Old August 24th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Sangean ATS-803A

Some time ago I picked up a Sangean ATS-803A off ebay only to discover that
it was stone deaf off the attached telescoping antenna in the SW bands. I
replaced that with a longer one, same problem. I then hooked it up to one
of those Radio Shack amplified shortwave antennas (also from ebay), and
voila! It works well. Most probably an indicator that something is blown
inside. I sent it to Radio Shack who "tuned & tweaked" it & sent it back,
still stone deaf. After chatting with several other owners of this receiver
on the Yahoo group, I decided to take the plunge & try another one.

Boy am I glad I did! This second one is absolutely amazing! So far, in
just a coupla hours twiddling the knobs, I've received nearly 40 SW
stations!

Now I'm looking to send off my first one to someone competent that knows
what they're doing to get it repaired, as I'm incompetent to (no knowledge
of electronics or soldering, and I'm too old & my hands are too shaky for
delicate work).

Anybody know anybody . . . ?

Old August 24th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Lisa Simpson wrote:
Some time ago I picked up a Sangean ATS-803A off ebay only to discover that
it was stone deaf off the attached telescoping antenna in the SW bands.

IIRC, don't those things have an FET right off the antenna that is
notoriously fragile? Seems this is not a rare problem.

I have my eyes peeled for one at a yard sale, but so far no dice.

Best wishes.

Old August 24th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Michael Lawson" wrote in message

"Lisa Simpson" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I'm happy with the one I've got, but it's nice to see
that you have one that works now.

--Mike L.

yes I have one, they are very good radios indeed
GL

Old August 24th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I obviously have not made myself clear; I am looking for someone competent &
affordable to troubleshoot & repair mine . . .

anybody know anybody?

Old August 24th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I did, now I would like to get my first one repaired.

"Michael Lawson" wrote in message
Oh. I thought you bought a second one.

--Mike L.

. ..

Old August 24th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Jim Jim is offline

i have 3 sangean ats 818 radios. (rs dx390) one stone deaf,one half deaf
and one a red hot rocket. as a matter of fact the red hot one is TOO
HOT! it overloads at nothing at all with images all over the place. good
thing it has rf gain control. the two deaf ones have both had the front
end fet replaced. three different transistors were tried in the
completely deaf one to no avail! i had rat shack do the repair the first
time to the tune of $60. it came back with four screws missing and full
of crud and greasy fingerprints inside, and still completely deaf. now i
wouldnt let rat shack repair a dead battery! i guess that my point is
that the build quality at sangean can be hit and miss. (even though my
two ats 606 /dx399 radios couldnt be more perfect!)

Sangean 803A Dan Shortwave 0 February 6th 06 06:10 PM
FS - Sangean 803A Dan Shortwave 0 January 31st 06 12:05 AM
FS - Sangean 803A Dan Swap 0 January 31st 06 12:05 AM
Rare find. Unopened NIB Sangean 803A Rob R. Shortwave 5 April 10th 04 03:30 PM
Sangean 803A for auction ends 8:39 PM PST keith Shortwave 0 November 9th 03 04:39 AM