Old November 18th 03, 06:32 AM
FAE LLV#11

Default PRO 95 EDACS Programming

I'm new to trunk tracking and recently bought my first trunk tracking
scanner. However, I'm not sure how to program the 800 Mhz bands into
my scanner. Can I program the talkgroup #'s (ie 04-021) or do I need
to program the frequencies. If I do the freqs how can I asociate them
with the talkgroup numbers?
Old November 18th 03, 12:12 PM
Frank

FAE LLV#11 .. .

^ Can I program the talkgroup #'s (ie 04-021) or do I need
^ to program the frequencies.

You need to enter (program) the frequencies beginning with channel 1
(skipping channel 0) of your radio. These frequencies need to be in the
designated order and if a channel is skipped it must also be skipped in your
radio. For example, if you have five frequencies, with channel 3 being
skipped, and wish to enter them in bank 2 of a PR0-95:

200
201 800.1231 (logical channel 1)
202 800.1232 (logical channel 2)
203 (logical channel 3 not used)
204 800.1233 (logical channel 4)
205 800.1234 (logical channel 5)
206 800.1235 (logical channel 6)

In the Radio Shack scanners each channel would be assigned the "ED" mode and
the entire bank would be assigned the "EDACS" mode. Then, beginning with
channel 207, you could enter conventional channels of mode AM or FM, though I
would leave 207-210 open for system expansion. If you enter busy frequencies
(i.e. NOAA Wx, mode FM) into the blank channels (203, 207-210) you will know
if the system is expanded sometime in the future when you hear a weather
transmission in the middle of some other discussion.

^ If I do the freqs how can I asociate them with the talkgroup
^ numbers?

Talk groups are entered in a different way. With the Radio Shack scanners
(93, 95) press PROGRAM, TRUNK, then enter each ID and a text label for each
ID. These ID's are the actual communications channels that, with conventional
systems, were handled by a single frequency.

The easiest way to enter IDs is to wait until the radio stops on one you wish
to monitor, then press TRUNK. The radio will add that ID to its list and you
could later assign it a label if you wish.

Frank

Old November 18th 03, 02:32 PM
HarryC

Frank, how woud you do this? "the entire bank would be assigned the "EDACS"
mode". I can't see a way to do this in the manual.
Harryc
--
"Frank" wrote in message
news:01c3adcd$2fe789b0$0125250a@wqthyngmczujkoau.. .
FAE LLV#11 .. .

Old November 20th 03, 01:51 AM
Frank

FAE LLV#11 .. .

^ I'm a little confused here.....there are at maximum 10
^ freqs per group.

What's a group? I'll assume it is a group of frequencies assigned to a
communications subsystem.

^ However there are approx. 40 channels listed.

What is a channel? Normally "channel" refers to a communications path.
Historically a channel was either a single frequency for either simplex or
half-duplex communications, or two frequencies for full-duplex
communications. Today there are several other types of channels. In a
trunking system the talk group is the channel. The radio operator selects the
talk group with a channel selector and the computer system spreads those
communications over one or more frequencies. Those frequencies are the
"group" referred to above. The frequencies are entered into the computer, and
the scanner, in a certain order and are assigned numbers indicating that
order. These are then referred to as "logical channels".

^ What is my best approach for identifying all 40 channels?

What do you mean by "identify"? Identify the function of the talk group
(channel) or identify the talk group code?

You can find all the talk groups that are being used by leaving the scan bank
in the open mode (FUNC 5). This will scan all channels (talk groups). When
the radio stops on a channel in use the talk group code will appear on the
display. If you press TRUNK while it is being displayed the radio will enter
that talk group into its list of talk groups. Then if you set the bank to the
closed mode (FUNC 5 again), only those talk groups in the list will be
listened for (unless they are locked out).

When a bank is "open" a + (plus) is displayed below the bank number in scan
mode. When the bank is "closed" a - (minus) will be displayed instead.

When a bank is set to ED (EDACS) mode you can still enter other non-trunking
(conventional) frequencies in that same bank following the trunking
frequencies and those conventional frequencies will be scanned normally. Open
and closed do not affect conventional frequencies in the bank, it only
affects the trunking talk groups.

If you have trunking frequencies (marked as mode ED or not) and the bank is
not set to mode ED, those frequencies will be treated as if they were
conventional and the trunking system will not follow channels (talk groups).
For trunking to work the bank must be set to ED (PROGRAM, TRUNK, MODE).

If by "identify" you meant the function of a talk group (channel) then that
is done either by listening to the channels and figuring it out on your own
or by getting a list from some one who knows.

I hope I've answered your question in there somewhere.

Frank

Old November 20th 03, 06:31 AM
FAE LLV#11

"Frank" wrote in message news:01c3af08$bd0f46c0$0125250a@wpyhrsvbedcscngy ...
[...]

Ok let me try this again.....there are 6 groups of freqs. for the
riverside county sheriffs dept. these are apparently broken down by
repeater sites. each has a channel "1" in them. If I wanted to monitor
more than 1 group of freqs. for a different geographical area. Would i
need to put them in a different bank to keep with the channel 1 being
first in the bank? I found the information for the DEC display for the
edacs on another website, at least I have an idea of whos talking now.

Old November 20th 03, 12:44 PM
Frank

FAE LLV#11 . ..

^ ...there are 6 groups of freqs. for the riverside county
^ sheriffs dept. these are apparently broken down by
^ repeater sites.

Each of those groups covers a geographic area and each group is called a
subsystem of the county-wide communications system. The Riverside County
system is split by San Jacinto mountain. If you are always on one side of the
mountain you won't need the subsystems on the other side. If you are only
concerned about one geographic area, Moreno Valley for example, you will only
need that one subsystem. But storing all subsystems on your side of the
mountain is helpful because they often go down (due to failure or
maintenance) so you could shift to a more distant subsystem to hear the same
traffic.

^ ... each has a channel "1" in them. If I wanted to monitor
^ more than 1 group of freqs. for a different geographical area.
^ Would i need to put them in a different bank to keep with the
^ channel 1 being first in the bank?

Yes. For example:

BANK 0 Subsystem 2A
Ch000 blank
Ch001 866.31250
Ch002 866.81250
Ch003 867.31250
Ch004 868.31250
Ch005 867.81250
Ch006 blank
Ch007 868.81250

BANK 1 Subsystem 2B
Ch100 blank
Ch101 866.23750
Ch102 866.73750
Ch103 867.23750
Ch104 867.73750
Ch105 868.23750
Ch106 866.78750
Ch107 868.73750
Ch108 867.28750
Ch109 868.26250
Ch110 868.71250

BANK 2 Subsystem 1A
Ch200 blank
Ch201 866.21250
Ch202 866.26250
Ch203 866.71250
Ch204 866.76250
Ch205 867.21250
Ch206 867.71250
Ch207 868.21250
Ch208 867.26250
Ch209 868.26250
Ch210 868.71250

Each of those banks would be set to ED mode and each of those frequencies
would also be set to ED mode. The control channel in each subsystem changes
as needed by the computer that controls the system, but you need not worry
about this since your radio will detect and use the appropriate frequency for
control.

^ I found the information for the DEC display for the
^ edacs on another website, at least I have an idea of
^ whos talking now.

That web site probably has some frequencies listed incorrectly. Try the
frequencies I have above.

The EDACS system can patch one channel (talk group) to another and both
channels will be assigned a new talk group ID during the patch. So if you're
listening to a pursuit on the Moreno Valley channel and everyone suddenly
disappears, that channel was probably patch together with an adjacent
geographic area so that units in both areas can follow the pursuit without
having to change channels. To find out where everyone is, set the bank to
OPEN (FUNC, 5). When you hear the same traffic press and HOLD the TRUNK
button (2 seconds) until it beeps and you will be locked onto that channel
(talk group).

Frank

Old November 21st 03, 07:09 AM
FAE LLV#11

Frank,

Thanks for the info....... the haze is finally beginning to clear.
although I do have one more question. I have Elsinore area programmed
in and the control channel pops up at different times with a lot of
static. I expect it is when they transmit to the MDT. Is there a way
to keep it quiet? I tried the squelch with no luck. I got the freqs
from Trunked Radio website and confirmed they match what you have.

Bryan

FAE LLV#11 . ..

Old November 21st 03, 11:06 AM
Frank

FAE LLV#11 .. .

^ I have Elsinore area programmed in and the control channel
^ pops up at different times with a lot of static. I expect it
^ is when they transmit to the MDT.

MDT/MDC data is transmitted on the other frequencies the same as voice is but
the radio doesn't normally send it to audio. MDT/MDC data is not transmitted
on the control channel so you would either be hearing control data on the
control channel or MDT/MDC data on a data channel.

^ Is there a way to keep it quiet?

You shouldn't be getting that noise and I don't know what it is so I can't
answer.

Try entering one of the other subsystems in another bank. Hopefully, with the
experience you gain by entering the second subsystem, this will help you
figure out what is wrong.

It is worth it to make or buy a serial interface for the radio and to
download the freeware program that Don Starr wrote (WIN93.EXE).

Frank

Old November 22nd 03, 03:59 AM
FAE LLV#11

Frank, I have the software for the pro95 but not sure how to use all
the features......could not find an instruction manual......maybe you
dont need one.....or i'm to stupid to figure this stuff out.

Bryan

FAE LLV#11 .. .

Old November 22nd 03, 12:06 PM
HarryC

I think this web site might help you. It helped get me through many things
on the Pro-95.
http://marksscanners.home.att.net/95-1.html
Harryc
--