Old April 21st 05, 11:36 PM
Clive Turnbull

Default No idea what I am talking about!

Just a shot in the dark. My better half has a GRE PSR-239 which she has
messed about with for a few years now without problems. It has now
decided not to locate any stations and scans away without finding
anything. She says she may have pressed something to cause this but no
idea what, or perhaps it has decided to call it a day or maybe the ariel
has failed or perhaps it isn't a good model anyway. A check list would
be handy as we can't even find the manual. The other solution is for us
to call it a day as we are in our sixties and probably too old for this
sort of stuff!! Any suggestions would be helpful, even chuck it away or
recommendation for a new one. Thanks in anticipation Clive Cheshire UK

--
C S Turnbull
Cheshire

Old April 22nd 05, 12:40 AM
mikeFNB

ok clive and hello
now at a guess, i'd plumb for the aerial connector on the inside of the
scanner which has a wire from it's centre pin to the scanner board having
come a drift...that is a common problem amongst scanners.

now it could be 1001 other things
the sensible thing to do here is find an on-line copy of the manual
and try that first.

maybe someone can help

mike

Old April 22nd 05, 12:41 AM
nitespark

Clive Turnbull wrote:
Just a shot in the dark. My better half has a GRE PSR-239 which she has
messed about with for a few years now without problems. It has now
decided not to locate any stations and scans away without finding
anything. She says she may have pressed something to cause this but no
idea what, or perhaps it has decided to call it a day or maybe the ariel
has failed or perhaps it isn't a good model anyway. A check list would
be handy as we can't even find the manual. The other solution is for us
to call it a day as we are in our sixties and probably too old for this
sort of stuff!! Any suggestions would be helpful, even chuck it away or
recommendation for a new one. Thanks in anticipation Clive Cheshire UK

I am not familiar with this model, but some scanners have an attenuator
feature. This reduces the sensitivity so nearby strong signals do not
overload the receiver. If you still have the directions, check and see
if you have an attenuator function. You may see a button on the radio
labeled "ATT" or "ATN" or something like that. If your radio is
equipped with that, then try pushing that button. It is possible the
antenna connection inside the radio has broken to the circuit board. If
none of these are solutions, I would guess that something has burned out
in the receiver circuit and the radio will need to be repaired by a
repair facility. There are a lot of possibilities. I have named a few
of the more obvious.
Old April 22nd 05, 12:55 AM
Clive Turnbull

Thanks Both

I did have the manual so I will do a proper search tomorrow. I do take
the point about the ariel, it doesn't seem to make any difference if
it's attached or not. I will take a look Thanks Clive

--
C S Turnbull
Cheshire

Old April 22nd 05, 05:47 AM
jon

Greetings Clive! I believe what Mike was referring to is that on the
inside of your scanner where the antenna comes in you may well find
that the connection from the coil or board no longer is connected to
the input of the antenna. I have found that the problem on many a
scanner others thought were gone. It is an easy fix if that is it in
most cases. It people connect and disconnect or jiggle the antenna it
can cause them to break the connection. If resoldering is required and
you are not into soldering it might be good to get someone to show you
how to do it. A glob of loose solder on a circuit board can cause more
problems than you now have. Have a great week! Jon.

Old April 22nd 05, 08:57 AM
Clive Turnbull

On April 21 2005, you wrote:

Greetings Clive! I believe what Mike was referring to is that on the
inside of your scanner where the antenna comes in you may well find
that the connection from the coil or board no longer is connected to
the input of the antenna. I have found that the problem on many a
scanner others thought were gone. It is an easy fix if that is it in
most cases. It people connect and disconnect or jiggle the antenna it
can cause them to break the connection. If resoldering is required
and you are not into soldering it might be good to get someone to show
you how to do it. A glob of loose solder on a circuit board can

cause more problems than you now have. Have a great week! Jon.

Jon

I will have a look at it over the weekend. Luckily I am good at
soldering as I repair wris****ches as a hobby and some of these are
quartz that need circuits resoldering I am lucky enough to have a small
workshop with all facilities to do this, I will keep my fingers crossed
and post my findings. I really appreciate the help from the group.
Cheers Clive

--
C S Turnbull
Cheshire

Old April 23rd 05, 10:15 PM
Clive Turnbull

On April 21 2005, you wrote:

Greetings Clive! I believe what Mike was referring to is that on the
inside of your scanner where the antenna comes in you may well find
that the connection from the coil or board no longer is connected to
the input of the antenna. I have found that the problem on many a
scanner others thought were gone. It is an easy fix if that is it in
most cases. It people connect and disconnect or jiggle the antenna it
can cause them to break the connection. If resoldering is required
and you are not into soldering it might be good to get someone to show
you how to do it. A glob of loose solder on a circuit board can

cause more problems than you now have. Have a great week! Jon.

Took it apart today and found the soldered connection looking really
good. Will have a search for the manual tomorrow. Is there anywhere I
might download this in PDF format? Cheers Clive

--
C S Turnbull
Cheshire

Old April 25th 05, 07:58 PM
Al Klein

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:56:36 -0500, Bo Williams
said in rec.radio.scanner:

...and I'm amused for a different reason. I went to see a good friend
of mine Wednesday night last week, and when we were making the plans I
mentioned hearing something on the scanner. He said "SCANNER! What are
you, 60 years old?"

So what *is* a 34 year old supposed to call it?