Old August 22nd 04, 08:46 PM
DodgeVanGogh

Default pc scanner card

Hello folks,

I'm pretty sure there is no such animal, but Iwas wondering what the
next best thing would be.

I need a fully functional scanner that I can monitor and adj. from my
pc.
I have seen the newer units that offer a digital card, and pc controls

my objective is to be able to check freqs from my pc, while the
scanner is away (say on the other end of the building)
any suggestions, comments, ideas accepted!

thanks
Old August 23rd 04, 05:05 AM
Matt

There are at least two manufacturers of computer scanners that are fully
computer controlled. Icom produces two external scanners that are connected
to the computer - but I wouldn't waste your money on them as they have poor
sensitivity and the software is very limited (particularly when compared to
their competitors). The other manufacturer is Winradio which in my opinion
is far superior to Icom. They offer a large range of both internal and
external scanners (i.e. internal = a card that is installed inside your
computer, external = card encapsulated within a small box that is then
connected to the computer). The only drawback to this type of system is
that you need to have a computer to use the scanner.
Have a look at the winradio website and I think that you should be
impressed.
http://www.winradio.net

Matt

om...

Old August 24th 04, 01:07 AM
Bill Crocker

Icom no longer makes the PCR-100...only the PCR-1000. WiNRADiO's internal
"scanner" cards still require an ISA bus slot...no PCI yet available, except
for their overpriced short-wave receiver card. They do have a few external
options.

Bill Crocker

Old August 24th 04, 05:07 AM
Jack Painter

"DodgeVanGogh" wrote

my objective is to be able to check freqs from my pc, while the
scanner is away (say on the other end of the building)
any suggestions, comments, ideas accepted!

Any software-controllable radio (most are) driven with any compatable
software could be remotely controlled from anywhere with:

http://www.symantec.com/pcanywhere/Consumer/

If you are in the same building, on the same LAN, then it's a piece of cake
to use any of the dozen free software radio controls or 30-50 professional
programs that let you control the radios. From power-up to scanning radio
banks or software files, it;'s been done like this for a decade now.

Jack

Old August 24th 04, 05:17 AM
Jack Painter

I forgot to add - logging the radio-interfaced computer into yahoo-chat or
AOL chat, etc, allows you to actually listen to the audio from the remotely
controlled radio. All it takes is a patch cord from the radio's
headphone-jack or line out, into the computer sound card's mic-in or
line-in. Simple as that.

Jack

"Jack Painter" wrote

"DodgeVanGogh" wrote

my objective is to be able to check freqs from my pc, while the
scanner is away (say on the other end of the building)
any suggestions, comments, ideas accepted!

Any software-controllable radio (most are) driven with any compatable
software could be remotely controlled from anywhere with:

http://www.symantec.com/pcanywhere/Consumer/

If you are in the same building, on the same LAN, then it's a piece of

cake
to use any of the dozen free software radio controls or 30-50 professional
programs that let you control the radios. From power-up to scanning radio
banks or software files, it;'s been done like this for a decade now.

Jack

Coax signal deteriotion to Scanner Paul Keenleyside Scanner 3 December 10th 03 03:39 AM
Rare Books on Electronics and Radio and Commmunications Hania Lux Equipment 0 October 22nd 03 07:48 PM
Rare Books on Electronics and Radio and Commmunications Hania Lux Equipment 0 October 22nd 03 07:48 PM
FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 September 22nd 03 05:43 AM
780 Or 785 (w/o Card) For First Scanner ? GeorgeF Scanner 6 September 10th 03 08:46 PM