Old September 3rd 06, 09:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Small radio for backpack; reception in train?

I recently discovered the joy of shortwave listening with my new
Sangean ATS909.

Now I want to listen to shortwave while commuting on the train. My
ATS909 is too big for that, is there a small and good radio to carry in
a backpack? I can't use a telescopic antenna in a backpack, but is
there a chance of receiving the major broadcasters (e.g. Deutsche Welle
and BBC in Europe), despite the small antenna, metallic train and
electromagnetic disturbances from the train?

If necessary I could run a bit of wire inside the rucksack :-)

Old September 3rd 06, 11:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Try the Grundig Miniworld 100PE smaller then apack
ofcigarettes, uses 2 AA Batteries and very sensitive

Cost about 20 dollars. Batteries lastalong time.
Use a short peice of wire wrapped arounthe tip of the te.whip.
Thislittle radio is rated verygood by most.
Charlie
Essex, Maryland

Old September 3rd 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Suggest you check out the Degen DE1105;

while it does not have SSB, and does not go below 5800 or above 26000

it is very small, does have double reduction, 1,000 memories; and is
very sensitive;

http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1105.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-DE1105-FM-MW...NVERSION-RADIO
_W0QQitemZ9732278846QQihZ008QQcategoryZ15051QQtcZp hotoQQcmdZViewItem

- and suggest a train window antenna fastened with suction cups

clipped onto the whip.

Have fun !

Old September 3rd 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 3 Sep 2006 01:15:48 -0700, "Daniel" wrote:

I recently discovered the joy of shortwave listening with my new
Sangean ATS909.

Now I want to listen to shortwave while commuting on the train. My
ATS909 is too big for that, is there a small and good radio to carry in
a backpack? I can't use a telescopic antenna in a backpack, but is
there a chance of receiving the major broadcasters (e.g. Deutsche Welle
and BBC in Europe), despite the small antenna, metallic train and
electromagnetic disturbances from the train?

If necessary I could run a bit of wire inside the rucksack :-)

Aren't those guys on FM in Europe? I doubt any AM radio is going to
work very well inside a train.
Old September 3rd 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Knock the crap out of somebody and get a window seat on the Train.If
that doesn't work,start farting.
cuhulin

Old September 3rd 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Daniel wrote:
I recently discovered the joy of shortwave listening with my new
Sangean ATS909.

Now I want to listen to shortwave while commuting on the train. My
ATS909 is too big for that, is there a small and good radio to carry...

.................................................. .................................................. ...........
I tried that but the elecrical noise was way too high for shortwave. FM
was ok though. I think the first thing to do is to take your present
radio and see how high the noise is on the train before you go and buy
another radio.

Old September 3rd 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Aren't those guys on FM in Europe?

You get only crap on FM, cheap regional broadcasters which sound all
the same.

Old September 7th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Daniel wrote:
I recently discovered the joy of shortwave listening with my new
Sangean ATS909.

Now I want to listen to shortwave while commuting on the train. My
ATS909 is too big for that, is there a small and good radio to carry in
a backpack? I can't use a telescopic antenna in a backpack, but is
there a chance of receiving the major broadcasters (e.g. Deutsche Welle
and BBC in Europe), despite the small antenna, metallic train and
electromagnetic disturbances from the train?

If necessary I could run a bit of wire inside the rucksack :-)

Shortwave reception will be pretty tough on a train, even sitting next
to a window. You will probably have lots of electrical interference.
Give it a try - who knows. Your best chances for catching shortwave
signals will of course be a night. FM reception should be ok though.