Old June 26th 05, 09:25 PM
Christopher O'Callaghan

Default A trip to Australia

Hi,

In a month i will be making a long trip to australia for a holiday.I of
course plan on bringing my Bearcat portable radio scanner.I just nned to
know is it illegal for me to bring it with me on the plane?

Chris

Old June 27th 05, 03:57 PM
jamoran

should not be a problem, I take a couple of handheld scanners and a
large shortwave (sony-2010) with me when I travel all the time

I sometimes need to explain why the 2010 has two sets of batteries but
other than that no problems.... I also take a coil of wire and some
alligator clips with me to use as the shortwave antenna

Old June 27th 05, 04:21 PM

Christopher O'Callaghan wrote:

Hi,

In a month i will be making a long trip to australia for a holiday.

Must have relatives there or something Christopher. Why else would
someone want to sit on a plane for umpteen hours, just to get to
a God-forsaken place full of poisonous critters of all kinds on
land, and in the water, including probably the biggest Great White
Shark population on Earth. Oh, and the people walk around saying
"maeet" all the time, and their ancestors killed the natives for
sport. And that area between Perth and the east coast is
the absolute garden spot of the world. Swell place, Australia.

--
Cliff

Old June 28th 05, 07:05 AM
David Bennetts

wrote in message
ups.com...

Christopher O'Callaghan wrote:

Hi,

In a month i will be making a long trip to australia for a holiday.

Must have relatives there or something Christopher. Why else would
someone want to sit on a plane for umpteen hours, just to get to
a God-forsaken place full of poisonous critters of all kinds on
land, and in the water, including probably the biggest Great White
Shark population on Earth. Oh, and the people walk around saying
"maeet" all the time, and their ancestors killed the natives for
sport. And that area between Perth and the east coast is
the absolute garden spot of the world. Swell place, Australia.

--
Cliff

I'd want to get back home to Australia after visiting a country with
gun-toting idiots walking the streets carrying $5 specials, yellowing out
"howdy" all the time, whose ancestors killed off the native American tribes
to push them off their land.. Deserts full of prickly cactus, rattlesnakes
and sidewinders. Weapons of mass destruction stored all over the country.
With awful TV shows with canned laughter, crap restaurants, and oversize gas
guzzling pickup trucks.

Swell place, America

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

Old June 28th 05, 07:45 AM
Miguel Cruz

David Bennetts wrote:
wrote:
[...]

You were making your point just fine until you stepped over the line and
hauled out the TV shows. The country that brought the world Hey Dad and
Stingers needs to tread very gingerly on that topic.

miguel

Old June 28th 05, 07:56 AM
Paul Keenleyside

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
David Bennetts wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I would say anyone from a country that brought the world such television
delights such as The Brady Bunch, Me and The Chimp, WWF Wrestling, and Mork
and Mindy would need to tread very gingerly on the topic.

Old June 28th 05, 01:40 PM

David Bennetts wrote:

I'd want to get back home to Australia after visiting a country with
gun-toting idiots walking the streets carrying $5 specials,

What streets you been hangin' out on? Been watching too much TV?

yellowing out "howdy" all the time,

Huh? Howdy? Been watching old Westerns. I generally just nod,
thank you.

whose ancestors killed off the native American tribes
to push them off their land..

They were damn sure pushed off their land, that's for sure; and, er,
I guess there was a little genocide here and there, but they were
never hunted for sport. And our ancestors never killed any group to
extinction, as did yours with the people of Tasmania...

Deserts full of prickly cactus, rattlesnakes
and sidewinders.

Hey! I love our deserts, and mountains, and seashores, and wildlife.
We did have Bill Clinton as Prez for 8 years, but the ecomony DID boom.
We now have little Caesar as Prez, but we are all suffering through his
*last* term, but hey, nothing's perfect.

Weapons of mass destruction stored all over the country.

Our country is such a jewel on Earth that everybody wants it. It's
called *protection*.

With awful TV shows with canned laughter,

Have to agree here. TV/movies have gone into the crapper, but there's
lots of good stuff from the past to watch.

crap restaurants,

Maybe your choices are just bad.

and oversize gas guzzling pickup trucks.

Have to agree here too about the pig haulers, but at least folks
have that choice if they so desire.

Swell place, America

Indeed it is. I wouldn't shoot a rabid skunkape trying to leave
Australia.

--
Cliff

Old June 30th 05, 11:54 AM
Scott Howard

In a month i will be making a long trip to australia for a holiday.I of
course plan on bringing my Bearcat portable radio scanner.I just nned to
know is it illegal for me to bring it with me on the plane?

On every flight I've been on recently, including flights between
Australia and the USA, the use of "radio transmitters or receivers" has
been specifically mentioned as one of the the things which can't be done
during flight (not just takeoff/landing).

That said, I'm not sure if anyone would actually care...

Scott.
Old July 2nd 05, 10:58 PM
SP Cook

Christopher O'Callaghan wrote:

Hi,

In a month i will be making a long trip to australia for a holiday.I of
course plan on bringing my Bearcat portable radio scanner.I just nned to
know is it illegal for me to bring it with me on the plane?

Scanner as it it receives broadcasts other than SW, AM and FM
commercial bands? Like a police scanner?

If you are asking whether you can use it on a plane, it probably won't
work anyway. If you are asking if it is legal to use in Australia, you
should contact the Australian Embassy or the Australian equilivant of
the FCC directly. You will probably need some sort of Australian
liscense, and you may find that the freqs. used for various purposes
are different there.

Chinese Kerry Out: John Kerry's Private Trade Trip to Beijing Tian Li Shortwave 0 October 27th 04 12:35 PM
Radio Australia Previews #744; 20-22 Oct '04 dxAce Shortwave 0 October 20th 04 07:45 PM
HCJB new schedule Mike Terry Shortwave 0 September 29th 04 06:59 PM
Good online SW guide? frank halaburak Shortwave 6 October 13th 03 07:55 AM
Socal listening Jamie Corridon Shortwave 6 July 22nd 03 05:10 AM