Old August 6th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Valves and Tubes

Why do some people call Tubes,Valves?
cuhulin

Old August 6th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Valve" is a lot more accurate to describe the function of vaccuum tubes,
when you think about it. "Tube" simply describes the shape of the
"container" of the item, but "valve" is exactly what a tube does-- control
the amount or flow of electrons. I think it's a much more appropriate word
for a basic building block of circuits than tube.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

Old August 6th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Its TUBE in the US

Its VALVE in the UK

Old August 7th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I think so too,Guy.When I was in my hotel room in Hong Kong,I heard a
woman on the radio in my room say,Redifusion.(maybe I mispelled
that,Redifusion=Radio)
cuhulin

Old August 7th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.devilfinder.com Redifusion Radio.

What the H..L! there are two ff's in Redifusion.
cuhulin

Old August 7th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

And if you are Polish,its Balve.
cuhulin

Old August 7th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Al Al is offline

wrote in message
Why do some people call Tubes,Valves?
cuhulin

Originally named Fleming's valve, after the inventor of the vacuum tube.
Al

Old August 7th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 21:11:01 -0400, "Al"
wrote:

wrote in message
Why do some people call Tubes,Valves?
cuhulin

Originally named Fleming's valve, after the inventor of the vacuum tube.
Al

Like most cool ****, there was no single inventor.

''Though the thermionic emission effect was observed as early as 1873,
it is Thomas Edison's 1883 investigation of the "Edison Effect" that
is the best known. He promptly patented it (U.S. Patent 307031), but
as the particle nature of the electron was not known until 1897, he
did not understand the process.

[edit]
Diodes and triodes
John Ambrose Fleming had worked for Edison; in 1904, as scientific
adviser to the Marconi company, he developed the "oscillation valve"
or kenotron. Later known as the diode, it allowed electric current to
flow in only one direction, enabling the rectification of alternating
current. Its operation is described in greater detail in the previous
section.

In 1906 Lee De Forest placed a bent wire serving as a screen between
the filament and plate electrode, later known as the "grid" electrode.
As the voltage applied to the grid was varied from negative to
positive, the amount of electrons flowing from the filament to the
plate would vary accordingly. Thus the grid was said to
electrostatically "control" the plate current. The resulting
three-electrode device was therefore an excellent and very sensitive
amplifier of voltages. DeForest called his invention the "Audion". In
1907, DeForest filed U.S. Patent 879532 for a three-electrode version
of the Audion for use in radio communications. The device is now known
as the triode. De Forest's device was not strictly a vacuum tube, but
clearly depended for its action on ionisation of the relatively high
levels of gas remaining after evacuation. The De Forest company in its
Audion leaflets warned against operation which might cause the vacuum
to become too hard. The first true vacuum triodes were the Pliotrons
developed by Irving Langmuir at the General Electric research
laboratory (Schenectady, New York) in 1915. These were closely
followed by the French 'R' Type which was in widespread use by the
allied military by 1916. These two types were the first true vacuum
tubes.''

-wikipedia

Old August 7th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have an old Popular Science magazine here.(I forget the exact
year/month the magazine was published,somewhere around 1911.It is in one
of the two cardboard boxes of old,old,old Popular Science and Popular
Mechanics magazines I bought at a junk shop in Pensacola,Florida about
sixteen years ago) Inside of the magazine is an article with a picture
about a guy who invented a certain kind of vacuum valve/tube.He says the
valve generates anti gravity.

There is a company in the Huntsville,Alabama area that has developed
equipment that does generate anti gravity.You can use an electric drill
and two or more little metal V/pie shaped wedges and some other simple
odds and ends and build your own anti gravity device.I have either a
Popular Science or Popular Mechanics magazine here which dates back to
the 1960's and there is an article in the magazine that tells all about
it,with pictures too.
cuhulin