Old April 6th 04, 09:31 AM
Wade V. Corbeil

Default Super-Newbie question

Hello, hello.

I just got a scanner as a gift yesterday (BC60XLT-1) along with a frequency
book (Police Call 40th Anniversary); and I would like to ask a question or
two from the experienced scanners (is that the proper term?) out there.

I have searched a few websites, and read the books/manuals, but I can not
find out what the "colors" refer to. I'll use these listings for example:

Lompoc City of (Red Channel) 460.0500
Lompoc City of (Green Channel) 460.1250

Just what do the colors refer to, and are certain colors more viable (or
important) than others?

Thank you in advance!

~Wade

Old April 6th 04, 03:38 PM
Paul Jensen

"Wade V. Corbeil" wrote in message
Hello, hello.

I just got a scanner as a gift yesterday (BC60XLT-1) along with a

frequency
book (Police Call 40th Anniversary); and I would like to ask a question or
two from the experienced scanners (is that the proper term?) out there.

I have searched a few websites, and read the books/manuals, but I can not
find out what the "colors" refer to. I'll use these listings for example:

Lompoc City of (Red Channel) 460.0500
Lompoc City of (Green Channel) 460.1250

Just what do the colors refer to, and are certain colors more viable (or
important) than others?

Thank you in advance!

~Wade

Probably this is a means to differentiate between channels. Instead of
calling them channel 1, channel 2, etc., they use colors. Each channel
probably has its own purpose. If it's a local government, one might be the
main police dispatch frequency, another may be a tactical channel (used for
officers to communicate directly with each other at a crime scene, accident,
fire, etc.), one may be for fire dispatch, one could be public works, etc.

Old April 6th 04, 07:32 PM
Tech2

"Paul Jensen" wrote in message
[...]

This is true. Here they have names like, Bolden, Granger, Tac, etc.
It's to distinguish between sectors, beats, detectives, admin and such.
Hope this helps.

Best coax and entry route. (And newbie question). [email protected] Antenna 3 January 17th 05 03:19 PM
Newbie Ham question: Antenna (Diamond X-50) Dave Bushong General 6 November 25th 04 03:23 PM
newbie question, grounding joe Antenna 5 May 9th 04 05:55 PM
Newbie qrp homebrew transmitter; another question John Sandin Homebrew 0 November 14th 03 04:26 AM
Newbie question: icom ic-r7000 Steve Uhrig Scanner 0 September 1st 03 06:01 PM