Old March 9th 06, 04:05 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner
Bill Powell

Default Basic Scanner with CTCSS Decode

The time has come to replace my very old Regency/AOR scanner with
something a little more modern.

Right now I'm just attempting to compile a list of current and
recently discontinued scanners that meet my feature criteria:

Need
- CTCSS per channel decode. One tone per channel is OK
Unit must NOT stop on a busy channel just because it's busy
- VHF Low, High and UHF
- Mobile / base form factor

Would Like
- Alphanumeric display
- Programming AND control via PC

DON'T Need/want
- Handheld
- Trunking

It will be used in a high level RF environment (LOS to 8
commercial/public safety/ham towers) so I suspect that I'll have to
add some external filtering but a receiver with some front-end
selectivity to start with (electronically tuned filter) would be
great.

Suggestions?
Bill
Old March 11th 06, 04:05 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 04:05:53 GMT, Bill Powell wrote:

Need
- CTCSS per channel decode. One tone per channel is OK
Unit must NOT stop on a busy channel just because it's busy
- VHF Low, High and UHF
- Mobile / base form factor

Would Like
- Alphanumeric display
- Programming AND control via PC

That limits you to Uniden.

DON'T Need/want
- Handheld
- Trunking

You're going to get it, though.

It will be used in a high level RF environment (LOS to 8
commercial/public safety/ham towers) so I suspect that I'll have to
add some external filtering

Motorola G-strips for VHF-lo and VHF-hi. Maybe something like a
U44BBT for UHF. You'd have to add a lot of circuitry to make them
scanners, though.

Scanners have barn doors for front ends. If you want to use a scanner
get used to the fact that you're going to receive lots of intermod in
that environment. You either get a good receiver or you get a scanner
- no one makes a scanner with a G-strip front end, and no one ever
will.

but a receiver with some front-end selectivity to start with
(electronically tuned filter) would be great.

The kind of filter you'd need would cost more than a scanner.

Sometimes, you *can't* get there from here.
Old March 14th 06, 01:55 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

I just picked up the new Uniden BC898T this weekend it will do
everything you want except for
Alphanumeric display. It uses standard 9pin serial cable to connect to
the PC, it also has the
new 6.5KHZ freq step that commercial radios will be using. I have a
Cushman service monitor
to check HT & mobile rigs but needed something to decode DCS & CTCSS
tones & the 898
really does a good job, it will display which type of tone and tone
frequency on even the weakest signals, it also does all 3 types of
trunking and alot of other features and theres free
softwae out there for it.