Old July 23rd 05, 11:59 PM
Max Power

Default I am baffled as to why anyone from Canada should care about the London bombings: UK's cultural broadcasting to Canada

I am baffled as to why anyone from Canada should care about the London
bombings: UK's cultural broadcasting to Canada.

1. BBC World Service has totally abandoned transmissions to Canada, calling
into question the nature and structure of the existing "Commonwealth"
relationship with the UK.

2. There has been no UK encouragement for Canada to increase its
international broadcasting budget (via RCI), so as to allow RCI to
effectively become a 2nd "World Service" as it was during the 1950s and
1960s.

3. The UK has failed to persuade US TV broadcasting entities to abandon or
change the way they broadcast to Canada

[US News and Information broadcasters that should "localise" to Canada]
-- CNN
-- MSNBC
-- Fox News (replaced with Sky News, Sky Fox Canada?)
etc ...

4. The UK has failed to encourage Australia & NZ to increase their (TV & SW)
transmissions to Canada, a vital part of the "Commonwealth" glue.

5. Nor has the UK encouraged Australia (specifically) to increase its
external broadcaster Radio Australia into a "3rd" regional axis (*) of
commonwealth broadcasting.

(*) It is important for Commonwealth as a whole to have a somewhat unified
multilateral cultural broadcasting effort -- not only for the security of
the individual members, but for the security of the Commonwealth as a whole.

-=-=-=-=-=-
A class action lawsuit is 45 years overdue
-=-=-=-=-=-
The BBC World Service has never broadcast in Welsh to the Americas, save
Patagonia (1946) -- in spite of the US & Canada having the most speakers of
Welsh outside the UK. The change in broadcasting costs would be about nil.

Old July 24th 05, 07:58 AM
Pemo

"Max Power" wrote:

I am baffled as to why anyone from Canada should care about the London
bombings: UK's cultural broadcasting to Canada.

I'm afraid your leap of logic left me shaking head in wonderment.

1. BBC World Service has totally abandoned transmissions to Canada,
calling into question the nature and structure of the existing
"Commonwealth" relationship with the UK.

Ummmmm ..... we watch BBC on Foxtel (on those rare occasions when we need
to). I'd not expect BBC to broadcast to Oz. We've moved on from the days
when the the Empire Builders needed to get the news complete with Big Ben.

2. There has been no UK encouragement for Canada to increase its
international broadcasting budget (via RCI), so as to allow RCI to
effectively become a 2nd "World Service" as it was during the 1950s and
1960s.

Can't comment. No idea what RCI is/was.

3. The UK has failed to persuade US TV broadcasting entities to abandon or
change the way they broadcast to Canada

Ummmmm ..... why would/should they? The Yanks probably don't know that
Canada exists.

[US News and Information broadcasters that should "localise" to Canada]
-- CNN
-- MSNBC
-- Fox News (replaced with Sky News, Sky Fox Canada?)

4. The UK has failed to encourage Australia & NZ to increase their (TV &
SW) transmissions to Canada, a vital part of the "Commonwealth" glue.

Ummmmm ..... why would/should they? And if they tried, the Australian
Broadcasting Authority would probably suggest that they go plait their poop.

5. Nor has the UK encouraged Australia (specifically) to increase its
external broadcaster Radio Australia into a "3rd" regional axis (*) of
commonwealth broadcasting.

Ummmmm ..... why would/should they? Don't think the
Indonesians/Malaysians/Singaporeans/Japanese/Filipinos would be much
interested.

(*) It is important for Commonwealth as a whole to have a somewhat unified
multilateral cultural broadcasting effort -- not only for the security of
the individual members, but for the security of the Commonwealth as a
whole.

I suppose we don't share your enthusiasm for the Commonwealth. Useful for a
tween-Lympics C'wealth Games (here in Melbourne 2006), but little else.

I recall the feeling of betrayal when I - Welsh-born and of Welsh parentage
but with an Oz passport was directed to the "Alien" THEM desk at customs,
while the Krauts, Frogs and other foreigners were waved through the "UK/EU"
US desk. So much for the Commonwealth.

Pemo

--
,-._|\
/ Oz \ Melbourne

Old July 24th 05, 08:33 AM

I haven't checked it out in a while,but I could (might still can too)
listen to Cymru'r Byd (what does Cymru'R Byd mean in the English
language?) radio music station in Wales with my webtv.I like to hear
those Welsh folks over there talking and singing.I think the station is
off the air from midnight to about 5:00 AM or 6:00 AM in their time zone
which is six hours ahead of my time zone,Central Standard Time.You
probally can find the station at www.radio-locator.com or a similar
website.Past my bed time now,I am going to see if I can tune in to that
radio station in Wales later on.I get BBC America on my DirecTV
service.Maybe I can pick up BBC with my webtv (hey,that rhymes) too.
cuhulin

Old July 24th 05, 02:16 PM

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:59:16 -0700, "Max Power"
wrote:

I am baffled as to why anyone from Canada should care about the London
bombings: UK's cultural broadcasting to Canada.

You fail to understand that Canada (and Australia, New Zealand, India
etc.) are totally independant of the UK and have been for many
decades.

It is not for the UK government to either fund or direct these
nations' broadcasting arrangements!!

Old July 24th 05, 02:25 PM
John S.

You do realize that the British Empire is no more I hope.

Old July 26th 05, 04:17 AM
Max Power

Read the original text!
I did not say that the UK should fund these broadcasting activities, merely
encourage their funding.
Core Commonwealth members do not have anything like US style independence,
there are different legal structures involved.

Old July 26th 05, 04:19 AM
Max Power

It was replaced by The Commonwealth, this year headed by Don MacKennon (NZ).
You do realize that the British Empire is no more I hope.

Old July 27th 05, 03:58 PM
Mike Lyle

Max Power wrote:
Read the original text!
I did not say that the UK should fund these broadcasting

activities,
merely encourage their funding.
Core Commonwealth members do not have anything like US style
independence, there are different legal structures involved.

[...]

As has been said already, the UK has no input into the policies of
other C'wealth broadcasters, except in the discussion sense in which
they may be said to have an input into those of the UK.

In fact, the core Commonwealth (good expression, by the way)
countries _do_ have something _very much_ like US independence. The
only difference is that the constitutional figurehead in all of them
happens to be the same person, a fact which can easily be changed
without reference to London -- as happened in India, Pakistan, South
Africa, Zimbabwe, etc. There is no kind of measure which can be taken
by the UK Government which has any legal force in those countries;
and treaty obligations between them work in exactly the same way as
treaty obligations between, say, the US and Canada.

--
Mike.