Old October 17th 03, 03:19 AM
Steve Reitter

They have been in use since around 1994. I did a story on them for a local
Monitoring Newspaper which was in publication at the time.

There are small receivers built into the helmets of the quarterbacks. They
are roughly the size of a credit card. Typically the spotting is done
either from above or by a QB coach or backup QB. You will often see a QB
putting his hand to the side of the helmet, he is trying to hear better when
he does this.

The communications are secure (DSP if my 9 year old memory serves me
correctly) so they cannot be heard by either the fans or the opponents.
There is an off-field NFL official who cuts off the communications when
either there are 15 seconds on the play clock or the QB sets at the line of
scrimmage. There cannot be any coaching or directing while the ball is in
play. I did know the frequency range but cannot recall it right now.

The headsets you see most of the head coaches wearing are to their assistant
coaches upstairs spotting the game and relaying the info and play
suggestions downstairs. While the head coach gets most of the credit, there
are a ton of other coaches who are a supporting staff suggesting plays and
player match-up. Very often when the offense or defense leaves the field on
a change of possession, you will see a number of players get headsets or
hardwired phones and talk with their coaches for some insight from above.

Hope this helps

"It's not how much you earn, it is how much you save and invest which will
make you wealthy"

"steve328is" wrote in message
Is it possible to listen in on the coach - quarterback radio? If so,

anyone
got freqs?