Old March 8th 04, 03:19 AM
Tim

Frank346 wrote:

Where's your spirit of adventure

Or you end up with a paper weight... that is WAY more than I would want to
do for the 6 extra channels.. you can buy 16 (or more) channel scanners on
ebay all day for ~$40.

Darn. I have the 145XL. I kinda wish I had the 142XL just so I could
say I modified it.

BTW, thanks to Frank346 for helping me identify the bad audio output
capacitor. Repairs are done and it's back to normal now!

tim
Old March 8th 04, 06:33 AM
NetCruzer

(NetCruzer) wrote in message . com...
"Frank346" wrote in message ...
Thanks fred. Anyway to get more frequences out of this thing? possably
more channels?

The article below was found in a modification handbook. I do not own a BC142
and have not tried this mod. Proceed at your own risk.

UNIDEN BC142XL 16 CHANNEL MODIFICATION

The BC-142XL is actually the same scanner as the BC-145XL. It is
basically the same all the way down to the IC controller chip. Both scanners
employ the UC1116 (16 channel Integrated Controller Chip) for this purpose.
However the BC-142XLT is capable of only 10 channels, while the BC-145XL is
capable of 16 channels.

So if both units are basically the same, why the channel difference?
Answer: 1 small 1S1555 diode. This diode is located on the bottom of IC8
(UC1116), the controller chip. It is connected between pin 27 and pin 12
(the cathode connects to pin 27) of IC8. Once this diode has been removed
the unit will now accept and scan 16 channels instead of 10. (Note: This
modification will also work for the BC-140XL scanner.)

Carefully remove the housing screws and disassemble the unit. Remove the
five screws that secure the circuit board to the plastic case. Once this is
done carefully lift the circuit board enough to see the ground wire that
connects the circuit board ground to the metal plate attached to the bottom
of the plastic case and unsolder. Next unsolder the other ground wire that
is connected to the Antenna connector ground. Now the board should lift
out.

Next turn the board over and locate the metal shield cover soldered over
the IC8 board area. Carefully unsolder all five solder connections and lift
the plate off. You should now be able to see the small signal diode
connected between Pin 27 and Pin 12 of IC8. Remove this diode. Once you
have
removed this diode, replace the metal shield and resolder it back to the
circuit board. Reconnect the ground wires and reinstall the circuit board.
If all has gone well you will now be able program and scan 16 channels
instead of 10.

Thanks frank. I programmed emergency paramedics in and its pickin them up now.

What bands does this radio have? and can I get more.
Old March 9th 04, 01:01 AM
NetCruzer

"Frank346" wrote in message ...
[...]

Can I get other bands like, FM,AM,and more frequencies instead of just what it has?

Uniden PC68XL Review Terra Dactyl CB 0 December 17th 04 12:56 AM
FA: Pair of Uniden GMRS750 GMRS/FRS radios Bill Murcheski CB 0 May 27th 04 08:04 PM
WANTED: Uniden Scanner BC002 CTCSS Tone Board Jim Equipment 0 February 6th 04 12:16 AM
WANTED: Uniden Scanner BC002 CTCSS Tone Board Jim Equipment 0 February 6th 04 12:16 AM
UNIDEN Pro-510 CB NOW made in RED CHINA !!!!!!! Dave or Debby CB 7 February 1st 04 10:18 PM