Old January 1st 04, 02:53 PM
Bill Crocker

I just ordered a AX-31B, active UHF antenna, made by WiNRADiO, though Grove
Enterprises. It's a very small, indoor, directional log-periodic antenna,
with a 20dB amplifier. I intend to point it at Selfridge Air Base, about
fifteen miles from me. I can hear them now, on the telescoping antenna,
that came with the BC796D, but sometimes it's a little weak, with some
noise. This should provide full quieting on the signal.

[link] http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT4.html

I'm also considering the purchase of a PAR MON-3, omni-directional, outside
antenna, through Universal Radio. It's optimized for 144~174, 440~470, and
800~900MHz. They claim it has 1.7dBi. I like it for it's simplicity, and
ruggedness. Here in Michigan, we get some fairly high winds, and nasty
winters with ice storms that can really build up on an antenna.

[link] http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ants/4464.html

I'll post my results when available.

Bill Crocker

"www.activesignals.com" wrote in message
What kind of antenna are you using with your scanner? Presently I have
a discone mounted about 25 feet high. What is your favorite?
--
Keep the volume up

www.activesignals.com has a forum board.
www.activesignals.com for all listeners.
www.activesignals.com is a lot of fun.
www.activesignals.com is worth the look.

Old January 1st 04, 07:52 PM
Frank

Bill Crocker ...

^ I'm also considering the purchase of a PAR MON-3, omni-
^ directional, outside antenna, through Universal Radio.
^ It's optimized for 144~174, 440~470, and 800~900MHz.
^ They claim it has 1.7dBi.

A di-pole has a gain of about 2.5 dBi. Before you spend money on an expensive
antenna, try a homemade vertical di-pole with one element for each band you
want to receive soldered to some good coax. For protection from the weather
you can seal it in a suitable length of PVC pipe with endcaps.

For the bands you mention above, your elements would be: 17", 6", and 3.3".
One of each soldered to the center conductor and another of each soldered to
the shielding. This is not a transmitting antenna so no impedance matching
mechanism is necessary and the coax can run down alongside the lower half of
the di-pole.

To calculate other lengths: FEET=234/MHz (i.e. 17'=234/160.000).

Frank

Old January 5th 04, 05:40 AM
Dxluver

try a homemade vertical di-pole with one element for each band you
want to receive soldered to some good coax. For protection from the weather
you can seal it in a suitable length of PVC pipe with endcaps.

For the bands you mention above, your elements would be: 17", 6", and 3.3".
One of each soldered to the center conductor and another of each soldered to
the shielding. This is not a transmitting antenna so no impedance matching
mechanism is necessary and the coax can run down alongside the lower half of
the di-pole.

To calculate other lengths: FEET=234/MHz (i.e. 17'=234/160.000).

Hey Frank,
That is interesting and I know of the thinking behind it. Have you or someone
you know (maybe someone in this group) ever run an antenna like that and what
are/were the results. {?}

This might sound silly, but you wouldn't need a switch box would you to switch
to each 'antenna.'?? You mean you could use this 'one' antenna and just run it
straight to your scanner and as you searched different parts of the spectrum
the cut antenna would automatically work for the part/areas you were scanning?

Thanks for any reply by anyone. :-)

**I know in SWL you'd have to use a switchbox for a setup like that.
Old January 5th 04, 05:50 AM
L.

"Dxluver" wrote in message
[...]

His idea is similar to the antennas that RS and maybe others sold. The ones
with "3" vertical radials one for VHF low, one for VHF Hi and one for UHF -
3 distinctly different length vertical elements - all mounted to a center
plate and connected to a SO239 with ground radials to boot. I made one like
it once out of a block of wood, 3 clothes hangers and 4 curtain rods - to
work in a pinch. I used 50 ohm coax. It worked quite well when made to
center of the bands they were to receive. No switch box needed. L.

Old January 5th 04, 06:09 AM
Dxluver

His idea is similar to the antennas that RS and maybe others sold.

Thanks 'L'......I know of the thought process, for some reason it struck me
weird, guess it's late. ;-) But I like the idea of the PVC capped, that
shouldn't affect anything, should it?

Yeah boy, I can see this now, about 60ft. in the air....lol.

Old January 5th 04, 06:47 AM
Rich B.

Sorry post was too short there!
Does the factor of 234 equal a full wave or partial wave like 1/4? 3.3"
sounds shorter than I'm used to seeing. Is there any reason, other than the
result being too tall of a device, to use an antenna that is not a full
wave?
Or to put it another way, if I build a di-pole ant. for 850 mhz what part of
a wave length will result in the best reception? Would there be any harm in
tuning for 2 wave lengths? See where that question is headed, if 2 is OK
then it will work on another freq as a 1(full) wave length antenna.
I seem to remember that 850 mhz was full wave at 13.8" so a half wave for
425 mhz is 13.8" too, is this right?

Old January 5th 04, 12:07 PM
Frank

To answer an earlier question: yes, I still use multi-element di-poles and
marconis.

Rich B. ...
^ Does the factor of 234 equal a full wave or partial wave
^ like 1/4? 3.3"

It's roughly a quarter wave.

^ sounds shorter than I'm used to seeing.

This is a receive antenna. A receive antenna will work over a much broader
spectrum than a transmit antenna will, so being precise is often wasted
effort.

^ Is there any reason, other than the result being too tall of a
^ device, to use an antenna that is not a full wave?

I tried a full-wave for 800 MHz and it didn't work as well as the
quarter-wave.

^ Would there be any harm in tuning for 2 wave lengths?

Probably not. I receive vertically polarized 800MHz signals very nicely with
a 10 foot horizontal di-pole.

^ I seem to remember that 850 mhz was full wave at 13.8" so
^ a half wave for 425 mhz is 13.8" too, is this right?

Again, you don't need to be that precise for a receive antenna, but the
formula for a quarter wave wire is:

feet=3.28*(meters=VF*75/MHz)

where VF is the velocity factor of the wire, a value usually between 0.6 and
0.95. But I doubt that you could find equipment sensitive enough to measure
the difference between receive antennas with and without the VF applied. For
a quarter-wave Marconi you use one of those wires, for a half-wave di-pole
you use two.

What you are referring to above is the use of harmonics in designing an
antenna. If one or more of the bands you are receiving are on a harmonic of
another band then you can eliminate those shorter wires in your multi-element
di-pole. A harmonic is an integer multiple of the frequency. For 106.25:

1 106.25
2 212.5
3 318.75
4 425
8 850

Theoretically you should receive best around each of those frequencies with
an antenna cut for about 106.25MHz. But I have not had to be that precise in
order to receive well. I suspect it would be like measuring sugar into a
cookie mix by counting the individual grains of sugar when you could probably
be off by a half-teaspoon and no one would notice the difference.

Frank

Old January 5th 04, 10:43 PM
xoxo

What I read here no switch box will be needed.
The radio will pick the element that is most resident to the frequency your
scanner locks onto and will let you receive accordingly.

Old January 5th 04, 11:35 PM
w4jle

As you make the antenna longer in relation to a 1/4 wave, two things happen.
The 234/FMHz is the formula for a 1/4 wave antenna. This is not all that
accurate, nor does it need to be, for VHF and up. At 800 MHz the diameter of
the antenna has a large effect. For receiving purposes it really isn't all
that critical. The fatter the antenna, the better would be a reasonable rule
of thumb for VHF and up receiving. If your interested, I can give you the
formuli for determining the K-factor. (How much to shorten an antennas as it
becomes larger in diameter)

Line of sight transmissions are either there or there not, a better antenna
will decrease noise on a week station, but the greatest antenna ever built
will not pull in an out of range signal.

1. the impedance changes - this may require a matching system between the
antenna and the receiver for maximum efficiency.

2. The angle of elevation changes, for example a very long vertical in
relationship to frequency would work well only straight up! (assuming
vertical polarization.)

All antennas are compromises, for local line of site to the horizon (VHF
reception and higher multidirectional) it is tough to beat a 1/4 wave cut
for the particular band and sloping radials to increase the impedance.