Old August 2nd 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Any recommendations for a sw radio with good sound for outside use?

Hi everyone. I'm in need of a shortwave radio that I could use outside that
has a large enough speaker with clear sound to be heard from 20 feet away or
more. I have been using an old Zenith Royal 3000 but i have lost the knob
to change the bands, plus it has seen better days and is in terrible
condition, though suitable for when I am doing yardwork, shopwork, etc. I
was wondering if there are any newer radios out there that have comparable
sound quality to the Royal 3000 (grundig s-350, et. al??) or if I should try
to find a knob somewhere and stick with the oldie until it dies?
I know durability is an issue as well, since nothing built recently can
compare with the 3000 but I can accept that just as long as the radio is
large enough so I don't accidentally step on it, forget it, etc.

Old August 2nd 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Kurt" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'm a bit biased, but an older Sangean ATS-803A
(aka Radio Shack's Realistic DX-440) will work.
I used to listen to shortwave and Jim Rome while
working on adding rails to my back porch with one.

Loads of them can be found on eBay.

--Mike L.

Old August 3rd 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Kurt wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm in need of a shortwave radio that I could use outside that
has a large enough speaker with clear sound to be heard from 20 feet away or
more. I have been using an old Zenith Royal 3000 but i have lost the knob
to change the bands, plus it has seen better days and is in terrible
condition, though suitable for when I am doing yardwork, shopwork, etc. I
was wondering if there are any newer radios out there that have comparable
sound quality to the Royal 3000 (grundig s-350, et. al??) or if I should try
to find a knob somewhere and stick with the oldie until it dies?
I know durability is an issue as well, since nothing built recently can
compare with the 3000 but I can accept that just as long as the radio is
large enough so I don't accidentally step on it, forget it, etc.

Grundig Satellit 650

Old August 3rd 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Douche Bag" wrote in message
ups.com...
Save your money. Shortwave is dead. Nothing to listen to. Go buy an XM,

Here ya go:

http://www.narang.com/instructions/douchebagset.html

BH

Old August 3rd 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dear Kurt,

Another "oldie-but-goodie" which might satisfy you, IF you can find one
in good condition at a reasonable price, is the Realistic DX-400/Uniden
CR-2021.

Clear, powerful sound is one of its notable attributes. It features
triple conversion circuitry and is fairly sensitive. It works well off
NiMH rechargeable "C" size batteries. (It is a battery-eater so don't
use it with standard alkaline batteries - the operating cost would be
too high.)

Two other radios should be mentioned, though the price is probably much
more than you want to spend: the Eton E1 (with which I have no
experience, but appears to have all the attributes you desire) @ $500
and the Grundig Satellit 800 (with which I have a great deal of
experience; it has the best sound quality of ANY shortwave receiver
through its internal speaker) available reconditioned (which means as
good as or better than new) @ $430 from Universal Radio.

I hope this information is of some use to you.

Best,

Joe

Old August 3rd 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

any that YOU'VE heard.

I can think of a few PORTABLE radios that I have that sound much better than
the Sat 800.
Panasonic RF1150, RF5000, RF3000, RF1600 to name a few. Maybe we define
sound quality different. I am referring to amount of available bass and
treble at the stock speaker...

Old August 3rd 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Kurt wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm in need of a shortwave radio that I could use outside that
has a large enough speaker with clear sound to be heard from 20 feet away or
more. I have been using an old Zenith Royal 3000 but i have lost the knob
to change the bands, plus it has seen better days and is in terrible
condition, though suitable for when I am doing yardwork, shopwork, etc. I
was wondering if there are any newer radios out there that have comparable
sound quality to the Royal 3000 (grundig s-350, et. al??) or if I should try
to find a knob somewhere and stick with the oldie until it dies?
I know durability is an issue as well, since nothing built recently can
compare with the 3000 but I can accept that just as long as the radio is
large enough so I don't accidentally step on it, forget it, etc.

The Grundig 350 or the latest radio from Redsun RP2100 should fulfill
your needs for a good sounding radio with enough strength to be heard.
Take a look at the reviews on www.radiointel.com

If all you are missing is a knob on a utility radio for the backyard I
would find a replacement and make the Zenith work. If it otherwise
does the job why spend over $100.00 on a new radio to get grunged up in
the backyard.

I've never heard the Royal 3000, so I can't give you a comparison.

Old August 3rd 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Jim Hackett" wrote:

"best sound quality of ANY shortwave receiver"?????

any that YOU'VE heard.

I can think of a few PORTABLE radios that I have that sound much better than
the Sat 800.
Panasonic RF1150, RF5000, RF3000, RF1600 to name a few. Maybe we define
sound quality different. I am referring to amount of available bass and
treble at the stock speaker...

Not to mention the Grundig Satellit 650. Only an average performer on
SW, but has *great* sound. Not exactly a "portable", but it does have
a handle!

The 800 sounds OK - not great - but is an otherwise outstanding
performer on SW. It's only a dinky 4 inch speaker in that huge ass box.

I have both of the above radios - among many others - so I speak from
experience.

Mike
Old August 3rd 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"John S." wrote:

The Grundig 350 or the latest radio from Redsun RP2100 should fulfill
your needs for a good sounding radio with enough strength to be heard.
Take a look at the reviews on www.radiointel.com

Do any of these portables can also be used with a
infrared remote control?