Old August 31st 04, 10:44 PM
A.Pismo Clam

Default Pro 95 Good choice?

Well Stephen, it matters what you are interested in monitoring...

Port Authority is EDACS, but Nassau Cnty PD is digital, however Nassau
Public safety is EDACS, but Manhattan [for the most part] is Motorola
Type II Smartnet.

Here on the west coast, I went for the Pro-95 because the county next to
me is EDACS. I also have a BC 895XLT that handles the Motorola Type II
in my own community. Agreed, there is a lot to listen to out there!

If you want to listen to the "whole enchilada", you might be better
served getting one of the Uniden digital units, or one of the Radio
Shack's Pro-96.

If however, you live in the "...Hamptons", you can probably afford to
buy one scanner to receive each type of transmission... ;-

Here are the Uniden/Radio Shack Yahoo! group for their digital units:

Have fun and let us know how you've make out...

stephen wrote:
I'm new to scanners and would like a reasonably priced unit to listen to
local police, fire, Coast Guard and so forth.
I am located on Eastern Long Island N.Y. as a reference point.

I was initially interested in a base unit, but the portables are starting
to look like a better choice for obvious reasons.

I've read that RS scanners need to go back to the Shack for software
upgrades?

Will the Pro95 do digital?

What are the bad points of this particular model?

Any other models I might want to look at in the same price range?

Sorry for all the questions but I have been surfing, including the yahoo
Pro95 group which seems very nice.

Tia

--
MZ
Old September 1st 04, 12:19 AM
A.Pismo Clam

If you are really interested in what EDACS, Digital, Motorola Type I &
II are, what they acronym means and how they differ, you'll have to wait
for someone in the group smarter than me... You might want to do a
"google search". I'm sure that you'll find something. The 895 XLT cannot
receive EDACS, by the way, just the Motorola I & II.

I am set up primarily for the city/county fire departments, Cal Div of
Forestry and the US Forest Service. Currently, they are either on AM or
FM. Wildfires are the bane of California & other western states, but
happen they do, every year.

BTW, I have friends who lived in Hempstead and Huntington. Me? I lived
in Newark up until 1972. Couldn't take the mosquitos any longer. Now, I
live near the desert. Big change...

stephen wrote:
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:44:32 -0700, A.Pismo Clam wrote:

Well Stephen, it matters what you are interested in monitoring...

Port Authority is EDACS, but Nassau Cnty PD is digital, however Nassau
Public safety is EDACS, but Manhattan [for the most part] is Motorola
Type II Smartnet.

Ok!

So what does this mean?

Remember you are dealing with a complete newbie although I am an EE for
all that's worth these days

If you want to listen to the "whole enchilada", you might be better
served getting one of the Uniden digital units, or one of the Radio
Shack's Pro-96.

Sounds like that is the way I should go.

If however, you live in the "...Hamptons", you can probably afford to
buy one scanner to receive each type of transmission... ;-

Ha! Ha!

Yea I live in the Hamptons but I am a year long resident, not one of the
summer city folk.
We are the forgotten *poor* who keep the town running during the winter
months when Puff Daddy isn't here.

IOW I work for a living and pay my taxes!!!

Here are the Uniden/Radio Shack Yahoo! group for their

digital units:

Have fun and let us know how you've make out...

Thank you very much!!!!
Stephen

--
MZ
Old September 1st 04, 02:32 AM
Buzzygirl

"stephen" wrote in message

Will the Pro95 do digital?

Nope. Does trunking, but not digital.

What are the bad points of this particular model?

Hmm, well, I have the 95 and I really like it. I can't think of any
particular drawbacks, unless you really want the digital stuff, in which
case this won't do it for you. It really is a nice scanner for the money.
Watch Radio Shack ads for sales. I was able to get this around last
Christmastime for $149.99.

Jackie

Old September 1st 04, 04:34 AM
Bruce Markowitz

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FALSE INFO

Nassau PD is UHF 477 Mhz
NYC is UHF 470 Mhz
Suffolk is trunked Moto Type 2 NOT NOT digital
I don't know what will happen in the future, but for now the PRO-95 is a
FINE choice for Suffolk. TT's Suffolk just fine, from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.
If you can find a PRO-2053, that is the base version, works very well also

Old September 1st 04, 02:46 PM
TlgtrProd

Don't know about going to RS for 'software updates' but you can program the 95
from your computer. Look for other posts on programming. Get the cable at
www.blackbagsoftware.com and I think the pro95 software is at starsoft.com
(?)(someone correct me if I am in error there..) Very easy to program and
change.

Kevin (aka tlgtr)
****
Zip slowly, medical statistics show that over 100,000 people are injured
annually by their clothing.

Old September 1st 04, 04:22 PM
Larry Weil

In article ,
Mark wrote:

1800mAh NiMH batteries can be found for less than $1 each shipped if you shop
around. Much cheaper than replacing regular batteries every day or two.

Why would you bother to have an item like this shipped, when they can be
found in any Wal-Mart (in the photography department)?

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH
Old September 1st 04, 11:11 PM
A.Pismo Clam

Bruce,

I was referring to the listing that is given on the website below:

http://www.radioreference.com/module...e=RR&ctid=1854

The above site has been very accurate in the past.

If I have inadvertently passed along inaccurate info, a thousand
apologies. If, on the other hand...

System Name Type City

Nassau County Police Motorola ASTRO 3600 baud Mineola
Nassau County Public Safety EDACS Regular Nassau County
Syosset Fire District Motorola Type II Smartnet Syosset

Old September 1st 04, 11:38 PM
TlgtrProd

Since you have a computer you can program youself. There is FREE software at
www.starsoft.com and a cable can be found at www.blackbagsoftware.com (I don't
think RS even carries either anymore.) There are lots of sites that will give
you frequency lists.

As for the channel bank 'locking up' there are some channels (control channels
I think-BUT I AM NOT AN EXPERT-so if I am wrong I hopefully will be corrected)
that are constant static and the scanner never gets by it. My suggestion would
be to lock out all channel banks but the problem one and watch for which
individual channel/frequency is causing the problem...and just lock that
channel out. I had the same problem and that's how I fixed it for me.

Good Luck-I have a Pro95 and have been very happy with it. I got the
programming software and cable and it makes it VERY easy to attach alpha tags
to every frequency in addition to changing stuff. I use mine for races also
and have been able to adjust quickly before I go to different series.

OK enough ramblings...post if you have more questions....

Kevin (aka tlgtr)
****

Old September 1st 04, 11:42 PM
nyte tech

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:38:56 +0000, TlgtrProd wrote:

[...]

Thanks Kevin!!
I've ordered the cable from Black Bag!!
I suspect I have a static freq in there that is locking things up.
I'll go searching and let ya know!
Thanks for the advice
Post left in tact so others may benefit from the great info!!

NT
Old September 2nd 04, 12:28 AM
PNTX

This may be of help