Old August 21st 04, 06:02 PM

Default Texas Balloon Launch Team (BLT) to fly ham radio and GPS thiss...

thanks. I have a ham tv reciever I bought (not a transmitter, just a
reciever). and

in order to find out when some such transmissions were scheduld, I
attempted to subscribe to Amateur TV Quartery magazine. filled out the
form and mailed it, But

All I got back was a letter (and returned uncancelled check, still good.
didn't bounce) saying that "ATVQ magazine is only for ham operatrors"
and that since I'm not a ham, I"m "not allowed to subscribe to ATVQ"
and that "no further discssions will be made on this issue" and that all
attempted future discussions on this issue "will be ignored'.

my comments on this: 1. On the plus side, at least they're not
money-greedy since they didn't even try to cash my check.

2. On the minus side, they're obviously the type of hams of the mind
that "we're an exclusivve group and we don't want any new members. Only
already existing members are allowed in."

Unfortunately, I missed attempting to see the launch at the scheduled
time. (I was too busy sleeping. )

However, I don't think I would have been able t see or hear any of those
particuar rasmissins today anyways as I think Im way over 300 miles away
from the transmitters anyways.

and phooey on ATVQ.

I can attempt to find planned ATV transmissions elsewhere, thanks to the
internet.

they're the ones that lost money by refusing to let me subscribe to
their magazine. which also saved me the same amount of money since I
was able to use the money elsewhere.

so it wasn't any=A0great loss to me. It actually saved me some money.

Old August 21st 04, 06:05 PM

I did try around noon, even though I knew that was probably way too late
since it was the end of the 2 hours transmission.

And of course, all I recieved on that frequency n my ICr3 ham tv
recierver was snow.

Even though it's not a good reciever for such, I think I really am too
far away from those transmitters to pick up anything except snow from
here, even with a good ham tv reciever.

Old August 22nd 04, 07:49 PM
Craig Davidson

The balloon was in flight from about 10:45 am until around 12:30pm
yesterday. It reached an altitude of over 82 thousand feet.

Sorry you missed us. Were you listening on 446.0 MHz FM voice? We had
several contacts from Austin to Galveston all the way to the border with
Mexico.

The video signal at the launch site was very strong. they were using ten
element beam antennas mounted on camera tripods. What city were you
listening from? What kind of antenna were you using?? Do you have a
microwave preamp mounted at the antenna to overcome coax losses?

wrote ...