Old April 2nd 04, 07:28 AM
Kerouac

Default Newbie question: RS Pro-76?

I'm looking at a used Radio Shack Pro-76 scanner for $50. What should I
check for
(before I buy) when I turn it on? Is this an adequate scanner for local
fire/police/emergency/weather frequencies? Is it worth $50?

Thanks for any help! I really do appreciate it!

Neil

Old April 2nd 04, 02:19 PM
Andy in NJ

"Kerouac" wrote in message
m...
I'm looking at a used Radio Shack Pro-76 scanner for $50. What should I
check for
(before I buy) when I turn it on? Is this an adequate scanner for local
fire/police/emergency/weather frequencies? Is it worth $50?

Thanks for any help! I really do appreciate it!

Do you know what frequencies you will be listening to? The Pro-76 doesn't go
into the 800 mhz frequencies, which many agencies use. If the ones around
you stay in the typical 500mhz or below frequencies, this scanner would
probably be fine. You really need to find out what frequencies you'll be
using. Also, many agencies are switching to either digital or trunked radio
systems, which this scanner will not do.

--
73! de Andy KC2SSB
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw

Old April 2nd 04, 08:04 PM
Andy in NJ

"Kerouac" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks Andy! Think I'll keep looking....

Try going to http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/ and click on Search Licenses.
There's an option to search for frequency licenses within a geographical
area. You can even select a frequency range and it will list licensed
frequencies in that range. When you find the scanner you want, do that,
typing in the frequency ranges of the scanner. It'll also help you find if
you need a scanner with 800mhz or not, because you can type in your address
and search within a distance of that, like 10 miles, or whatever you think
you'd be interested in hearing out to.

--
73! de Andy KC2SSB
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw
http://shorecogs.tripod.com
AIM: shorecogs

Newbie Ham question: Antenna (Diamond X-50) Dave Bushong General 6 November 25th 04 03:23 PM
newbie question, grounding joe Antenna 5 May 9th 04 05:55 PM
Whcih scanner should I ask Santa for? Newbie question csormond Scanner 1 December 16th 03 02:57 PM
Newbie question: icom ic-r7000 Steve Uhrig Scanner 0 September 1st 03 06:01 PM
newbie question Renegade Master Scanner 2 August 10th 03 05:10 PM