Old June 30th 05, 04:45 PM
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

BDK wrote:

Yeah, I liked the old green monitors that I used to use with my RTTY
decoders. My friend had two amber ones on his and I hated them, even
though they were just as clear as the green was, I just don't like that
color as a display..

My wife and me have obtained an old Toshiba laptop, with plasma
display - superb! This display beats all the early LCDs! We use this
machine for CW practise.

regards - Ralph

--

Want to get in touch? http://www.radio-link.net/whereisralph.txt
Old July 1st 05, 09:39 PM
Bruce Markowitz

The backlight is awful. The contrast is bad, and the color HURTS
I'll bet either Uniden will have to re-do these, or there will be a
cottage industry in retro-fitting an orange or green LED

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:35:23 -0400, Bob wrote:

I agree, green is fine, as are red and yellow. But that almost
violet-blue colour just burns the eyes.

Hey, at least it's not that damn orange color. I like the blue most of
the time myself, but green is probably the best color..

BDK

Old July 1st 05, 11:20 PM

Bill Crocker wrote:

I have a weird problem with red. My wife's Pontiac Grand Prix
instrument
panel is illuminated in red, and it always looks a little blurry to me.
think green is probably the best overall. Remember the "green screen"
monochrome IBM monitors? I actually kind of miss them. Text was
sharp!

Bill Crocker
--------------------------------
A frined's uncle was a enginner at HP and worked on their
first LED calculator. They ran into an odd problem. The durves
that showed the visual response of the human eye where not
all that good. Many men had major problems first LEDs displays
they made if there was any room light. A rapid reformulation of
the LEDs saved teh day. Many men can not see nearly as deep
into the red as the charts still show. And a few can see well into
IR. I have no idea how a females eyes respond, but I suspect the
same data appplies. They were con cerend with males, because
that is who bought the early calculators.

I do know that most women as a gerenal rule can discern subtle
color variations that most men can't.

This relates to LASER pointers. Human vision has a fairly fast
drop in response at the red end, and only a few nM in wavelength
can make a LASER lose a lot of apparent brightness. The deeper
reds LASES are much cheaper then the higher red LASERS.

Terry

Old July 2nd 05, 12:49 PM
Bob

Bill,
My wife's Pontaic Grand Am has the same red lit instrumentation and I
find the same thing, it looks a bit blurry at night.
All this time I thought it was my eyes!

Bob

Old July 3rd 05, 06:53 AM
Mike M.

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 04:55:27 -0400, "Bill Crocker"
wrotF:

I have a weird problem with red. My wife's Pontiac Grand Prix instrument
panel is illuminated in red, and it always looks a little blurry to me. I
think green is probably the best overall. Remember the "green screen"
monochrome IBM monitors? I actually kind of miss them. Text was sharp!

Bill Crocker

I had the same problem when I got my eyeglass prescription changed a
couple years ago. I could see green l.e.d displays fine, but red was
out of focus. I had to get the prescription changed to correct the
problem.

Old July 17th 05, 03:51 AM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:35:23 -0400, Bob wrote:

I agree, green is fine, as are red and yellow. But that almost
violet-blue colour just burns the eyes.

Probably why cat eyes (blue dots) were outlawed on taillights
in the 50s -- the color screws up your depth perception. I notice
they're making a comeback.