Old July 24th 10, 04:14 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default 800 MHz angle antenna BNC connection

I got a GRE P/N: 30-0028 800 MHz rubber angle antenna included when I
ordered my PSR 500 scanner on EBay. The extra antenna was a freebie thrown
in with the sale. The problem is that it will only screw on halfway. The
stock OEM antenna fits perfectly. But this folding antenna will only screw
on halfway just a little shy of the point where the antenna base pins would
normally drop into place. It doesn't matter if I push down on the antenna
while screwing it on, it just won't fit.

Is this a common problem or just a one off exception? I was thinking of
selling it, but I don't want to pass on my problem to someone else.

Old July 24th 10, 09:02 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"homepc" wrote in
:

I got a GRE P/N: 30-0028 800 MHz rubber angle antenna included when I
ordered my PSR 500 scanner on EBay. The extra antenna was a freebie
thrown in with the sale. The problem is that it will only screw on
halfway. The stock OEM antenna fits perfectly. But this folding
antenna will only screw on halfway just a little shy of the point
where the antenna base pins would normally drop into place. It
doesn't matter if I push down on the antenna while screwing it on, it
just won't fit.

Is this a common problem or just a one off exception? I was thinking
of selling it, but I don't want to pass on my problem to someone else.

three things that can cause that on a BNC connector, a bent center pin
or dirt in the wave washer within the 1/4 turn collar. or
dirt or debris up in the 1/4 turn collar itself..
Old July 25th 10, 02:58 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"John Szalay" john.szalay.at.att.net wrote in message
42...
"homepc" wrote in
:

I got a GRE P/N: 30-0028 800 MHz rubber angle antenna included when I
ordered my PSR 500 scanner on EBay. The extra antenna was a freebie
thrown in with the sale. The problem is that it will only screw on
halfway. The stock OEM antenna fits perfectly. But this folding
antenna will only screw on halfway just a little shy of the point
where the antenna base pins would normally drop into place. It
doesn't matter if I push down on the antenna while screwing it on, it
just won't fit.

Is this a common problem or just a one off exception? I was thinking
of selling it, but I don't want to pass on my problem to someone else.

three things that can cause that on a BNC connector, a bent center pin
or dirt in the wave washer within the 1/4 turn collar. or
dirt or debris up in the 1/4 turn collar itself..

Can this be cleaned in some way? The collar seems to be locked on the
antenna.

Old July 25th 10, 07:45 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"homepc" wrote in message
I got a GRE P/N: 30-0028 800 MHz rubber angle antenna included when I
ordered my PSR 500 scanner on EBay. The extra antenna was a freebie

thrown
in with the sale. The problem is that it will only screw on halfway.

The
stock OEM antenna fits perfectly. But this folding antenna will only

screw
on halfway just a little shy of the point where the antenna base pins

would
normally drop into place. It doesn't matter if I push down on the

antenna
while screwing it on, it just won't fit.

Is this a common problem or just a one off exception? I was thinking of
selling it, but I don't want to pass on my problem to someone else.

Screw on a BNC? There are NO screw threads on a BNC.

Old July 25th 10, 05:58 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"D. Stussy" wrote in message
"homepc" wrote in message
I got a GRE P/N: 30-0028 800 MHz rubber angle antenna included when I
ordered my PSR 500 scanner on EBay. The extra antenna was a freebie

thrown
in with the sale. The problem is that it will only screw on halfway.

The
stock OEM antenna fits perfectly. But this folding antenna will only

screw
on halfway just a little shy of the point where the antenna base pins

would
normally drop into place. It doesn't matter if I push down on the

antenna
while screwing it on, it just won't fit.

Is this a common problem or just a one off exception? I was thinking of
selling it, but I don't want to pass on my problem to someone else.

Screw on a BNC? There are NO screw threads on a BNC.

It's not threaded. There are two diagonal guide slots on the antenna collar
that fit over two pins of the antenna base of the scanner. The antenna is
supposed to install by pushing down slightly and giving it a 1/4 turn
clockwise until the antenna base pins settle into a depressed groove at the
end of the diagonal slots.

The angle antenna I got is new but it doesn't have any give when being
pushed down over the antenna base of the scanner.

Old July 25th 10, 08:05 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"homepc" wrote in message
"D. Stussy" wrote in message
"homepc" wrote in message
[...]

....Which means that it is NOT screwed on. It is put on with a 1/4 twist.

Screw: screw (skr) v. To rotate (a part) on a threaded axis.

There are no threads, therefore, it can't be screwed on.

Old July 25th 10, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"homepc" wrote in
:

The angle antenna I got is new but it doesn't have any give when being
pushed down over the antenna base of the scanner.

If its new, then probably someone at the factory put two wave washers or
crimpped the slotted collar improperly.

short of forcing it. not a lot you can do about it..except

I would NOT try to force it onto the scanner BNC. too much chance of
causing damage to the plastic case on the scanner. I would try using a
disposable or scrap BNC connector, put some WD-40 on it and work with it..
see if it can be losened up. else, chuck it in the circular file..