Old March 6th 05, 02:29 AM
Jim

Default Ultimate scanner (wishful thinking)

My ultimate scanner would let me:
1. Allow to transmit on the frequency I am monitoring.

(Please add your wish)

Old March 6th 05, 04:54 AM
jon

Greetings Jim! I understand the desire to be able to talk back to the
people you hear, but you do realize that is illegal. We had a crazy
ham in this neck of the woods who converted his 2 meter to the county
sheriffs department freq and ended up in jail for about 2 years for
malicious interference. Needless to say he is no longer a ham either.

I don't know what I would want as the perfect scanner as everything is
changing so fast. I don't even have a trunked scanner here yet, but
only the highway patrol is trunked now. I would love to have a trunked
scanner with a blue backlite screen. 200 memories is enough for me.
Why not get your ham licence and do some chatting on the legal ham
freqs? I will leave the emergency freqs to those who need to be on
them. Have a great weekend! Jon.

Old April 3rd 05, 02:10 AM
Dave S

Not sure what you mean by one trunking system per scanner. More than half
of my 245 is devoted to trunking systems. I regularly scan multiple
trunking and non-trunking channels. Am I missing your point here?

--

Dave S

"Steve Silverwood" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
My ultimate scanner would let me:
1. Allow to transmit on the frequency I am monitoring.

(Please add your wish)

I don=3Ft share your wish for transmit capability, but here goes:

- The ability to set up more than one trunk system, and switch
easily between one or the other -- or better yet, to set up
one =3Fmemory=3F with one trunk system and another =3Fmemory=3F with
another trunk system, etc. and just scan across them like
they were any other preset. (I ask for this because there
are several trunked systems here in Orange County, CA. One
is at Disneyland, another is the Orange County Fire Authority,
and yet another is the county law enforcement system (city
and county agencies). There are others, but those are the
major ones. It sucks to have to program up one scanner for
each trunked system.)

- Mobile and desktop =3Fdocking stations=3F to permit taking a
system from the house and plugging it right into the mobile.
They make docking stations (or =3Fport replicators=3F) for
notebooks, why not for radios?

Given time, I suspect I could come up with a bunch, but those are the
first ones that come to mind.

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA
Email:

Old April 3rd 05, 04:57 AM
Al Gillis

How about 100 banks of 10 channels instead of the other way around (10 banks
of 100 channels each)?

Then you could more easily group items of interest together - for example,
you could have once bank programmed for west county law enforcement, fire
and ABC medics. Another bank could contain freqs for East county law
enforcement, XYZ medic and the same fire company as before. That way, if
you heard of a huge fire out on the west end you could scan the appropriate
bank and be sure you were hearing all the pertinent comms but none of the
traffic stops over on the east side. Having fewer channel per bank would
mean reduced scanning time and fewer channels to lockout to avoid extraneous
stuff. With computers downloading frequencies into radios organizing such
an arrangement would be a trivial task and changes would be quite simple.

that's my .02 worth!

Al

[...]

Advice on buying a scanner John Scanner 0 August 25th 04 12:11 PM
Getting into the scanner hobby again.... thinking about the Icom IC-R3...opinions? j Scanner 2 January 24th 04 11:27 AM
Coax signal deteriotion to Scanner Paul Keenleyside Scanner 3 December 10th 03 03:39 AM
Wishful thinking Brainbuster CB 1 December 1st 03 09:18 PM
FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 September 22nd 03 05:43 AM