Old March 12th 04, 08:23 AM
Anson

Default Newbie question: intermod

What does intermod sound like? I just bought a new antenna and I'm
worried that it overloading my handheld scanner (Uniden SC-200)
because I live in a very signal rich area. I hear the term all the
time and know what it is caused by, but I have no idea of what it
sounds like.
Old March 12th 04, 07:21 PM
Tom Sevart

"Anson" wrote in message
om...
What does intermod sound like? I just bought a new antenna and I'm
worried that it overloading my handheld scanner (Uniden SC-200)
because I live in a very signal rich area. I hear the term all the
time and know what it is caused by, but I have no idea of what it
sounds like.

Intermod sounds just like regular radio transmissions, but you'll hear them
on frequencies they shouldn't be on. For example, you may hear an FM
broadcast station in the high VHF band, or you might hear pager transmitters
in the ham bands.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
Frontenac, KS

Old March 12th 04, 09:51 PM
PowerHouse CB & Scanner

You may also hear a signal riding on top of another signal. Basically, you
are trying to receive the intended signal, but you will hear an unintended
signal, from another frequency, in the background or it possibly might even
completely cover up what you are trying to hear, depending on the signal
strength.

"Tom Sevart" wrote in message

om...

Old March 13th 04, 04:54 PM
Anson

thanks guys that answered my question.

another semi related question:

I have read that with a big antenna in a heavily populated area my
actually decrease a scanners sensitivity and cause it even pass over a
few transmissions. now that i have my new antenna, how can i be sure
this is not happening to me?

"PowerHouse CB & Scanner" wrote in message ...
You may also hear a signal riding on top of another signal. Basically, you
are trying to receive the intended signal, but you will hear an unintended
signal, from another frequency, in the background or it possibly might even
completely cover up what you are trying to hear, depending on the signal
strength.

"Tom Sevart" wrote in message

om...

Old March 13th 04, 07:54 PM
Tom Sevart

"Anson" wrote in message
om...
thanks guys that answered my question.

another semi related question:

I have read that with a big antenna in a heavily populated area my
actually decrease a scanners sensitivity and cause it even pass over a
few transmissions. now that i have my new antenna, how can i be sure
this is not happening to me?

I'm not sure what you mean by "big." An antenna with a lot of gain or use
of a preamplifier will probably cause more intermod in popular areas than
using a simple antenna such as a ground plane.

Old March 15th 04, 12:47 AM
sam

If your scanner has an "attenuate" function, use it when scanning and
see if you pick up signals that you cannot get without the attenuate.
I have this exact problem with my Pro-95 and a Scantenna on the VHF
band. I bought a FM Trap from Radio shack (part #15-577) that goes
between the antenna and the scanner, which helps quite a bit. Still,
when scanning VHF I have to use the attenuator or I simply won't pick
up the signal. The good news is that when I use the FM
Trap/Attenuator on VHF I get much more then just using the rubber duck
anntenna alone. Also, the outdoor antenna picks up 800MHz (trunked
frequencies) MUCH better then the rubber duck does.

Good luck!

Old March 21st 04, 07:39 PM
Waterperson77

While checking for radio birdies on my scanner, I noticed that I swas able to
pick up a few stations without an antenna. (some were voice, some were data).

I'm assuming this means that I'm close to these stations, signal-level wise.

Since I can pick these up without an antenna, would this mean that it's
intermod or just the actual frequencies the stations are on? or could it be
either one?

When using my scanner to listen to these particular frequencies,(with an
antenna, of course) should I use the attenuator to null them out or not?

I ask because I'm not sure if it's intermod or the actual frequency of these
stations that I am hearing.

On a slightly separate note, one station I hear that I now know is intermod
thanks to this group is the 162.55MHZ weather station in the 200 MHZ range, but
I didn't pick up this stationn at all on either frequency without an antenna.

My questions for this post concerns stations that I am picking up without an
antenna. And I live in a "semi-rural area". (official description).

Old March 21st 04, 11:14 PM
mike

"Waterperson77" wrote in message
While checking for radio birdies on my scanner, I noticed that I swas able

pick up a few stations without an antenna. (some were voice, some were

data).

I'm assuming this means that I'm close to these stations, signal-level

wise.

Since I can pick these up without an antenna, would this mean that it's
intermod or just the actual frequencies the stations are on? or could it

be
either one?

if it's strong enough...both

When using my scanner to listen to these particular frequencies,(with an
antenna, of course) should I use the attenuator to null them out or not?

yes

I ask because I'm not sure if it's intermod or the actual frequency of

these
stations that I am hearing.

check a listing website

On a slightly separate note, one station I hear that I now know is

intermod
thanks to this group is the 162.55MHZ weather station in the 200 MHZ

range, but
I didn't pick up this stationn at all on either frequency without an

antenna.

My questions for this post concerns stations that I am picking up without

an
antenna. And I live in a "semi-rural area". (official description).

lastly, i question the term you describe as intermod.

it's from poor IF design & filtering you are getting the problem - swamping
it- a mixing product of two (or more) strong stations being 'up' at the same
time.
though, ofcourse, the result is, you hear two or more conversations on one
channel

mike

---

Old March 22nd 04, 10:02 PM
Waterperson77

's from poor IF design & filtering you are getting the problem - swamping
it- a mixing product of two (or more) strong stations being 'up' at the same
time.
though, ofcourse, the result is, you hear two or more conversations on one
channel

thanks for all the information.

Newbie Ham question: Antenna (Diamond X-50) Dave Bushong General 6 November 25th 04 03:23 PM
newbie question, grounding joe Antenna 5 May 9th 04 05:55 PM
Another Newbie Question [email protected] Dx 0 September 21st 03 02:58 AM
Newbie question: icom ic-r7000 Steve Uhrig Scanner 0 September 1st 03 06:01 PM
newbie question Tink *~*~* Broadcasting 2 August 4th 03 07:08 AM