Old August 26th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default reccomendations please

can anyone recommend a method of dusting off SW receivers & cleaning them
that does not produce static electricity?

Old August 26th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I think there are anti static wipes/cleaning cloths available on the
market,do some searches on the internet for them and check the
computer/electronic stores in your area.Many years (back in the 1950's)
ago I read that squeezing a cloth in a pan of water with a little
household detergent is good for cleaning tv set screens and helping to
cut down on static electricity.I never tied it though.

Those new LCD and Plasma tv sets and similar screens,(that thin screen
junk) I wouldn't try the water and detergent method on them,I think they
require special care to clean them.I still prefer the good old tried and
true CRT screens.Other people's soybean oil might vary.
cuhulin

Old August 26th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:46:10 GMT, "Lisa Simpson"
wrote:

can anyone recommend a method of dusting off SW receivers & cleaning them
that does not produce static electricity?

If static electricity is an issue you need a humidifier, not only for
your gear but also for your furniture and your lungs.

I use a 99 cent feather duster for all my electronics.
Old August 26th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

You mean Dehumidifier,dont you? Sears stores sell them.I have one (it's
not a Sears brand name) I bought it for seven dollars at the Goodwill
store about ten years ago.I put it on my concrete front porch and
plugged it in.I was surpprised at how fast it filled that little pan up
with water.
cuhulin

Old August 26th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canned_air

Old August 26th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Well,get a pan or bowl of water and add some regular household ordinary
detergent to the water,stir it up real good and give it a try.What have
you got to lose? I am going to do it to my CRT (good old CRT Glass) tv
sets screens next time I vacuum them and then the water and detergent
treatment.I reckon if an area is too dry a humidifier helps put some
moisture in the area.Udderwise if an area is too humid (such as damp
basements) a dehumidifier helps.
cuhulin

Old August 26th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

BDK,I live in Mississippi.It is ALLWAYS humid weather here,every single
day and night of every single year.
cuhulin

Old August 26th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I never have been zapped by static electricity when I touch the metal
door knobs on my front and back doors.All of the other doors in my house
are the nice old fashioned glass door knobs.
cuhulin