Old November 22nd 04, 01:30 AM
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 01:08:45 GMT, "ameijers"
wrote:

... Speaking of 'remember whens' (in
answer to another posters question about Usenet propogation), does Fidonet
still exist?

I think it does: http://www.fidonet.org/

aem sends.....
(just another old fart who started on Usenet with a text interface and a
green screen, on a hard-wired dumb vt-100 or dialing in to the UNIX server
on an 8086 with a lightning-fast 1200 baud modem.)

Hah! I started on a Victor 9000 8088 and a 300 baud modem in
1984. (Hmm. I'm sure about the Victor and the CPU. Please
don't make me swear in court about the modem.)

How the decades pass when you're messing with technology!

Marty

Old November 23rd 04, 07:37 PM
clifto

"I'll see you at Linda's wedding."
"Well, see ya soon."
"Congratulations!"
"Ten thousand a year."
"How much?"
"Got a really big raise this time."
"Sorry to hear it. How's the job?"
"She's not feeling well. Flu, I think."
"Same as ever. How's yours?"
"How's your wife?"
"They painted her purple. They should call her the Prune Fart now."
"Good. Did you hear what Martin and Sheila did to the Sea Breeze?"
"Good, and you?"
"Bill! How the heck are you?"

ShawnD2112 wrote:
That brings up a question you might be able to answer for me. I've never
understood why top posting is seen as such an evil thing. What am I
missing?

--
Britney Spears' Guide to Semiconductor Physics
http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm
Old November 24th 04, 12:19 AM
lance smith

(Jennifer) wrote in message . com...
"SYBIL-IZED" wrote in message ...
We will let the Mythbusters settle that matter shall we...LOL

No need, there's been a Snopes entry on it for years

http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/squawk.asp

But just because it's on snopes doesn't mean it's a fake! Snopes.com
give this an "identifies a statement of indeterminate origin."

p.s. the snopes.com entry has some lines that I haven't seen before.
Scroll to the bottom.

-lance smith
Old November 24th 04, 12:32 AM
mike regish

That's just dumb. Can you figure out what this reply is to? Or is it too
difficult for you?

mike regish

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:30:47 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

I just killfile them.

I killfile top-posters, too.

It's easier than trying to piece together whatever it was they were
trying to say.

--
Friends don't let friends shop at Best Buy.

Old November 24th 04, 08:58 AM
Dylan Smith

In article qEQod.662427$8_6.443178@attbi_s04, mike regish wrote:
That's just dumb. Can you figure out what this reply is to? Or is it too
difficult for you?

The problem with top posting is:
(a) see witty earlier comment where someone wrote a conversation
bottom-to-top
(b) the vast majority (like 99.9%) of top posters do not trim what they
are quoting. Usenet isn't email, and repeated top-posting leads to two
line comments on top of 50K long top-posted trails of redundant
messages. Now you might say 'well, 50K - big deal' but replicated across
tens of thousands of news servers... not to mention most people STILL
are not on broadband and quote a few still pay for dialup by the minute.
A large NG with many top posted threads can soon add up to megabytes of
untrimmed quotes that a modem user must download (and possibly pay for).

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Old November 24th 04, 09:06 AM
Robert Morien

In article ,
Dylan Smith wrote:

[...]

And the vast majority (like 99.9%) of bottom posters DO trim...?
Old November 24th 04, 11:25 AM
Bob Noel

In article ,
Robert Morien wrote:

And the vast majority (like 99.9%) of bottom posters DO trim...?

yes.

--
Bob Noel
Old November 24th 04, 01:44 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Robert Morien wrote:
In article ,
Dylan Smith wrote:

snip
A large NG with many top posted threads can soon add up to megabytes of
untrimmed quotes that a modem user must download (and possibly pay for).

And the vast majority (like 99.9%) of bottom posters DO trim...?

Indeed they do. If you 'bottom post' (or more likely, quote selective
bits and comment right underneath the point you're replying to), by the
very nature of the activity there is an incentive to trim the quotations
down.

Old November 24th 04, 06:47 PM
Roger

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:58:34 -0000, Dylan Smith
wrote:

[...]

And bottom posting doesn't?

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old November 24th 04, 06:52 PM
Roger

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:44:23 -0000, Dylan Smith
wrote:

In article , Robert Morien wrote:
In article ,
Dylan Smith wrote:

snip

and again
Indeed they do. If you 'bottom post' (or more likely, quote selective

That I just don't believe. Many times and even in this group I've
scrolled down through pages of text to find a two or three line answer
to the whole thing.

OTOH I've never forgotten to snip the irrelevant text like a lot of
posters. :-))

The problem with the top posted one liner is you need to look to see
if that was the only comment.

and again

Although this appears to be bottom posted, it was really a piece out
of the middle. (selective quoting) with the whole bottom snipped.

'keyclowns' prevail Dave CB 2 January 21st 05 10:39 AM
Pilot Travel Centers Fined $125,000! Jerry CB 107 December 10th 04 03:49 AM
'keyclowns' prevail! Dave Policy 2 December 5th 04 12:36 AM
Montgomery Wards Model: Airline 62-2500 Bill Boatanchors 2 November 10th 03 06:49 PM
Montgomery Wards Model: Airline 62-2500 Bill Equipment 0 November 9th 03 07:12 PM