Old October 4th 05, 12:19 AM

Default 10-codes losing popularity

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:47:18 -0400, Al Klein
wrote:

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 06:58:50 GMT, said in
rec.radio.scanner:

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 02:18:14 -0400, Al Klein
wrote:

The 'gummint should leave the decisions to the people who actually do
the job. At least in this case they finally got it right. Someone
must have been on vacation.

We saw how well comms went on 9/11, even with all the
"professionals" supposedly spwaking the same language.

Those political appointees couldn't get a paper bag to interop with a
bonfire to produce ash.

Cops and firemen aren't politicaal appointees.

But "the people who actually do the job" ouldn't even work each other on the same
frequencies.

First, NYPD operates on 450 MHz. FDNY operates on 150 MHz. The
equipment isn't cross-compatible.

My point exactly -- they had no common frequencies with which
to coordinate.

Second, the people who "do the job" of specifying the systems for NYC
are professional politicians, not professional communicators. Please
don't get me started - I spent 12 years pulling my hair out over their
supposed "expertise", buying systems that covered 25% of the area the
vendors promised coverage for, or portables that were "state of the
art" - in everything but providing communications.

Ditto.

Now NYS is putting in a MA/Com system for statewide interop. I guess
the question of who's going to pay for all the additional equipment
that every LE and FD in the state will have to buy (and then leave to
rot on a shelf unless it's ever needed, since very few systems in NYS
are MA/Com) isn't something that concerns them. And the fact that, in
the mountainous areas, the state couldn't afford enough coverage on
850 MHz.

There may be some states that have people on the ground making the
decisions, but the federal government and New York (both city and
state) aren't among them.

Michael Brown, anyone?