Old December 10th 03, 09:53 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Ed Price" wrote:

Great Freudian slip re "pubic place". huge grin

Done all the time recently. I have a new desk with the keyboard too far
off centered. As a result, typing mistakes have increased dramatically. In
this case, that "Freudian slip" got right past my spelling checker.

Have you ever considered testing the universal truth
of your assertion? How about spending a week or
two at a playground, photographing only little girls,
say ages 6 to 10. Let us know if you survive.

Lets be realistic here, Ed. We're not talking about child porn - laws
don't protect that. What we're talking about is photographs taken for
legitimate purposes (art, advertising, travel, architecture, news, and so
on).

Regardless, while I haven't photographed little girls specifically (and
have no special desire to do so), I have dozens of images of kids at
playgrounds, parks, and on the street, in my film library. Some were taken
by me and some by my wife. Whatever the case, nobody has ever complained
while either of us were taking those photographs.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old January 18th 04, 12:49 PM
Volker Kerkhoff

"God Bless America" for the freedoms we still have.

I don't know whether I'll take your way or the spanish way. Spanish
federal antenna laws have gone a long way for the last 15 years.

Allow me to outline the basic principles:

1. Acess to all information services is free. A community, landlord, HOA
or other entity may not oppose to the installation of technical
infrastucture in the "part of the building for exclusive use of the
interested party" or on the "common surfaces of the building shared by
all the users of the property" required to access a particular
information service. The interested party shall cover the costs of
installation and of restoring the common areas to their initial
condition upon termination of usage of the system.

2. If more than one party is interested in the use of a particular
service, they must used shared portions of the same infrastructure and
share the cost. i.e. 5 tenants want Satellite service "A", so they have
to use the same dish. I want to get only FTA channels, with a rotator,
so I get to put up my own dish, using the other tenant's pole and tubes
for the installation, and I heve to reimburse them proportionally for that.

3. SWL and Scanning ist, strangely enough, seen as "access to pubically
available information services". When I put up my first discone on the
roof, the chairman of the owner's board came out, wanting to tell me
"You can't, it's gonna cause TVI". I told him that it was only for
receiving. He asked "What sort of stuff" - I answer "Radio stations fotm
around the world". "Well", he says "I'll need to look if thats allowed"
- "You needn't" I say "I already informed myself" and hand him a
printout of the legal text.

4. Hams are different, but also enjoy more privileges. A ham only gets
the letters for the STATION in Spain, not for the license. So he must
apply for them providing a file with all the elements of his station,
including the radiating ones. Antennas must include calculations about
wind and snow load, guying, etc. Once the application is made, the
spokesman of the homeowners association gets a letter from the telecomm
authority, and has 15 days to oppose. "We don't wand that kind of stuff"
or "All he other tenants have oppsed" are not valid reasons.

Oh, and BTW, CBers must also be individually registered with the provice
telecomm authority, and get a callsign ECB(Province
number)(Three-letter-suffix) and provide initial proof that they
acquired their equipment legally and *with* valid and current type
approval. They also heve to emit their callsign "when beginning and
before endig communication" and "at 5 minutes interval in longer
communications". We have amzingly little complaints about RFI and
similar issues here...

Yes, it's bureaucratic, but what the hell....

Old January 18th 04, 03:37 PM
Cecil Moore

Volker Kerkhoff wrote:
1. Acess to all information services is free.

Does God provide it as a miracle? That's the only
way it could be free. I'm willing to bet taxpayers
pay for it and all other "free" governmental services.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 18th 04, 05:00 PM
Volker Kerkhoff

Cecil Moore wrote:
Volker Kerkhoff wrote:

1. Acess to all information services is free.

Does God provide it as a miracle? That's the only
way it could be free. I'm willing to bet taxpayers
pay for it and all other "free" governmental services.

Should have specified... Free (as in free speech, not as in free lunch)
not necessarily means free of charge or other contractual terms, but
"must be acessible to anyone wanting to access it and pay the associated
charges and obey the contractual terms that go with it. Alas, I still
can't subscribe to a digital Satellite Pay-TV package sold and marketed
to germany in Spain, because the service provider does not hold a
license for selling in Spain, but I can access the 70-something
Free-to-air Sat cgannels in german, and put up a dish for it, and nobody
can legelly prevent me from doing so.

73,

Volker

Old January 19th 04, 01:21 AM
Alex V Flinsch

On or about Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:00:43 +0100, Volker Kerkhoff
wrote about the following in article
:

Should have specified... Free (as in free speech, not as in free lunch)
not necessarily means free of charge or other contractual terms, but "must

With a statement like that, I knew that you were a Linux user even before
looking at the message headers...

--
Alex / AB2RC
Yaesu Ft100 software for Linux http://www.qsl.net/kc2ivl