Old February 13th 05, 04:42 PM

Default Pro-96 CPU upgrade insanity

After hearing talk of a possible CPU upgrade, I first asked a couple of
local stores. They had no clue. I then asked RS via the webpage. Below
are a series of email exchanges I have had with them. In their defense, at
least they reply. It seems as there are 8 talk groups affected by something
in the current CPU. What these talkgroups and their locations are; RS is
keeping a closely guarded secret. Apparently mere mortals cannot fathom the
sheer complexity of them. They would not even tell me what symptoms the
scanner would exhibit if one of the 8 talkgroups was received. What idiots.

Patient: Doctor I feel sick to my stomach.
Dr: Well it could be gas, or your appendix.
Patient: Which is it?
Dr.: If I told you, I'd have to tell all my patients. Wait until
I take out your neighbor's appendix.

The first email is at the bottom of this post.

In order to provide boards for customers who require the upgrade, we do not
provide that information. It is RadioShack's intention to FIRST update
scanners for customers that live in or near analog trunking systems that use
one of the involved 8 talkgroup ID codes. If RadioShack provided that
information and responded to everyone's request today, we would quickly run
out of boards and then not be able to update any requests from customers
that need them. To better assist you with future questions, please respond
to this original email with the REPLY option. Thank you, Lori RadioShack
Product Support Center LN/kk
---------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 8:24 PM To: RS Store POS Mail user
Subject: CPU upgrade PRO-96-LN-LN
That's all very well and good, but I am still waiting for the 8 mystery talk
groups. I ask again can you please tell me what they are?
RS Store POS Mail user
Your local RadioShack store can contact our Product Support group or their
District Manager to arrange for the upgrade, when the upgrades are available
for customers not using the ID's. To better assist you with future
http://www.radioshack.com
-------------------------
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 9:40 AM To: RS Store POS Mail user Subject:
CPU upgrade PRO-96-LN
Thanks, That makes it clearer. Can you provide a list of the 8 talkgroup
ID's? I don't know them. Also what part # should I reference if I should
decide to take my PRO-96 in and have the upgrade done. The local stores are
not aware of this upgrade. Thanks
RS Store POS Mail user wrote: Thank you for the e-mail, We apologize for the
delay in response. At the present time we are experiencing a high level of
correspondence. There is currently no program in place to automatically
upgrade the Pro-96 in our Fort Worth or any other facility and there are no
programs planned to do so. Running changes and product enhancements are made
to products all the time. Not every change is automatically applied to every
existing unit and our experience and information in this instance is that
the issue does not effect the vast majority of Pro-96 users. That aside, let
me say that RadioShack will arrange a version 1.3 CPU update path for anyone
that wants one, but first... It is RadioShack's intention to FIRST update
scanners for customers that live in or near analog trunking systems that use
one of the involved 8 talkgroup ID codes. These are the ONLY customers that
will see a difference in the performance of the scanner from CPU version 1.2
or earlier. We have arranged a small number of boards and the cost for the
update will be our minimum service fee for a scanner, $49. We are actively
seeking customer contacts in these areas. We have a problem, however - if
RadioShack responded to everyone's request today, we would quickly run out
of boards and then not be able to update any requests from customers that
need them. To our PRO-96 customers, if you monitor a system that uses one or
more of the 8 talkgroup ID's, please contact us with a list of those ID's
and most importantly what system they are on, your address and proximity to
the system - we will verify the system's use of those TID's and your
address, then contact you individually and arrange a prompt update. If you
are a PRO-96 customer, but don't use one of those talkgroup ID's, you just
want the update we encourage you to wait until parts are more readily
available. The charge for the update will be the same minimum service fee -
no penalty for just wanting the latest! To better assist you with future
questions, please respond to this original email with the REPLY option.
Thank you, Lori RadioShack Product Support Center LN/kk
http://www.radioshack.com
__________________________________________ Customer's Question: I have
heard rumors of a CPU upgrade to 1.3. Supposedly this is only done at the
Ft Worth Service center. Can you provide any information on this such as
part number to reference when speaking with my local store? thanks
------------------------
Old February 13th 05, 10:56 PM
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

If you want to see some real fun, wait until the 800 MHz rebanding takes
place. The channel numbering schemes, channel spacing, NPSPAC band edges
will all be affected. Kinda glad I havent invested in a trunking tracker
at this time.

Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 9:40 AM To: RS Store POS Mail user Subject:
CPU upgrade PRO-96-LN

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts By: Jack Handey
Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad. And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.
Old March 1st 05, 07:58 AM
A. Marvin

Yeah I know what you mean. I know that the earth is going to run out
of crude oil some day and I'm kicking myself for buying that car with
a gasoline powered engine.