Old April 25th 05, 01:00 AM
Bill Crocker

Default PRO-2096 vs BC796D, for Mil-Air?

How does the Radio Shack (GRE) PRO-2096, when modified via software to open
up military air, compare to the Uniden BC796D, for monitoring Mil-Air?

I have read that Mil-Air was left out, on the PRO-2096, due to sensitivity
issues, and that GRE did not want to include it in the specs, because it's
poor performance in this band, might hurt sales. But I have to wonder if
the "sensitivity" issues were more related to our times, and that is may
have been suggested to leave that coverage out for political reasons? It
would certainly be easier to program it's exclusion, vs. redesigning the
radio, and actually blocking it. Have those of you that restored it, found
that it performs at an acceptable level? Or would the BC796D be a better
choice?

Living in Michigan, having a scanner with "digital" capability has become a
necessity. Living very close to Selfridge Air Base, makes having a scanner
with Mil-Air capability, an extra bonus. I've owned the BC796D before, and
was very satisfied with it, and regret selling it. I've read about the
PRO-2096, and talked to one owner, who says it's far superior to the Uniden.
So I'm sitting on the fence, trying to decide.

Comments appreciated!

Thanks,
Bill Crocker

FS : UNIDEN BC796D digital trunking mobile/base scanner NIB! Dan Conti Swap 9 March 22nd 05 06:40 AM
BC796D Help Question Step55431 Scanner 1 October 17th 04 09:09 PM
BC796D Lobo Scanner 5 May 30th 04 09:16 PM
FS: BC796D + BeuTel ACR250 Professional! Bill Crocker Scanner 0 February 28th 04 08:37 PM
BEST PRICE FOR UNIDEN BC796D ? WR Scanner 6 February 4th 04 06:15 AM