Old September 5th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default The Crystal Ship w/ special Labor Day programming

Happy Labor Day to all!

The Crystal Ship will be taking to the airwaves this evening on about 6,875
kHz AM, starting at 2300 UTC and likely continuing through the evening.
Transmission will be made with a Johnson Viking Valiant, with a carrier
output of approximately 170 watts AM mode.

We have a special Labor Day program tonight, with songs about labor, jobs,
hard economic times, and even historical union songs-- spanning several
genres from rock to folk to country-- from Rush to Glen Campbell.

We may loop the program and repeat, so those tuning in later or in the west
(0100/0200 UTC) may still be able to catch it. Just give it a try on
6874/6875 kHz.

As always, we'd welcome a 'heads up' from those who are able to tune us in
along with any program comments, pro or con, email us at

Any first-time reporters desiring QSLs should send their reception
reports including some program details to that email address (which we
actually prefer), or may send it to our maildrop including return postage:

The Crystal Ship
P.O. Box 1
Belfast, N.Y. 14711

Wishing you all an enjoyable holiday and good DX!

--
73s and FIGHT for FREE RADIO!

The Poet, aka John Poet
The Crystal Ship

The Free Radio Weekly: A weekly Email publication with the most current
pirate loggings and information now being published anywhere! Send your

and tell 'em that we sent ya!

The Free Radio Network:
http://www.frn.net/
F.R.N. Message Boards: http://www.frn.net/vines/

Pirate Radio Archive: http://www.piratedxer.com/archive.htm
Pirate Radio Webstreams: http://www.hakston.tripod.com/

(via dxAce)

Old September 5th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article .com,
"N9NEO" wrote:

Just out of the noise here in Uxbridge, MA 00:30 UTC. Listening on
the R75 on the Twisted Terminated Folded Dipole in the Attic .

Snip

You mean Tilted Terminated Folded Dipole (T2FD)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T2FD_Antenna

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 5th 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hi Telamon,

It started out as a tilted dipole, but I didn't have enough height in
the attic, so RHF suggested that I twist it around about it's axis. It
works very nice, but still some noise from all the electronic gadgets
in the house. In the fall I will stick a long wire across the river in
the way back.

regards,
Bob

Old September 7th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article . com,
"N9NEO" wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article .com,
"N9NEO" wrote:

Just out of the noise here in Uxbridge, MA 00:30 UTC. Listening on
the R75 on the Twisted Terminated Folded Dipole in the Attic .

Snip

You mean Tilted Terminated Folded Dipole (T2FD)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T2FD_Antenna

Hi Telamon,

It started out as a tilted dipole, but I didn't have enough height in
the attic, so RHF suggested that I twist it around about it's axis. It
works very nice, but still some noise from all the electronic gadgets
in the house. In the fall I will stick a long wire across the river in
the way back.

Nothing wrong with the dipole being horizontal instead of tilted. I do
not think twisting it is a great idea but it looks like it works OK.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 8th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article om,
"N9NEO" wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article . com,
"N9NEO" wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article .com,
"N9NEO" wrote:

[...]

Did you simulate it?

It seems to work very nice, but I don't have a lot of experience with
too many swl antennas. as I said already, RHF suggested the twist.
I'm not sure if he had simulated or not.

No I don't simulate antennas. Antennas follow basic rules and usually
all you have to do is apply some logic. I don't see any advantage to
twisting a folded dipole other than shorting the physical space need for
one cut to some frequency. Coiling elements generally causes them to be
less effective on receive so I don't expect doing so would result in an
improvement. If you can fit a folded dipole in the space you have cut to
the lowest frequency you want to receive then there is no reason to
twist it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California