Old July 8th 04, 10:41 AM
Steve

Default Pro-38 Scanner Mods

I've read loads of posts about the 29-54MHz
mod for this scanner. I know most people are trying to change this
band for the 66-88MHz band, but like other Brits, I'm trying to do the
opposite.The problem is, all the instructions I keep finding are
unclear as to what exactly I'm removing, since the guys doing it the
other way just need to fill in the blank link. I'm trying to find out
which of the diode, two fuseable resisitors and 100k resistor I should
be removing!!

More concerning though is what someone said about not actually
receiving anything below 39MHz, despite being able to input the
frequencies. Has anyone managed to grip this problem?

I only just bought this scanner for my other half
to stop her knicking my Kenny TH-F7E (Grrr), and of
course, it's the stuff below 39 that's of greatest
interest to her!! ;o)

Would appreciate any help and advice.

Steve
Old July 8th 04, 09:21 PM
mike

hehe.
i work with them & own a pro-39.
i've never managed to make it RX anything.as u say will program ok
but no rx.

never been able to do it.

it would be nice!

the only thing i have found before (and that was on a 38 like yours)
is that the published mod does not seem to kill rx on 66-88 .
so it must be wrong.

hope we get some help!

mike
"Steve" wrote in message
om...
[...]

---

Old July 9th 04, 11:35 AM
Steve

At least I'm not the only one then!!! Out of curiosity, which
component should I be removing for the mod? I can only find references
to "the blank link near the top left corner of the IC", which
obviously don't help much when there's no blank link!!! Lol.

Can you shed any light Mike?

Cheers,

Steve
Old July 10th 04, 03:19 AM
mike

i think the mod for the pro-39 is on www.mods-dk steve.
the otherone might be there also.

mine is written on the back of a service sheet from radioshack which i got
years ago.
it relates to a link by a 100k resistor be the ic.

not my writing sadly.

i know i tried a 38 my mate had years ago, but we could not reset the cpu
even by pressing the buttons.

mike

om...

Old July 10th 04, 05:52 PM
Steve

Does that mean the 100k resisteor IS the link, or it's a link near the
resistor? I got the details of the mod of mods.dk, but it's not
specific enough, and everyone else just copies the same mod on their
pages!!

Basically, the layout is :-

FR Di
Tr - - -
- FR | | |
|-| - - - -----------------------------
- | |
| |
- | |
| 100k | |
- | |
| |
| |
| I C |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
-----------------------------

Where Tr is a Transistor, FR is a Fuseable Resistor, Di is a Diode
and IC is obvious!!!

Maybe someone can clarify (if you're not able to Mike) which of
these components needs removing?

Apologoes in advance for the poor quality of my diagram!!! He he

Steve

Old July 11th 04, 12:37 AM
mike

remove the diode steve.
i'd just lift one end or if it is surface mount
take it out then use a 1n914 or 1n4148 to replace it if necess.

mine (39 would not rx, but i think my vco is not set low enough.

mike

om...

Old July 11th 04, 03:31 AM
Frank346

Basically, PRO-38 the layout is:

Rx D206
Q212 - - -
- R250 | | |
|-| 0 - - - -----------------------------
- | |
| |
- R229 | |
| 100k | |
- | |
| |
| |
| IC201 |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
-----------------------------

Q212 is a transistor, R250 is a 0 Ohm jumper, D206 is a diode
and IC201 is the CPU.

The US service manual does not indicate what RF components to change
if converting from European VHF LO to US VHF LO. Removing Rx should
set the VHF LO plan to US. Removing D206 will probably keep the radio
from scanning. Rx is probably a 0 Ohm jumper that connects IC201 pin 66
to ground. Pin 66 is the second one down from the top on the left side
of IC201. You will need a Euro service manual to find out what RF components
must be changed for good RF performance. A realignment would be needed as
well.

The ASCII drawing may look better if this message is copied to the clipboard
and pasted into Notepad. It all depends on your browser.

Old July 11th 04, 09:31 AM
Steve

Cheers Frank and Mike. Will try the Rx mod first to see what happens.

Wonder if anyone's had any joy with retuning to get it to receive
these frequencies?

Steve

FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 October 8th 05 12:47 AM
Pro-95 Scanner John Jenkins Scanner 2 January 16th 04 01:21 AM
Coax signal deteriotion to Scanner Paul Keenleyside Scanner 3 December 10th 03 03:39 AM
Scanner FAQ... Jon Greenstein Scanner 2 October 2nd 03 03:55 PM
FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 September 22nd 03 05:43 AM