Old April 24th 04, 06:56 PM
Bob W

Default Uniden BC 796D - Tape Out

Hi,

I just purchased a Undien BC 796D scanner. The unit is in the
bedroom and
connected to my living room stereo with about 50' of shielded audio
cable.
This setup worked just fine with my old scanner. But since upgrading,
can barley hear the audio with the stereo turned all the way up.

Here is what I've done so far to troubleshoot the problem:

Connect "line out" of a portable CD player to the cable --
worked fine
Connect a set of high-imp. headphones to the "tape out" jack
of the scanner -- worked fine

And suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

PS - Yes, the "record" setting is turned on for the desired channels.

Old April 24th 04, 09:25 PM
mike

just the bearcat ain't got no audio guts, how about the earphone socket?
otherwise a simple preamp might be needed.

mike

"Bob W" wrote in message
Hi,

I just purchased a Undien BC 796D scanner. The unit is in the
bedroom and
connected to my living room stereo with about 50' of shielded audio
cable.
This setup worked just fine with my old scanner. But since upgrading,
can barley hear the audio with the stereo turned all the way up.

Here is what I've done so far to troubleshoot the problem:

Connect "line out" of a portable CD player to the cable --
worked fine
Connect a set of high-imp. headphones to the "tape out" jack
of the scanner -- worked fine

And suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

PS - Yes, the "record" setting is turned on for the desired channels.

---

Old April 25th 04, 03:26 AM
Steve Stone

The record out jack on my BC796D only operates if you program the radio to turn that jack
on for a specific channel. If you wanted to hear all channels you have to program the
radio to turn it on for every channel ? COuld the jack be muted ?
Old April 26th 04, 10:25 PM
Bob W

Hi group,

Found the problem last night. It turns out the "tape out" jack is
stereo (2 cond w/ground), I was using a mono plug (1 cond w/ ground).
This caused the output of the scanner to be shorted. Changed the plug
to stereo, problem solved.

Just thought I'd pass this info along.

Thanks, Bob

PS - Thanks to the person that e-mailed me today confirming this.

"Bob W" wrote in message
Hi,

I just purchased a Undien BC 796D scanner. The unit is in the
bedroom and
connected to my living room stereo with about 50' of shielded audio
cable.
This setup worked just fine with my old scanner. But since

upgrading,
can barley hear the audio with the stereo turned all the way up.

Here is what I've done so far to troubleshoot the problem:

Connect "line out" of a portable CD player to the cable --
worked fine
Connect a set of high-imp. headphones to the "tape out" jack
of the scanner -- worked fine

And suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

PS - Yes, the "record" setting is turned on for the desired

channels.

sorry i meant uniden.. 796D Gig Scanner 1 April 22nd 04 03:52 AM
WANTED: Uniden Scanner BC002 CTCSS Tone Board Jim Equipment 0 February 6th 04 12:16 AM
UNIDEN Pro-510 CB NOW made in RED CHINA !!!!!!! Dave or Debby CB 7 February 1st 04 10:18 PM
How-to seal coax connectors Mario CB 0 November 26th 03 01:08 AM
Embarrassing Moments Caught on Tape David Lizama Scanner 0 September 17th 03 10:10 PM