Old July 29th 05, 09:11 PM
Andy100

Default Anyone experience with "Channel Stalker" feature on Pro83 ?

Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with the "Channel Stalker"
feature on the PRO83 handheld scanner. I'm sure i have seen this being asked
in here before but cannot find the answer.

I am thinking of buying one of these and had a few questions:

1) I assumed that the "Channel Stalker" feature would instantly find the
frequency of, say a PMR radio across the road, or taxi over the road, am i
right in thinking that (assuming the frequency the mobile was transmitting
on was within the limits of the scanner)

2) Do ALL Pro83's come with this feature. I know the Bearcat UBC72XLT
doesn't, while the BC72XLT does ! - is it the same for this scanner, or do
they ALL have the feature on ?

3) Which is better ? Channel Stalker, or Uniden's "Close Call", or are they
similar technologies ?

Thanks for any help. Just need a bit of info before buying. I have Googled
for Channels Stalker, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there.

Cheers
Andrew

Old July 30th 05, 03:56 AM
M.S.

First off, the Pro-83 feature is "Signal Stalker". It will stop on the
first RF signal detected in the band(s) being searched, generally the
closest and/or strongest transmitter. All Pro-83s have this feature. The
Pro-83 is made for Radio Shack by Uniden, so it has the same basis as the
"Close Call" feature on Uniden-branded scanners. There are some feature
differences in operation, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Uniden-made
Pro-83s are not quite as sensitive as the Uniden-branded scanners. The
BC-72XLT and the Pro-83 are very similar, but do have some operational
differences. I have the Pro-83, which is a nice little scanner, but not the
BC-72XLT or the BC-92XLT (which is the next level up from the Pro-83), so I
can't offer a comparison between them.

Old July 30th 05, 04:54 AM
Buzzygirl

1) I assumed that the "Channel Stalker" feature would instantly find the
frequency of, say a PMR radio across the road, or taxi over the road, am i
right in thinking that (assuming the frequency the mobile was transmitting
on was within the limits of the scanner)

I have the Pro 83. Yeah, that is how it works, but I find that I have to be
pretty close to a radio source before this feature will pick it up, unless
it's a really strong source. A PMR across the road or nearby taxi (like
within 1/4-1/2 mile) should be reachable.

I like this scanner. It picks up everything my Pro 95 does, except of course
the Pro 83 is not a trunking radio.

Jackie

Old July 30th 05, 08:51 AM
Andy100

Thanks both for the good info there, one further thing, does it pick up the
frequency instantly ??. Say i saw someone using a radio (transmitting) and i
turned the "Signal Stalker" on, would it find the signal before he has
stopped transmitting (i.e. within a second or so) ????

Cheers
Andy

Old July 30th 05, 05:25 PM
Alex Clayton

"Andy100" wrote in message
Thanks both for the good info there, one further thing, does it pick up
the
frequency instantly ??. Say i saw someone using a radio (transmitting) and
turned the "Signal Stalker" on, would it find the signal before he has
stopped transmitting (i.e. within a second or so) ????

Cheers
Andy

That is going to depend on how far and wide you are scanning. The wider the
"net" the longer between hits is going to be. Also if you are going to get
this make sure you are not going to be wanting to pick up trunked systems.
If there are any trunked systems you would be better off paying the extra
and getting a 246T. They are about twice as much, but you have trunking, and
close call, and they are very small also with all this in the package.

Old July 30th 05, 05:29 PM
Andy100

True, true ! - But in general would it take a matter of seconds or tens of
seconds ? Say i was scanning around the 440MHz area ?

Cheers
Andy

"Alex Clayton" wrote in message
nk.net...

Old August 1st 05, 12:34 AM
Alex Clayton

"Andy100" wrote in message
[...]

If you are scanning between 440-450 you should not even be able to tell. If
you could hear the guy with the radio, it would sound like you had another
radio, not a scanner. They scan so fast that if you know that close to what
you want to hear there really is no delay. Now if you are scanning say from
the 150's to the 460's you would occasionally miss a small part of some
transmissions. Normally the only real "miss" you are going to get with a
small spread is if one call is holding the scanner, then when it lets go you
pick up on another one already in progress. For a conventional system they
should work fine, but more and more places are going to some form of
trunking.