Old August 11th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
gil gil is offline

Default FA: Degen-DE-1103 very nice

http://cgi.ebay.com/Degen-DE-1103-li...QQcmdZViewItem

Old August 11th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Degen-DE-1103 very nice

"gil" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Degen-DE-1103-li...QQcmdZViewItem

Starting price a little high i would think

Old August 11th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

gil wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Degen-DE-1103-li...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm going to have to rain on your parade I'm afraid. There are
apparently some quality control problems that have come up for several
owners of DE1103 radios sold in 2005 and 2006. Check the Yahoo board
for details. I've read stories about boards not being cleaned properly
leading to rapid oxidation and poor connections and ongoing problems
with the optical encoder. Indeed the optical encoder on my DE1103 is
acting squirrely. Turning the wheel slowly in one direction may
actually tune in the opposite direction or it may rapidly jump forward
many channels. That behavior tells me the encoder is dirty or loose
internally. Spinning the encoder for a minute seems to buy some
temporary usability, but it isn't a permanent fix.

Although I've been a big proponent of the DE1103 in the past, I'm going
to have to retract that open recommendation. I would not recommend
that radio unless the price were very very low and the prospective
owner was willing to put up with the frustration of an unstable radio.

Old August 11th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

gil wrote:

[...]

So, John, are you in the market for "high-end" Chery automobile? - LMAO!

Old August 11th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SeeingEyeDog wrote:
"John S." wrote in message
oups.com...

gil wrote:

[...]

Probably another Volvo....

Old August 12th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
gil gil is offline

Its good to see the level of support in this group.

Not sure about the DE-1103's problems but I can assure you all this
radio has been the best under $100. radios I have purchased. I got this
receiver new around 2 years ago and it has worked excellent since, it
has been my bed side receiver and it has served me well on an almost
nightly basis. As a ham, I also know many ham operators that swear by
this little radio.

eHam.net reviews like most other reviews tells it like it is, "a great
little radio".

I think anyone trying to "rain on someone's parade" or discredit
someone's sale perhaps have deeper issues?

Gil

Old August 12th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

gil wrote:
Its good to see the level of support in this group.

Not sure about the DE-1103's problems but I can assure you all this
radio has been the best under $100. radios I have purchased. I got this
receiver new around 2 years ago and it has worked excellent since, it
has been my bed side receiver and it has served me well on an almost
nightly basis. As a ham, I also know many ham operators that swear by
this little radio.

eHam.net reviews like most other reviews tells it like it is, "a great
little radio".

I think anyone trying to "rain on someone's parade" or discredit
someone's sale perhaps have deeper issues?

Gil

Not a very deep subject...the $50.00 radio either works or it doesn't.
Not sure what "issues" deep or otherwise you are referring to.
Possibly you could elaborate.

For an unusual number (but certainly not all) users the DE1103 radio
exhibits symptoms of not being manufactured in the ultra clean
environment that modern electronics require. I've owned Sony, Kenwood
and Panasonic receivers over the years and never experienced or heard
of qc problems like this.

Old August 17th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"gil" wrote

eHam.net reviews like most other reviews tells it like it is, "a great
little radio".

When ratings on eHam for a $25 radio are similiar as the Drake R8B than you
know the eHam ratings don't mean squat!

Old August 18th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
gil gil is offline

Oh boy....now you guys want to compare Drakes, Icoms, Kenwoods etc to a
little portable made in China.

If a radio does everything its supposed to do at good performance to
low price ratio, should it not desrve a 4 or 5?, Or is it the price of
the radio that makes the ratings?

Should a Timex watch not get a 5 rating for working just about forever
for about $30?

But I know..... a Timex is not a good as a Rolex.

"gil" wrote

Old August 19th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article .com,
"gil" wrote:

SeeingEyeDog wrote:
"gil" wrote

eHam.net reviews like most other reviews tells it like it is, "a great
little radio".

When ratings on eHam for a $25 radio are similiar as the Drake R8B than you
know the eHam ratings don't mean squat!

Oh boy....now you guys want to compare Drakes, Icoms, Kenwoods etc to a
little portable made in China.

He is a Troll.

If a radio does everything its supposed to do at good performance to
low price ratio, should it not desrve a 4 or 5?, Or is it the price of
the radio that makes the ratings?

No. A normal expectation would be for an item to work as advertised as a
minimum requirement for purchase. The rating compares an item to its
competitors based on price or in other words is a value comparison. In
order to make a logical comparison then requires that you place an item
in a cost category.

Should a Timex watch not get a 5 rating for working just about forever
for about $30?

But it will not forever.

But I know..... a Timex is not a good as a Rolex.

What does "as good" mean? The Timex will not last as long but as long as
it is working may be just as accurate as the rolex.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California