Old November 21st 03, 06:37 PM
A.Pismo Clam

Default Outwitting Home Owner Associations/Condo Associations Regarding Antennas

Hello All!

I live in San Diego and have been a PBS supporter for many years. An
article in this months "On Air" PBS magazine has made my day! The
article is on page #3. It is written by the General Manager of the tv
station. I have not read the document in question, but it does sound too
good to be true. How curious are you? If you live in San Diego, you
might find a copy in your local library.

In essence he says that the:

"...[Federal] government will defend your right to crawl up on the roof
and put up a BIG, HONKING antenna, despite the protests of nosy
neighbors, community planners, rental management companies, local
governemnt bureaucrats and other meddlesome busybodies."

Want to know how? Here is the URL:

www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Now you may have to prove to "the opposition" that the antenna you have
erected can indeed receive "local" television stations, but that should
not be that difficult to do...

Old November 21st 03, 08:25 PM
Richard Clark

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:37:02 -0800, "A.Pismo Clam"
wrote:

... I have not read the document in question, but it does sound too
good to be true.

Such feelings are generally indications of dreaming.

In essence he says that the:

"...[Federal] government will defend your right to crawl up on the roof
and put up a BIG, HONKING antenna..."

The government will DO NOTHING! Which means you won't get arrested.
The converse notion of their helping is dreaming in technicolor.

Want to know how? Here is the URL:

www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Now you may have to prove to "the opposition" that the antenna you have
erected can indeed receive "local" television stations, but that should
not be that difficult to do...

Hi Pismo,

Big honkin' antennas? This completes the picture with dreaming in
surround-sound:
(1) A "dish" antenna that is one meter (39.37") or less in diameter
(2) An antenna that is one meter or less in diameter or diagonal measurement
(3) ... Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline
may be subject to local permitting requirements.

Such interpretation of the law, while asleep, has created a vast
culture of lawyers who are willing to do follow-up work.

The trick is to design your antenna to within the law.
1. Choose the highest point of your roof line and erect the allowed
12
foot mast;
2. Place suitable dish or simple TV antenna (remember, local means no
40 element booms);
3. Run your favorite coax STRAIGHT UP (as nearly you can) to the top;
4. Ground to radial system and AC earth ground at bottom;
5. Gamma match to coax shield at the bottom (hidden).

Antenna does not have to be functional. It only needs to look
functional (do not point at the northern star, Polaris, for example).
If it is functional, you may need to provide for a choke at the
feedpoint to the antenna (to separate the two functions - your hobby
from your TV). Try to place this effort away from major home
interference sources (TV's and computer monitors, fish tanks,
fluorescent fixtures, and so on).

To extend the service frequencies in the HF region (because the mast
is still too short), then add guy wires attached at the top
electrically and physically, which are insulated about halfway down
with egg type insulators, or use rope the rest of the way to ground.
This top-load skirt may also serve as the choke, but don't count on it
without figuring in the time to experiment and confirm.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old November 21st 03, 08:05 PM

Thank you.... .......

I am moving into a housing plan with such antenna restrictions. But
what housing plan doesn't have them. There is always someone trying to
tell some else how to live their lives, or knows what's best for you.

Old November 25th 03, 01:03 PM
Dennis Kaylor

what i dont understand is if you guys dont like the deed restrictions
you are legally free not to sign the deed and move to another area
why should the federal government step in and tell some city or housing
community that the CONTRACT you knowingly and willing signed is worthless
you guys and your wives all want the nice classy neighborhoods and gated
communities with the fine trimmed lawns and lexus in every driveway but
you think your special cause you want to have an outside antenna
well how would you feel if your next door neighbor paintes his house the
most aful shade of slime yellow you ever saw? you would be down to the
community meeting griping your heads off so either live with the
contract your signed or move

Old November 25th 03, 01:59 PM

Dennis Kaylor wrote:

what i dont understand is if you guys dont like the deed restrictions
you are legally free not to sign the deed and move to another area
why should the federal government step in and tell some city or housing
community that the CONTRACT you knowingly and willing signed is worthless
you guys and your wives all want the nice classy neighborhoods and gated
communities with the fine trimmed lawns and lexus in every driveway but
you think your special cause you want to have an outside antenna
well how would you feel if your next door neighbor paintes his house the
most aful shade of slime yellow you ever saw? you would be down to the
community meeting griping your heads off so either live with the
contract your signed or move

Dear HOA's COPS,

NO, it's not time to move. It's time to get sneaky and stealthy with
your antennas, find me if you can. But there isn't a darn thing you can
do about it as long as it's not in the public's eye. By the way, my Dish
Networks dish is going up. Thank you FCC for making them LEGAL. But is
was going up regardless, just like the others have in this housing plan
with such antenna restrictions. HOA's that restricted antennas made
cable the only way your could receive any tv stations. That was illegal
from the start.

As I have said, I am moving into such a housing plan. "WE" don't own a
lexus or similar vehicle and I haven't seen one in the plan. The
majority of people there seem to be down to earth everyday nice people,
until you get to the HOA Cops, which every housing plan with HOA
restrictions of any kind has.

Normal people who reside in a nice house isn't going to paint their
house some weird color, park junk vehicles, let their grass turn to weed
or put up gigantic towers and antennas, etc..

By the way, I haven't signed any such agreement when I bought the house.
I do know that such HOA "BS" does exist just to please the people
residing there that doesn't trust their neighbors. They are the ones
that should move. "TRUST" is the word. I did some checking and the first
house sold in the plan was to a nice family (mechanic) with two
children. He/they have an immaculate looking yard and house. He is a
scanner enthusiast and has his antennas located in his attic, aside from
his dish which is located on the back of roof.

Where there's a will there is a way.

"God Bless America" for the freedoms we still have.

Have a positive day.

Old November 25th 03, 10:44 PM
Ralph Mowery

Normal people who reside in a nice house isn't going to paint their
house some weird color, park junk vehicles, let their grass turn to weed
or put up gigantic towers and antennas, etc..

Hams are not normal people, they want gigantic towers and antennas.

Old November 26th 03, 02:53 AM
WilleeCue

That is right .... put up the bigest antenna as high as you can get it.
If it stays up more than 6 months then it was not big or high enough!

Willee

Old November 26th 03, 12:38 PM

Ralph Mowery wrote:

Normal people who reside in a nice house isn't going to paint their
house some weird color, park junk vehicles, let their grass turn to weed
or put up gigantic towers and antennas, etc..

Hams are not normal people, they want gigantic towers and antennas.

Ralph, just what is your ham call???
Old January 18th 04, 12:49 PM
Volker Kerkhoff

"God Bless America" for the freedoms we still have.

I don't know whether I'll take your way or the spanish way. Spanish
federal antenna laws have gone a long way for the last 15 years.

Allow me to outline the basic principles:

1. Acess to all information services is free. A community, landlord, HOA
or other entity may not oppose to the installation of technical
infrastucture in the "part of the building for exclusive use of the
interested party" or on the "common surfaces of the building shared by
all the users of the property" required to access a particular
information service. The interested party shall cover the costs of
installation and of restoring the common areas to their initial
condition upon termination of usage of the system.

2. If more than one party is interested in the use of a particular
service, they must used shared portions of the same infrastructure and
share the cost. i.e. 5 tenants want Satellite service "A", so they have
to use the same dish. I want to get only FTA channels, with a rotator,
so I get to put up my own dish, using the other tenant's pole and tubes
for the installation, and I heve to reimburse them proportionally for that.

3. SWL and Scanning ist, strangely enough, seen as "access to pubically
available information services". When I put up my first discone on the
roof, the chairman of the owner's board came out, wanting to tell me
"You can't, it's gonna cause TVI". I told him that it was only for
receiving. He asked "What sort of stuff" - I answer "Radio stations fotm
around the world". "Well", he says "I'll need to look if thats allowed"
- "You needn't" I say "I already informed myself" and hand him a
printout of the legal text.

4. Hams are different, but also enjoy more privileges. A ham only gets
the letters for the STATION in Spain, not for the license. So he must
apply for them providing a file with all the elements of his station,
including the radiating ones. Antennas must include calculations about
wind and snow load, guying, etc. Once the application is made, the
spokesman of the homeowners association gets a letter from the telecomm
authority, and has 15 days to oppose. "We don't wand that kind of stuff"
or "All he other tenants have oppsed" are not valid reasons.

Oh, and BTW, CBers must also be individually registered with the provice
telecomm authority, and get a callsign ECB(Province
number)(Three-letter-suffix) and provide initial proof that they
acquired their equipment legally and *with* valid and current type
approval. They also heve to emit their callsign "when beginning and
before endig communication" and "at 5 minutes interval in longer
communications". We have amzingly little complaints about RFI and
similar issues here...

Yes, it's bureaucratic, but what the hell....

Old January 18th 04, 03:37 PM
Cecil Moore

Volker Kerkhoff wrote:
1. Acess to all information services is free.

Does God provide it as a miracle? That's the only
way it could be free. I'm willing to bet taxpayers
pay for it and all other "free" governmental services.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp