Old August 14th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Is there a high end SW radio from China coming ????

Are there ANY portable radios currently being made in Japan?
I thought that the only SW radios still actually made there are the
JRC models at many kilodollars each, and perhaps the actual
manufacturing of those has been shifted offshore, too.

Re a coming Chinese-made radio: Could this have been the
Degen 1106, the design of which actually was sold and eventually
came on the market as the Eton E5?

Or are we talking about a tabletop set equivalent to a Watkins-Johnson
or high-end JRC or the big Ten-Tec?

Actually, I would think that the Chinese military might have a local
contractor making something like that for them, and there isn't any
real reason that such a radio couldn't be offered on the world market.
Any Chinese company certainly now has the incentive to try to expand
their market for any product that's not classified. I wonder if
anything
like that shows up at the Asian trade fairs for military goods,
aircraft,
etc.?

Will

Douche Bag wrote:
The Chinese make junk radios. The Japanese radios are the best. No such
thing as a Chinese high end radio now, or ever.
Michael wrote:
Hiya...

Been a while since I posted here. I remember some months back there was a
thread here regarding the wish list for a new high end receiver that was
being planned. I think the thread was actually started by a Chinese
electronic engineer that was working on the project. At any rate, I forgot
what the story was. Is there a high end receiver on the way from China ???
If so, is it a portable or may be even a table top ???

Thanx in advance !!!

Michael

Old August 14th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Will" ) writes:
Are there ANY portable radios currently being made in Japan?
I thought that the only SW radios still actually made there are the
JRC models at many kilodollars each, and perhaps the actual
manufacturing of those has been shifted offshore, too.

Re a coming Chinese-made radio: Could this have been the
Degen 1106, the design of which actually was sold and eventually
came on the market as the Eton E5?

Or are we talking about a tabletop set equivalent to a Watkins-Johnson
or high-end JRC or the big Ten-Tec?

Because the original poster said something about a previous post here
asking about what features were desired, I'm thinking he just garbled
it.

At one point, Pete, KE9OA, did ask about features for a radio here,
but it was for an AM broadcast band receiver only. That was back in the
fall of 2003. The design did come about, but I can't recall the end point.
Obviously, it has been a while since that happened, and I don't recall
anything about it actually going into production. The company was not
one we'd know for shortwave receivers, may not have even been one most
would recognize.

That's the only time I can remember anyone asking here about features to
put in a radio. Well, it's come up plenty of times as a fantasy game,
but I don't anyone else asking in anticipation of designing a commercial
piece of equipment.

Michael

Old August 15th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Michael Black" wrote in message
"Will" ) writes:
[...]

Hello... I'm 100 % sure there was a thread here about a "wish list" for a
new Chinese sw receiver that was in the works. The thread was started by a
person that was involved in the design/production of the radio. From what I
recall, the radio was going to be along the lines of a Sat-800 as far as
performance goes. I still cant remember if it was a portable or a table
top. I also remember that the thread deteriorated into all sorts of
xenophobic commentary. No one remembers that ??? There were dozens of posts
to that thread.

Michael

Old August 15th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Will wrote:
Are there ANY portable radios currently being made in Japan?
I thought that the only SW radios still actually made there are the
JRC models at many kilodollars each, and perhaps the actual
manufacturing of those has been shifted offshore, too.

Dear Will,

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is made in Japan and to a very high construction
standard too, not even to mention its excellent performance for a small
portable shortwave receiver. It's an excellent value, too, especially
when on sale for under $130.

Re a coming Chinese-made radio: Could this have been the
Degen 1106, the design of which actually was sold and eventually
came on the market as the Eton E5?

Or are we talking about a tabletop set equivalent to a Watkins-Johnson
or high-end JRC or the big Ten-Tec?

The original thread was about a proposed Degen Model 1108. The writer
asked for people to comment on features desired for such a radio. I
believe the designers are considering a radio along the lines of the
Grundig Satellit 800 or Eton E1, but of much higher performance
quality, along the lines of a tabletop.

about this radio which you may want to join.

Actually, I would think that the Chinese military might have a local
contractor making something like that for them, and there isn't any
real reason that such a radio couldn't be offered on the world market.
Any Chinese company certainly now has the incentive to try to expand
their market for any product that's not classified. I wonder if
anything
like that shows up at the Asian trade fairs for military goods,
aircraft,
etc.?

Will

At least one Chinese-made radio is very good and well-made, at least in
my opinion and experience, and that is the dual-conversion Sony
ICF-SW35, the only Sony-brand shortwave receiver manufactured in China.
It's a bit short on features (most notably the lack of a keypad), but
offers very good performance, especially at its price of under $90, and
its construction quality and ruggedness is second to none. I own two
and both are kept in the glove compartments of my cars - winter and
summer - with the batteries removed. When I re-install the batteries,
the memories are still there and all I have to reset is the clock. The
radios are now over four years old and they always work perfectly.

Best,

Joe

Old August 15th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I remember that thread too.I think the guy was in China,,,,, Hong Kong?
cuhulin

Old August 11th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hiya Mike

- Check this one out;

Shirt pocket sized Kaito KA11

http://www.radiointel.com/Radpic/kaito/ka11.jpg

- Not real high end; but double reduction,

1,000 memories and

real real portable

Michael wrote:
Hiya...

Been a while since I posted here. I remember some months back there was a
thread here regarding the wish list for a new high end receiver that was
being planned. I think the thread was actually started by a Chinese
electronic engineer that was working on the project. At any rate, I forgot
what the story was. Is there a high end receiver on the way from China ???
If so, is it a portable or may be even a table top ???

Thanx in advance !!!

Michael

New Jersey
R75
Many portables
Several demented self constructed antennas
Two vintage tube radiois.
One cat.

Old August 16th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Just to add a bit to what I posted befo

We know that China makes SW broadcast transmitting equipment;
they've installed some in Cuba and there were a number of Chinese
technicians stationed there for SWBC support -- not sure if they're
still there or not. Anyway, one would think that a Chinese company
making SW transmitters might get involved in making high-end SW
receiving gear for monitoring, in addition to whatever the Chinese
military or intelligence organizations might want made for them.
Probably would have been more cost-effective, at least in the past,
than spending foreign currency to buy multi-kilobuck receivers from
overseas. They certainly have the capability to clone Watkins-Johnson
and other such receivers made for those markets.

If a $5-$10 K level receiver came on the market for $1K list, I wonder
what the possible sales figures would be?

73, Will