Old April 6th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
will buck

Default Pro-2006 with full Optoscan 456 Owner with Newbe Qustions

Just recently purchased a Pro-2006 with the full Optoscan 456
installed. I've owned many scanners in the past, AR8000, Yupi MVT-7100,
but this is my first PC controlled radio.

Qustion #1: Whats the best overall software? I'm looking for
Import/Export functions, time stamped remote recording direct to hard
drive. Looking at Probe V7, but will it work with Windows XP? Can I
download a trial version of Probe? Is there any other, more modern
software out there?

Question#2: What kind of digital signals can I receive? This Pro-2006
has a discriminator output. Will I need a converter? I would love to
decode some satellite transmissions.

Question #3: What's the best overall antenna? So far I'm leaning toward
a Diamond Discone.

I would appreciate any helpful info.

73's John in San Antonio TX..

Old April 6th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

On 5 Apr 2006 21:35:47 -0700, "will buck"
wrote:

Question#2: What kind of digital signals can I receive? This Pro-2006
has a discriminator output. Will I need a converter? I would love to
decode some satellite transmissions.

Many satellite transmissions aren't digital, they're plain old analog
voice. Most of the rest are encrypted, so you can't do anything with
them. The remaining ones can be almost any mode. Amateur radio stuff
is easily decoded, as is WeFax.

Question #3: What's the best overall antenna?

For what frequency and use? Satellite? 800 MHz? VHF-lo?

So far I'm leaning toward a Diamond Discone.

The only "best" about a discone is that it matches the cable for a
pretty wide frequency range - up to 4:1 if designed properly (although
they usually don't make it for more than a 3:1 range). 30 MHz to 3
GHz? That's advertising hype, not reality.

No one can tell you what antenna will do what *you* need done best
until you tell us what you need done. Frequency and elevation
(terrestrial or satellite), mainly. Also what kind of range are you
looking for? Something realistic, or an 850 MHz base station 120
miles away? (Which can be done if you have enough money, but there
are many new cars that cost less.)
Old April 13th 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Scan Da Bands

Probe 7.0 is GREAT.....running it as we speak.....but my opinion
forget XP , get an get around a 150 - 300 mhz laptop , runs fantastic
with Win 98 and ME , I've used both 98 on a Gateway 2000 laptop and ME
with an IBM 390E with flying colors....LOVE PROBE , set it up with
your sound card for the alarms and all , WELL WORTH IT....The speed I
suggested I know they are old but Probe works beautiful around that
neighborhood....I have ran Probe with XP (Both 2006/Full 456 and 2042/
Full O535) but you have to change things like speed and decoding
seconds and all that or it will miss way more than I think you want to
deal with......if you must try XP , advice .....get DIRECT I/O , your
gonna need it.....oh and Probe is "logging heaven"...big plus in my
book , decodes ACCURATELY also.......good luck.

Old April 13th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
will buck

I've heard very good things about PROBE. Tried to buy it from
DataFilesInc, but no response. If u what to sell me your copy, give me
a shout at

Thanks for the info..

Old April 14th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Scan Da Bands

Nope don't want to sell mine.......good luck