Old May 27th 04, 04:45 AM
Jon M. Hanson

Default Frequency counter

Does anyone here use a frequency counter to find frequencies "on-
site"? It looks like Optoelectronics is a big vendor of them. How useful
are they? What features are important in a frequency counter?
Old May 27th 04, 02:00 PM
Mike Y

"Jon M. Hanson" wrote in message
Does anyone here use a frequency counter to find frequencies "on-
site"? It looks like Optoelectronics is a big vendor of them. How useful
are they? What features are important in a frequency counter?

I have a couple of the RS counters. The last one I picked up was
the 22-306 model. Got it on store closeout for $40...

I also have 2 of their earlier models. When I got the 306, I should have
looked and bought every one I could find.

Only bad thing about the 306 is the selectable gate uses a 50-50 ratio to
count
and display. For example, in one case it counts for say 10 seconds to get
an
accurate count, then displays for 10 seconds, then counts, then displays....
It would have been a trivial matter is firmware to count for the gate,
transfer
to display, then reset the gate and count again. That way with a 1 second
gate
you'd get counts updating every 1.01 or so seconds instead of 2 seconds.
Still, not too bad. Except for low frequecies when it does a 10 second or
so
gate and only updates the display every 20 seconds.

Mike

Old May 28th 04, 11:57 AM
Jim Mac Donald

Just keep in mind the capture range with most frequency counters is about five
(5) feet for a VHF/UHF 5 watt handy talkie and twenty five (25) feet for a base
station or 35 watt vehicle transceiver. With a beam antenna and amp it may be
possible to get out five hundred (500) feet.

I use the Radio Shack counter when access to the transceiver is possible and the
operating frequency band of the radios is not know, so a search with a scanner
can find the frequency. So It do most of my frequency hunting with the SEARCH
feature .What I would look for in a counter is the ability to detect and
display squelch tone codes along with the unknown frequencies. Many scanners
that do tone coded squelch will also search out the tones, But again you need to
know what frequency band to set the scanner to, for a search.

With a frequency counter once the mike is keyed
the frequency will be found but you have to be close to the transceiver.
Jim

Nelson wrote:

The best one I have seen for the price is StarTek, RS are ok I have one of
those but there range doesn't go high enough with everyday freq. And
Optoelectronics is Boss, but very pricey.

Old May 28th 04, 01:26 PM
Bob Parnass

On Fri, 28 May 2004 06:57:07 -0400, Jim Mac Donald wrote:

Just keep in mind the capture range with most frequency counters is about five
(5) feet for a VHF/UHF 5 watt handy talkie and twenty five (25) feet for a base
station or 35 watt vehicle transceiver. With a beam antenna and amp it may be
possible to get out five hundred (500) feet. ...

That sounds low. I tested MFJ 886 and an Aceco FC2002
frequency counters using an ICOM IC-32AT dual band
walkie-talkie on flat terrain -- line of sight conditions.
I published these results in Monitoring Times:

146 MHz:
MFJ886 - 261 ft.
FC2002 - 185 ft.

446 MHz:
MFJ886 - 145 ft.
FC2002 - 161 ft.

Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com

Old May 28th 04, 04:45 PM
Nelson

I am sure he means in the city where there may or may not be interference
from other sources, but 5 to about 25 feet is normal, like trying to get
that new freq from your local police you must almost walk by the car when he
keys the mic.

news

Old May 30th 04, 08:12 AM
Melv

5 feet? I would bin your freq counter and go buy a scout.
M.Rattenbury
www.ukmidlandscanner.co.uk