Old August 1st 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Worth buying new receiver???

I was heavily into shortwave back in the late 70s and up through the
early 90s. While looking around on the internet, I came across some
pages dealing with shortwave. This resparked an interest.

Back in the day I used an old Hammarlund HQ100 along with numerous
digital portables. I am thinking about getting back into it again. My
question is this: With most stations streaming on the Web is it really
that long before there's not much to listen to on SW? From what I've
read, most stations have either left SW or cut their schedules way back.

What do you all think? Is it worth buying new equipment or is the hobby
dying?
Old August 1st 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Doug Brandon wrote:
I was heavily into shortwave back in the late 70s and up through the
early 90s. While looking around on the internet, I came across some
pages dealing with shortwave. This resparked an interest.

Back in the day I used an old Hammarlund HQ100 along with numerous
digital portables. I am thinking about getting back into it again. My
question is this: With most stations streaming on the Web is it really
that long before there's not much to listen to on SW? From what I've
read, most stations have either left SW or cut their schedules way back.

What do you all think? Is it worth buying new equipment or is the hobby
dying?

Worth buying new equipment.. Not like it was in the 1950's but

Routinly listen to Australia & New Zealand daily..

Many good portables out there;

& check out this link . . .

http://hfradio.org/english/

Old August 1st 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Doug Brandon wrote:
I was heavily into shortwave back in the late 70s and up through the
early 90s. While looking around on the internet, I came across some
pages dealing with shortwave. This resparked an interest.

Back in the day I used an old Hammarlund HQ100 along with numerous
digital portables. I am thinking about getting back into it again. My
question is this: With most stations streaming on the Web is it really
that long before there's not much to listen to on SW? From what I've
read, most stations have either left SW or cut their schedules way back.

What do you all think? Is it worth buying new equipment or is the hobby
dying?

On a good night, there seems to me to be plenty to listen
to...sometimes too much and things seem sort of crowded. That said,
there are easily fewer big international broadcasters now than decades
ago. Are the "big boys" all you want to listen to, or are you
interested in some sideband listening? If the latter, then there's
plenty to hear and you should plunk for a new receiver. There's my two
cents.

Old August 1st 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

There is a tremendous amout to listen to on shortwave.

--James-

Old August 1st 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Doug Brandon wrote:

What do you all think? Is it worth buying new equipment or is the hobby
dying?

You can't imagine how many radios I have here. I've never really
stopped buying them. My latest addition: a Grundig Satellit 2100. I
wanted one badly when they were new (1977ish) but couldn't afford it at
the time.

I've got dozens of others, ranging from 1930's floor standing tube
antiques to large portables (the 2100, Satellit 650, 700 and 800) to
small digital portables (Degen 1102, Grundig YB 400).

The hobby is unquestionably "dying", but there's still plenty to listen
to. Do an eBay search on "Shortwave radio" and take your pick.

Mike

Old August 1st 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Doug Brandon wrote:
I was heavily into shortwave back in the late 70s and up through the
early 90s. While looking around on the internet, I came across some
pages dealing with shortwave. This resparked an interest.

Back in the day I used an old Hammarlund HQ100 along with numerous
digital portables. I am thinking about getting back into it again. My
question is this: With most stations streaming on the Web is it really
that long before there's not much to listen to on SW? From what I've
read, most stations have either left SW or cut their schedules way back.

What do you all think? Is it worth buying new equipment or is the hobby
dying?

The BBC left North American relays, but that only made hearing them
more of a challenge. I like the unfiltered news on shortwave, though
you can get that on the net nowadays I suppose.

Monitor Radio and RFPI are history, but you still have Gene Scott. Why
a few days ago he was warning us about Y2K.

Old August 1st 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I never stop buying old radios whenever I find them at thrift
stores,junk shops,fleamarkets.Yard sales,I am too lazy to get up that
early in the morning and drive around to them yard sales.I reckon I own
at least between two hundred to three hundred old radios.Some of them
ok,some of them act like they want to work,some of them dont work at
all.I enjoy having them hanging around.You can never own too many
radios,no more so than wimmin can never own too many shoes and dresses.
cuhulin

Old August 1st 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Sony 7600 GR.Check www.jr.com and Amazon.Not much over $100.00.
Or like Meg the weathergirl said on WLBT tv news a couple of days
ago,,,,, Not lookin at a whole lot of rain,,, isolated clouds,,,,,,,
isolated thunderstorms,,,,,,

I bet she is from Ireland.
cuhulin

Old August 1st 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I can get BBC America on DirecTV.But not untill they get a prettier
lookin woman on there will I ever tune in again.
cuhulin