Old June 29th 05, 12:12 AM
Christopher O'Callaghan

Many went way out of the subject here ,except for 1 or 2 people that were
kind enough to give their opinions on what i posted and actually answered
the question i asked.
Many thanks to those who answered my Question!

Chris

Old June 29th 05, 12:20 AM
Troy Rowland

Where do you intend to go Chris? That will play a big part in what you can
hear.

Urban areas will be just like the U.S. Outback areas are serviced by HF and
satphone, so you won't hear a great deal.

Troy

Q wrote in message .. .
"Christopher O'Callaghan" wrote in news:d9n2va
:

Hi,

In a month i will be making a long trip to australia for a holiday.I of
course plan on bringing my Bearcat portable radio scanner.I just nned

know is it illegal for me to bring it with me on the plane?

Chris

Of course it's legal! Granted, once you get there, if you go into the
bush, it's gonna be deaf.

Took my AR8200 into the bush in 2001, (Flinder and Gawler ranges, SA) and
didn't get any comms, DUH!

I'd suggest bringing one of the new scanners with "near field" frequency
features. The pro 83 or pro 97 (in my stable) but don't know what steps
and bands are predominant in Oz.

Good luck!

Andy
http://tinyurl.com/bczgr

Old June 29th 05, 02:34 AM
TOliver

"Gregory Morrow"
gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net wrote in
message hlink.net...

Alan S wrote:

You left out the "good" ones - Kingswood Country, Norman
Gunston, Homicide, Division 4 - you're either too young or
you weren't here long enough.

And Neighbours, E Street, Home and Away, A Country practice,
Number 96, etc for all the soapy lovers.

That's just the tip of the iceberg:-)

And at the tippy - top of that iceberg is _Prisoner: Cell Block H_...

Having seen so little Ozmandian TV so as to be unaware of/unaquainted with
its excellence (or lack thereof), it does seem likely that the best "rating
system" available for it would be the list of H'ainglish speaking countries
whose networks clamor for shows from Oz.

Let's listen........Very muted clamor (and only shows apparently making the
Transpacific leap with any ease, that funny reptile feller and a corps of
girlish cowhoydens on the "We" (Women's network) channel). Let's see....I
get three Spanish networks and only two sporadic Ozzian half hours.....

TMO

Old June 29th 05, 02:52 PM
Christopher O'Callaghan

I plan on visiting relatives in New South Wales from newcastle to
sydney.Then i go to Brisbane for a holiday.

chris

news

Old June 30th 05, 11:54 AM
Scott Howard

In a month i will be making a long trip to australia for a holiday.I of
course plan on bringing my Bearcat portable radio scanner.I just nned to
know is it illegal for me to bring it with me on the plane?

On every flight I've been on recently, including flights between
Australia and the USA, the use of "radio transmitters or receivers" has
been specifically mentioned as one of the the things which can't be done
during flight (not just takeoff/landing).

That said, I'm not sure if anyone would actually care...

Scott.

Old July 2nd 05, 10:58 PM
SP Cook

Christopher O'Callaghan wrote:

Hi,

In a month i will be making a long trip to australia for a holiday.I of
course plan on bringing my Bearcat portable radio scanner.I just nned to
know is it illegal for me to bring it with me on the plane?

Scanner as it it receives broadcasts other than SW, AM and FM
commercial bands? Like a police scanner?

If you are asking whether you can use it on a plane, it probably won't
work anyway. If you are asking if it is legal to use in Australia, you
should contact the Australian Embassy or the Australian equilivant of
the FCC directly. You will probably need some sort of Australian
liscense, and you may find that the freqs. used for various purposes
are different there.

Old July 3rd 05, 04:05 AM
Dave Proctor

On 2 Jul 2005 14:58:44 -0700, "SP Cook" wrote:

Christopher O'Callaghan wrote:

Hi,

In a month i will be making a long trip to australia for a holiday.I of
course plan on bringing my Bearcat portable radio scanner.I just nned to
know is it illegal for me to bring it with me on the plane?

Scanner as it it receives broadcasts other than SW, AM and FM
commercial bands? Like a police scanner?

If you are asking whether you can use it on a plane, it probably won't
work anyway. If you are asking if it is legal to use in Australia, you
should contact the Australian Embassy or the Australian equilivant of
the FCC directly. You will probably need some sort of Australian
liscense, and you may find that the freqs. used for various purposes
are different there.

Perfectly legal to use in Australia, without the need for a licence.
And despite what the police will try and tell you, it is not illegal
to listen in to police radio either (they will try to tell you it is
illegal, but when they catch you doing so they will have nothing to
charge you with).

Dave

=====

There are 10 types of people - those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Old July 3rd 05, 11:30 AM
Troy Rowland

Chris,

Have a look at the following sites:-
www.scanaustralia.com.au
www.scannsw.aesvn.org/
They should give you pretty much what you are after. Bear in mind that NSW
Police us VHF mid band (78MHz) in many country areas. This may pose a
problem if you do not have a wideband scanner.

Regards
Troy

Old July 3rd 05, 01:04 PM
rerj37

Christopher O'Callaghan would be well advised to pack the scanner, less
batteries, in one bag and check it, and the batteries in another and
check that too. I still would not guarantee airport security would not
sit up and take notice as they go past the other kind of scanner,
though.

Robin

Old July 3rd 05, 07:10 PM
Volker Tonn

rerj37 schrieb:

Christopher O'Callaghan would be well advised to pack the scanner, less
batteries, in one bag and check it, and the batteries in another and
check that too. I still would not guarantee airport security would not
sit up and take notice as they go past the other kind of scanner,
though.

In case you would like to take your "radio" into the cabin you will be
asked to 'turn the radio on' just to verify it is a radio and not some
kind of bomb.
So it might be a good idea to have some freqs of the lokal radio
stations programmed into your "radio".

Chinese Kerry Out: John Kerry's Private Trade Trip to Beijing Tian Li Shortwave 0 October 27th 04 12:35 PM
Radio Australia Previews #744; 20-22 Oct '04 dxAce Shortwave 0 October 20th 04 07:45 PM
HCJB new schedule Mike Terry Shortwave 0 September 29th 04 06:59 PM
Good online SW guide? frank halaburak Shortwave 6 October 13th 03 07:55 AM
Socal listening Jamie Corridon Shortwave 6 July 22nd 03 05:10 AM