Old September 3rd 03, 04:53 PM
carter

Default Best Handheld Scanner??

Can't decide whether to get a BC 245 or some Rad Shack
model.
I do like the idea of alpha tags and easy to use software to
enter all of the info and download it to the scanner.
What a the major pros and cons??

Old September 11th 03, 05:20 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

The Rat Shack Pro-95 overall is a good model, and I enjoy it. The only
MAJOR function I wish it had was tone scan and CTCSS (tone decode) as there
are times for me when a locally used frequency is overrun with "skip"
stations. Aside from lacking that, I love the Pro-95.

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

Old September 14th 03, 07:59 PM
Jackie

"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote in message
The Rat Shack Pro-95 overall is a good model, and I enjoy it.

I'm thinking of getting myself one of these for an upcoming road trip... are
you using yours with the stock antenna, or is there another antenna you
would recommend for this handheld?

Thanks,

Jackie

Old September 15th 03, 02:11 AM
Richard G Amirault

Jackie wrote:

: I'm thinking of getting myself one of these for an upcoming road trip... are
: you using yours with the stock antenna, or is there another antenna you
: would recommend for this handheld?

3rd party answer here ... I have a 95 and I recommend getting the Radio
Shack special 800 meg rubber duck. It works, and works great! Much better
than the stock antenna.

But if you're using it in a car you may want to use an external antenna
instead.

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

Old September 15th 03, 04:09 AM
Tom Markert

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 18:59:24 GMT, "Jackie"
wrote:

"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote in message
The Rat Shack Pro-95 overall is a good model, and I enjoy it.

I'm thinking of getting myself one of these for an upcoming road trip... are
you using yours with the stock antenna, or is there another antenna you
would recommend for this handheld?

Thanks,

Jackie

I also have the PRO-95 and love everything about it. When I bought it
I knew it would spend alot of time in my truck so I also bought the
multi band mag mount that rat shack sells.. The only problem I have
had with it is trees, being that it is on the roof of the truck. It
hasn't ever fallen off up to 85 MPH.
And it works MUCH better then any radio mounted antenna you could
buy.. YA need to get that antenna out of the metal vehicle to get
decent reception.
For walking about, the stock rubber duck is ok, but the lenght of it
gets on my nerves a bit, so I am going to make something, or try out
one of those stubbies.

Old September 15th 03, 10:07 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

I currently use the stock antenna for my local counties emergency services
related stuff, but anytime I wish to utilize other counties programmed into
it, a better antenna is always utilized. And that is band specific if we
are talking about using it in portable mode. As far as using it in the
house, the exterior antenna is primarily designed for the 140-150 range but
does well for many other bands, and does improve other bands reception even
though it is not a perfect match to those bands.

I would check some of the major scanner or ham radio retailers. I tried
using a dual band antenna I bought for my ham HT to replace the rubber
duckie, and definitely noticed a positive difference. (Its one of those
2m/70cm ham antennas you supposedly can tie into a knot, and then untie the
knot and it returns to its original shape.)

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

t...