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,misc.legal,alt.politics

On Apr 19, 12:15*am, wrote:
In rec.radio.amateur.policy radioguy wrote:

Oregon, Alaska, North Carolina, Texas, Virginia, and Missouri all by
law, REQUIRE hams to have a ham radio installed in their vehicle if
they have ham platetes

Got a reference to the relevant statutes?

There's this marvelus invention called Google. Learn all about it.

OREGON: Does not appear that Oregon requires equipment to be
installed in the vehicle.
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehic...eregular.shtml

ALASKA: DOES require equipment in the vehicle. Check the application
he
http://www.state.ak.us/dmv/forms/pdfs/830.pdf

NORTH CAROLINA: Requires that the person requesting a call letter
plate purchase a radio that can be used in emergencies.
http://www.state.ak.us/dmv/forms/pdfs/830.pdf

MISSOURI: Does not appear that MO requires equipment.
http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/forms/1716.pdf

TEXAS: DOES require equipment in the vehicle:
"You may apply for Radio Operator specialty plates if you hold an
amateur radio station license issued by the Federal Communications
Commission and operate receiving and transmitting mobile amateur radio
equipment in a passenger car or truck."
http://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/N...d=80&pltid=132

VIRGINIA: DOES require that the vehicle have equipment permanently
installed.

-- quote
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehi...o.asp?idnm=HAM

Personalization available Yes
Number of characters combinations available on plate 6
Plate Fee (in addition to plate fee) $1.00 Annually
Personalized plate fee (in addition to registration fee)
Disabled symbol available Yes

Requirements: MUST PROVIDE WRITTEN STATEMENT FROM FCC LICENSED AS HAM
RADIO OPERATOR. VEHICLE MUST HAVE OPERATIONAL RADIO EQ. PERMNT
INSTALLED

-- end quote

And there's a summary of state requirements on the ARRL website. You
are welcome to find that yourself.

snip babble

Are you drunk, on drugs, insane, or just blazingly stupid?

Perhaps we could ask the same of you.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.