Old July 4th 05, 05:00 AM
mrtravel

Volker Tonn wrote:

rerj37 schrieb:

Christopher O'Callaghan would be well advised to pack the scanner, less
batteries, in one bag and check it, and the batteries in another and
check that too. I still would not guarantee airport security would not
sit up and take notice as they go past the other kind of scanner,
though.

In case you would like to take your "radio" into the cabin you will be
asked to 'turn the radio on' just to verify it is a radio and not some
kind of bomb.

A ridiculous security standard, since there is no reason it can't be
both a bomb and a radio.
Old July 7th 05, 03:30 PM
Mike From Newcastlescan

and check out www.newcastlescan.com

what scanner do you have to bring over

cheers
mike

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:52:33 +0100, "Christopher O'Callaghan"
wrote:

I plan on visiting relatives in New South Wales from newcastle to
sydney.Then i go to Brisbane for a holiday.

chris

"Troy Rowland" wrote in message
news
Where do you intend to go Chris? That will play a big part in what you
can hear.

Urban areas will be just like the U.S. Outback areas are serviced by HF
and satphone, so you won't hear a great deal.

Troy

Q wrote in message .. .
"Christopher O'Callaghan" wrote in news:d9n2va
:

Hi,

In a month i will be making a long trip to australia for a holiday.I of
course plan on bringing my Bearcat portable radio scanner.I just nned
know is it illegal for me to bring it with me on the plane?

Chris

Of course it's legal! Granted, once you get there, if you go into the
bush, it's gonna be deaf.

Took my AR8200 into the bush in 2001, (Flinder and Gawler ranges, SA) and
didn't get any comms, DUH!

I'd suggest bringing one of the new scanners with "near field" frequency
features. The pro 83 or pro 97 (in my stable) but don't know what steps
and bands are predominant in Oz.

Good luck!

Andy
http://tinyurl.com/bczgr

Old July 10th 05, 05:06 PM
jamoran

the frequencies used in australia are readily available if you do a
google yahoo or altavista search several people have comprehensive lists
of australia frequencies on their web pages

same applies for Germany and europe I tool two scanners and a sony 2010
shortwave with me.... no real problems....I found that the airline
operation frequencies ar the same as in the us 460.6 to 461 mhz

Old July 17th 05, 03:39 AM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 04:00:27 GMT, mrtravel
wrote:

Volker Tonn wrote:

rerj37 schrieb:

Christopher O'Callaghan would be well advised to pack the scanner, less
batteries, in one bag and check it, and the batteries in another and
check that too. I still would not guarantee airport security would not
sit up and take notice as they go past the other kind of scanner,
though.

In case you would like to take your "radio" into the cabin you will be
asked to 'turn the radio on' just to verify it is a radio and not some
kind of bomb.

A ridiculous security standard,

An attribute shared by most of the rest of TSA's standards.

Old July 17th 05, 03:41 AM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 00:12:28 +0100, "Christopher O'Callaghan"
wrote:

Many went way out of the subject here ,except for 1 or 2 people that were
kind enough to give their opinions on what i posted and actually answered
the question i asked.
Many thanks to those who answered my Question!

Chris

You've only been on usenet a couple of months, then?

Old August 22nd 05, 12:28 PM
jamoran

there are many australian scanner web sites, go do a search for
australian scanner frequencies and ask the web page operator

I have bought scanner radios from UK and Australian merchants nad had
them shipped into the USA, they work just fine..

I also frequently with at least one (usually 2) scanners and a shortwave
radio (sony-2010) plus I have a frequency database in my laptop

It's fun to listen to the tower, approach, and center frequencies as
well as the airline ground frequencies. The civil aviation frequencies

are the same 108-118 mhz for navigational nd airport beacons and
118-137mhz for voice and ACARS data.

ARINC (aeronautical radio incorporated) also has an international HF or
shortwave radio network they operate for aircraft flying internationally
and over oceans to report positions and receive traffic clearances. This
in addition to the USA network. ARINC VHF frequencies are in the
128-132mhz range and AM modulated.

the first time they saw me, airport security asked what the scanner was,
now, I usualy have the tower or one of the active TRACON (approach or
departure) frequencies in the scanner when I go through security, IF I
dont, the security people often ask to listen to the tower more as a
matter of curiousity.

SP Cook wrote:

Christopher O'Callaghan wrote:

Hi,

In a month i will be making a long trip to australia for a holiday.I of
course plan on bringing my Bearcat portable radio scanner.I just nned to
know is it illegal for me to bring it with me on the plane?

Scanner as it it receives broadcasts other than SW, AM and FM
commercial bands? Like a police scanner?

If you are asking whether you can use it on a plane, it probably won't
work anyway. If you are asking if it is legal to use in Australia, you
should contact the Australian Embassy or the Australian equilivant of
the FCC directly. You will probably need some sort of Australian
liscense, and you may find that the freqs. used for various purposes
are different there.

Old August 22nd 05, 01:23 PM
James Robinson

"Christopher O'Callaghan" wrote:

i will be making a long trip to australia for a holiday.I of
course plan on bringing my Bearcat portable radio scanner.I just nned to
know is it illegal for me to bring it with me on the plane?

It is legal to possess and use scanners in Australia. No license is
required, and the usual limitations apply, like you cannot use it commit a
crime, cannot listen to mobile or cordless phones, and cannot make
financial gain on the information you hear over the radio.

It is also legal to carry a scanner on the plane. Since scanners
frequently look like radio transmitters, you might get some hassle at
security about whether it is turned off. In some cases I have heard them
ask that the battery be disconnected. When I've taken one in carry-on
baggage, I've never had any problems.
Old August 22nd 05, 08:45 PM

Just got back from a trip to Australia. Took my Radio Shack PRO-94,
had no problems whatsoever. The security people just asked me to turn
it on to make sure it worked. We had a 24hr layover in Narita Japan
the motel was right next to Narita airport, listened to the tower just
about all night long.
While in AU, I scanned all the air freq's till I heard something, the
fact we spent most of our time in Cairns, the airport was fairly busy.
I then scanned all the HF fereq, till we heard something, so in short
there was always something to listen to.

Old August 24th 05, 04:01 PM
Matt

Was the scanner in checked or carry on luggage? I have always been
toocowardly to take mine with me for fear that I will be told that I cannot
take it with me (admittedly I normally use an amateur HT as my scanner).

Matt

Old August 24th 05, 07:13 PM

We didn't take any checked baggage, carried right onto the plane with
no problems. Now I knew I could not use on the plane. I had a computer
case with a portable DVD player, 2 digital cameras, mp3 player,
scanner and all the cords and chargers that went with all that. They
never blinked an eye when it went thru the scanners. *shrugs*

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 00:31:54 +0930, "Matt"
wrote:

Was the scanner in checked or carry on luggage? I have always been
toocowardly to take mine with me for fear that I will be told that I cannot
take it with me (admittedly I normally use an amateur HT as my scanner).

Matt

.. .

SP Cook wrote:

Christopher O'Callaghan wrote:

Hi,

In a month i will be making a long trip to australia for a holiday.I

of
course plan on bringing my Bearcat portable radio scanner.I just nned

know is it illegal for me to bring it with me on the plane?

Scanner as it it receives broadcasts other than SW, AM and FM
commercial bands? Like a police scanner?

If you are asking whether you can use it on a plane, it probably won't
work anyway. If you are asking if it is legal to use in Australia, you
should contact the Australian Embassy or the Australian equilivant of
the FCC directly. You will probably need some sort of Australian
liscense, and you may find that the freqs. used for various purposes
are different there.

Chinese Kerry Out: John Kerry's Private Trade Trip to Beijing Tian Li Shortwave 0 October 27th 04 12:35 PM
Radio Australia Previews #744; 20-22 Oct '04 dxAce Shortwave 0 October 20th 04 07:45 PM
HCJB new schedule Mike Terry Shortwave 0 September 29th 04 06:59 PM
Good online SW guide? frank halaburak Shortwave 6 October 13th 03 07:55 AM
Socal listening Jamie Corridon Shortwave 6 July 22nd 03 05:10 AM